Turbo Plugs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know O'Donnell has been waiting on wire for 289 plugs for over 2 months now I ordered 100 back in October was told end of December then sent Robin a text and she said that they were waiting on a roll of wire

Mike,

The R5 Turbo will work well in 21 and 45 size engines. The R6 Turbo will work well in 45 and larger size engines.

If you are running 50% and higher nitro content in a 45, I'd suggest the R6 Turbo plugs.

I have a big supply of both plugs.

Al

Mike,

The R5 Turbo will work well in 21 and 45 size engines. The R6 Turbo will work well in 45 and larger size engines.

If you are running 50% and higher nitro content in a 45, I'd suggest the R6 Turbo plugs.

I have a big supply of both plugs.

Al
I bought the R6 plugs from Al for my nova .46 powered rigger and they worked perfectly. I run 60% in it.

ok I will ask , because well if you don"t, no matter how dumb the ? - you still dont know.
default_rolleyes.gif

Whats the advantage of of Turbo plug vs a Standard type plug ?

I would assume it applies to smaller motor's as It was never a thought in the 90 - 101 stuff.

So does it apply to heat ranges and head clearance/bowl volume stuff once you leap over the edge of run what ya brung ???

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I will ask , because well if you don"t, no matter how dumb the ? - you still dont know.
default_rolleyes.gif

Whats the advantage of of Turbo plug vs a Standard type plug ? Marty ??
The turbo plug seals at the face of the plug. A standard plug seals at the washer. The advantages will require its own thread. Lol

default_rolleyes.gif

The turbo plug seals at the face of the plug. A standard plug seals at the washer.The advantages will require its own thread. Lol
The topic has been discussed at length. There should be a thread here on I/W and probably was one on Marty's rcboat.com many years ago.

Whatever is the exact reason, they have been proven to produce more power when compared to a standard plug with the same wire from the same manufacture.

I did back to back testing on the bench with a Picco 21 in 1994. The cone-loc (turbo) plug was good for an additional 500 to 600 rpm. The turbo head and the standard head used for the tests were both cnc machined to identical dimensions.

default_rolleyes.gif

The turbo plug seals at the face of the plug. A standard plug seals at the washer.The advantages will require its own thread. Lol
The topic has been discussed at length. There should be a thread here on I/W and probably was one on Marty's rcboat.com many years ago.

Whatever is the exact reason, they have been proven to produce more power when compared to a standard plug with the same wire from the same manufacture.

I did back to back testing on the bench with a Picco 21 in 1994. The cone-loc (turbo) plug was good for an additional 500 to 600 rpm. The turbo head and the standard head used for the tests were both cnc machined to identical dimensions.
Did you test it between .21 motors as well as - lets say 101 applications Andy B ?

I guess my question is , did it benefit the smaller motor more ? and / or -did you see any major gains in the larger motors by using that plug ?

I can say with out question.. in my racing program.. a turbo plug or its style... was never responsible for a heat win.

Grim

I should go on to say.,. WITHOUT question.. they have in the past cost me more money then a standard plug...

I used to run the #7 Rossi plugs in my Rossi .21 Niagara, those things were hard to kill! I could have a plug last all season. Sure, they cost more than a regular glow plug but if spending more for a plug that'll last more than a few runs, it's worth it.

Most of the time its not the plugs fault (although I got a bad card one time..)

Its either the wrong choice for the application, lean run, the motor is coming apart,. i.e. bearing, rod whatever or the oil or water in the fuel beating the snot out of it.

Lots going on to keep the little buggers alive!

At the end of the day.. I have not found major benefit from a high dollar plug. Be it cone lock or platinum content. The type of RC boating I enjoy and maybe that’s the question.. is for me.. good old heat racing. I make WAY too many mistakes on the water to justify a more costly plug IF I can avoid it. Lol

Grim

To be able to gain the performance benefit from the use of any turbo plug, the taper of the sealing seat area must match exactly the taper on the plug. The posted print shows the very small area where the sealing should take place.

JA

.625 bore barrel carburetor on QD 122.jpg

Back