Turn Fins

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick J

Guys,

Just wanted to pick your brains a little.

Last weekend I ran my newly built Midwest Missile gas rigger (I know I know nitro site :p ), but I experienced something I never have with riggers until now.

When running and beginning to dial her in I watched what could be described as the right sponson climbing out of the water when going through a turn. It was pulling hard through the turns and had great speed, but I would like to settle the ride attitude down a little before pushing her some more.

What are your experiences with this scenario happening with a rigger?? Too much "bite" in the roll of the fin perhaps??

Johno

tilt the back of the fin up a little, about a degree or two.
This maybe a band aid for the real problem. The fin is just not working well with the boat. By tilting the fin back that way you will add down force on the fin. This will help in the corners but that down force will be there in the straights as well causeing the boat to track right. Lets see a pic of it. WHo made the fin? The bend of fin should be parrallel with the ride of the boat. If the fin is tilted to far forward it will cause it to lift because it acts as a hydrafoil. This is what Nigtmare thinks the problem is.

Mike

Also if the back of the boat is dropping it puts the bend of the fin into a possitive angle of attack. Watch the boat very carefully. If it drops the rear kicking the rudder back slightly will help.

Mark

Thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking in a round about kinda way but wasn't 100% sure. Fin is an accutech fin, very nicely made too might I add. Talk about strong, no flex at all.

I have milled some slots in her to allow for adjustment and will give it another crack this weekend weather permitting. In the mean time I will try to grab some pics of the set up.

Johno

Thanks guys, kinda what I was thinking in a round about kinda way but wasn't 100% sure. Fin is an accutech fin, very nicely made too might I add. Talk about strong, no flex at all.

I have milled some slots in her to allow for adjustment and will give it another crack this weekend weather permitting. In the mean time I will try to grab some pics of the set up.

Johno
Got it sorted. Added some more hook to the bottom of the fin and it is near perfect to how I wanted it.

Thanks for the responses.............and Aaron for the good info, worked a treat

Latest posts

Back