The JVD Sport 20 V.2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
I had an opportunity this past weekend to begin working on another Sport 20 Hydroplane. On Sunday, I watched lots of football(go Seahawks, thanks for nothing Patriots) on the tv in my shop as I cut and glued.

The JVD Sport 20 V.2 is a different design from the "Sprigger 20" I built last year. I basically replicated the center section of my very successful Bruce Mooring "Snake Sport 20" but kept the afterplane vertical. The sponsons will be glued onto a keelson running the full length of the hull. The front of the sponsons are rounded and the sponson sides are flat. The design concept was to make the boat look like some of the newer full scale 2.5 Mod Hydroplanes.

The boat is 30"(1" shorter than my Snake boat) and overall 14 1/2" wide(1" less in width than my Snake). However the JAE type sponson running pads are spaced at a width of 11 1/2" compared to 9" for my Snake.

More photos will follow as I complete the project. I've attached a photo of my JVD Sport 20 V.1.

JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, build it up and get it ready for the Indy Masters race in Hobart. Like to keep the sport 20 hydro class running at the Masters.

I plan to get a nitro sport 20 Stealth going agian this year.

I have completed more work on my JVD Sport 20 V.2. My goal is to have it ready to test by our club's New Year's Day Fun Run. I'll have it sealed with West Systems by early next week.

About all I have left construction wise is to build the radio box and install the radio.

Merry Christmas,

JD

I have completed more work on my JVD Sport 20 V.2. My goal is to have it ready to test by our club's New Year's Day Fun Run. I'll have it sealed with West Systems by early next week.

About all I have left construction wise is to build the radio box and install the radio.

Merry Christmas,

JD
Where would one, get ahold of one of those cowl's?

Merry Christmas,

JD
Mike Hughes now has the mold for that cowling. It is epoxy glass. I think his e-mail is [email protected]

JD

Merry Christmas,

JD
Mike Hughes now has the mold for that cowling. It is epoxy glass. I think his e-mail is [email protected]

JD
Thank You Sir

Got in a couple of hours on the project before guest started to arrive for our family Christmas Eve gathering. The radio box is real close to being finished. Just need to make the top lid of the box. It could be ready to test by this weekend.

Happy Holidays,

JD

Got in a couple of hours on the project before guest started to arrive for our family Christmas Eve gathering. The radio box is real close to being finished. Just need to make the top lid of the box. It could be ready to test by this weekend.

Happy Holidays,

JD
Hey I remember those Christmas Eve gatherings...GREAT MEMORIES!!

GQ

Just finished applying a coating of West Systems to the bottom of the hull. Applied WS to the top earlier today. I have all the components to run the boat ready to be installed. Weather permitting, I'll test the hull on Saturday. I'll post some photos of the completed boat. I always test run my boats sealed with WS before painting.

JD

Why put off testing to Saturday if you can test on Friday? Weather today was mid 40s, no wind, and I had the boat ready to run by 1:00 p.m.

I stuck on a full X442, set the strut depth to 1" and pretty flat, and borrowed the Mike Hughes turn fin off my Snake Sport 20. The engine is an O.S. Max 21 XZ-M ABN and 50% Grim Racer fuel.

Before heading to the lake, I started the boat outside my shop. I'd forgot to securely tighten bolts holding the motor mount and the brass sheer bolt on the Speed Master rudder bracket. With everything tighten up, I headed for the lake.

I started the engine, walked down to the water's edge, and gently launched the boat. It jumped up on step and immediately it was obvious this was working much, much better than the JVD V1 I built last year. It was running flat, with just a bit of over steer in the turns. I ran it for about 5 minutes and brought it in for an adjustment to the steering linkage. I filled the tank, started the engine again, and this time I basically just placed the boat in the water. Again it jump up on step and the with linkage adjustment was really making great turns.

To say I was pleased with the first time on the water for this design would be a tremendous understatement. I might have achieved my goal of building a better mouse trap. However, the real proof will be when I run this boat against my good old reliable Snake Sport 20.

JD

Ok speedy I havent got my bottom sheeting on and your already on the water ! :lol:

I like it, Not rad as V1, Still cool thou.......

Gene

are you going to make a file for laser cutting available? Looks real simple to build... Come on man,.. give us the plans!

Had a great day testing props today. The following props seemed to work the best: Grim Racer 40X52 3 Blade, GR 42X55, Octura X-437 3 Blade, and Octura X-442. All those props were stock, but balanced and sharpened. A stock Octura X-445 proved to be too much prop. The boat ran, but the engine would not unload. The Octura X-440 3 Blade also worked, but seemed to have a bit more lift and I stuffed the boat running WOT through a corner in some wake chop. I have not changed the strut setting since I began testing.

I also had an opportunity to fly my Zipp Kits Sea Monkey after I finished running the hydro. That put a nice cap on a great day at the lake.

Happy New Year,

JD

hay uncale dunny how about more info on this sea monkey?

Marty
Hi Marty,

Lots of information on the Sea Monkey on the Zipp Kits website. Really a great flying "slo flyer." My son, Paul, has the first one I built. Today we were out flying them at the same time. I plan to bring mine to all the model boat races to fly after the racing is done. It's the easiest flying model airplane I've ever owned.

JD

Looks SPORTY
Hi Mike,

Jim Mameril is going to bring his Whip Lash Sport 20 to our New Year's Day fun run so I'll get an opportunity to see how it stacks up against another Sport 20. I wanted the V.2 to look like a full size limited. It works so much better than the V.1. I plan to start finishing the V.2 after Tuesday's fun run.

Happy New Year,

JD

Back