Telescoping pipe over header

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I do Marty, I taper them to a knife edge (about 30 degrees) on the inside.
DING! DING! DING!

Telescoping the pipe over the header works GREAT as long as you taper the inside of the header opening so the return pulse does not hit the "step" caused by the blunt cut end of the header. And as was previously mentioned you need the header to not extend into the beginning of the pipe cone, transition between the two must be smooth.
default_smile.png

That's what I do Marty, I taper them to a knife edge (about 30 degrees) on the inside.
DING! DING! DING!

Telescoping the pipe over the header works GREAT as long as you taper the inside of the header opening so the return pulse does not hit the "step" caused by the blunt cut end of the header. And as was previously mentioned you need the header to not extend into the beginning of the pipe cone, transition between the two must be smooth.
default_smile.png
YES, for the optimum results.

I used to make fixtures to hold the header in the lathe and then cut the knife edge using a boring bar. If you don't have a lathe, the cutting tool shown in the pics works pretty good by hand. Not sure what you call this tool, maybee someone who is a machinist can help with the name of it?

Swivel Cutter 1.JPG

Swivel Cutter 2.JPG

You can get a deburring tool like that at menards, home depot ir your local hardware store. .. I use for deburring conduit

well this topic sounds to be full of GREAT info can anyone tell me the right distance of a pipe, I have a cat hull (glass) with a picco 80 and the pipe looks to be way too long. what is the set length from motor out to the center of the fat part and total length, I need ideas thanks

well this topic sounds to be full of GREAT info can anyone tell me the right distance of a pipe, I have a cat hull (glass) with a picco 80 and the pipe looks to be way too long. what is the set length from motor out to the center of the fat part and total length, I need ideas thanks
A good range would be 11- 3/4 - 12 " from the center of the engine , glow plug , out to the largest od of the pipe . What pipe do you have ?

When my daughter lived in savannah GA, there neighbor worked for Gulf Stream aircraft co., we met him at a party, I started talking about boat's, engines, pipes, exhausts, volumes, velocity's and other related stuff, then he told me why he was so interested, turns out he worked with computational fluid design on the Gulf Stream 650 air plane including all of the flying surfaces as well as the fuselage, and placement of fuselage exterior components such as antennas, he invited me to do some deminsional drawings the next time I visited, took a while to draw 6 headers and 6 different pipes, spent a Saturday afternoon at his work space having fun, turns out velocity wins. Was super interesting and loads of fun.

Mobydickk

When my daughter lived in savannah GA, there neighbor worked for Gulf Stream aircraft co., we met him at a party, I started talking about boat's, engines, pipes, exhausts, volumes, velocity's and other related stuff, then he told me why he was so interested, turns out he worked with computational fluid design on the Gulf Stream 650 air plane including all of the flying surfaces as well as the fuselage, and placement of fuselage exterior components such as antennas, he invited me to do some deminsional drawings the next time I visited, took a while to draw 6 headers and 6 different pipes, spent a Saturday afternoon at his work space having fun, turns out velocity wins. Was super interesting and loads of fun.

Mobydickk
Hi Dick! Great to see your post! I hope that means you are doing well.

Wishing you many many more days, months, years at the boat pond!
default_smile.png

Back