Trick to keep castor in solution?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another update to this old thread.

Been having the same issues so did some testing. The amyl acetate seems to have no effect on keeping the castor in solution. I mixed up to 5% of it in my 70% fuel and with or without it the fuel started to cloud up at exactly 25*C (77F), that was with Blendzall castor. Warm it above that temp and it cleared right up.

I mixed some fuel with Sig AA castor and it stayed clear to 22C (72F). I'm not positive if the brand of oil is the difference, it might be the length of time sitting around that has something to do with it. The Blendzall fuel was six months old while the Sig was mixed fresh.
default_huh.png
. Terry, Jim Allen spelled it wrong but he is correct. Nitro Benzene is what you need. If your fuel is milky white, pour some in and it goes crystal clear. My Dad learned that from the controlline speed days. ****, y'all keep it up and there will not be any secrets left. This thread shows a lot of people (even fast guys) did not know of this. Problem is, it is very hard to get your hands on it. Jeff lutz
i guess we won't even talk about POLY PROPYLENE
default_ph34r.png
default_rolleyes.gif
yes us fast Plane guy's know a bunch of secrets too!!
I think you meant propylene oxide :)

Been having the same issues so did some testing. The amyl acetate seems to have no effect on keeping the castor in solution. I mixed up to 5% of it in my 70% fuel and with or without it the fuel started to cloud up at exactly 25*C (77F), that was with Blendzall castor. Warm it above that temp and it cleared right up.

I mixed some fuel with Sig AA castor and it stayed clear to 22C (72F). I'm not positive if the brand of oil is the difference, it might be the length of time sitting around that has something to do with it. The Blendzall fuel was six months old while the Sig was mixed fresh.
default_huh.png
. Terry, Jim Allen spelled it wrong but he is correct. Nitro Benzene is what you need. If your fuel is milky white, pour some in and it goes crystal clear. My Dad learned that from the controlline speed days. ****, y'all keep it up and there will not be any secrets left. This thread shows a lot of people (even fast guys) did not know of this. Problem is, it is very hard to get your hands on it. Jeff lutz
default_ph34r.png
default_rolleyes.gif
. Polypropylene is a good plastic for certain applications, but yes we probably should not "talk about it" in this thread.

Polypropylene is a good plastic for certain applications, but yes we probably should not "talk about it" in this thread.
LOL! The only "stuff" to not talk about is Tetra Nitro Methane or Hydrazine, from "the book" -

The use of Tetra Nitro Methane or Hydrazine is illegal in all phases of model boating
controlled by IMPBA.

A couple of fuel manufacturers add propylene oxide to their fuels and if you choose to use it on your own be very careful with it as it has a ridiculously low flash point.

default_huh.png
default_ph34r.png
default_rolleyes.gif
I think you meant propylene oxide :)
thanks eric,had a brain fart...was trying to type and do something else at the same time..we used to used that in 72% nitro in out class 1 C/L carrier planes.. nasty ****!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used it in boats for almost a year in amounts ranging from 4% to 40% and saw no advantage that made it worth while. It is almost impossible to keep it from evaporating out of the fuel very quickly.

I used it in boats for almost a year in amounts ranging from 4% to 40% and saw no advantage that made it worth while. It is almost impossible to keep it from evaporating out of the fuel very quickly.
yes,we would only mix it right before flying that morning. i think we seen a difference because our engines did not have tuned pipes and we needed all the help we could get. i had a really good engine guy back in 1980-1882,his name was Tom Roman from NY.

Back