Tuned Pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklimpel

All;

Can you replace one tuned pipe with two that are 1/2 the size??

My custom winter project is almost done....and although the original design had only one 18" tuned pipe, I think it would look alot better with dual exhaust.. (2X 9" pipes)..but I don't want to sacrifice too much performance.

Can I use two smaller displacement pipes which equal the one larger one and still maintain a respectable performance level??

I would have to make a custom split header (Y-pipe)...and one side would be longer than the other...but I don't think that would be a problem...would it?? I would be using 1.2" SS pipe...so there shouldnt be any back-pressure probs.

Have any of you guys done anything like this?? How did it go??

Any suggestions or comments would be kewl!! I want to start cutting the transom this weekend and get everything roughed in...but wanted to consult with the experts.

Jeff,

Remmember that the tuned length is important, so if the two pipes are half as long the tuned length will be too short.

Dual pipes have been tried before without much success I think. I would guess you are increasing the flow losses associated with the walls of the pipe by having two of them.

Could look neat tho!

Ian.

NC;

kewl. Thanks for the info. I figure I would lose a bit of overall performance....but don't know how much...and I've seen all of the math req'd to figure out optimal pipe length, but didn't know how to apply it with/to two pipes.

You re-affirmed everything I thought. I may try it anyways....since dual exhaust still looks cooler. 8) ...

Thanks for the quick response.

Stay Cool!

Jeff,

I don't know your setup, but could you instead of using 2 tuned pipes, use an attachment on your stinger to give the same affect of dual exhaust? Make a "Y" or a "T" pipe that attaches to the stinger of the one tuned pipe

Just a thought

2 stingers is a reasonable idea,two expansion chambers is not,study up on them just halving the dimensions will not produce the results you are looking for.

Back