Surface and Air Radios

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraysonTaylor

Supporting Member
When radios were AM or FM the Surface vs Air bands were enforced by the FCC. Now that we have spread spectrum radios, does the designation still matter?

I got a Spektrum 9 channel earlier this year for plane usage. I know telemetry isn't all that it's cracked up to be, but saving the lowest receiver voltage is fantastic! Just testing with an 11 servo plane on the bench shows me that my new receiver battery has a tough time under load. I would love that in my boat. Receiver wise, there is the Carbon Fuselage receiver with two longer antennas, 6" or so. The airplane guys are into multi antennas. Better than the short little ones that I have used in a couple of cars.

I guess my question is if people are going to freak out if I show up at the pond with an Air radio? Would it be disallowed at a race?

I read the post that got into standard vs marine receivers and 2.4 reflections off of the water. We probably don't need to rehash that one. Any new points a view would be good though.

Thanks

I just bought a Taranis 9 channel pro and am using it for boats. It's your preference as to a stick radio or wheel and I don't think it matters now that we are on 2.4. I could be wrong but someone will say.

Brad

I think a better question of the same thought is, has the FCC designated 2.4 GHZ as ground or air?? Frequency wise and operation of our toys doesn't matter if they are crossing land,water or air.. I have seen this addressed by niether NAMBA nor IMPBA when you say DSM on entry your in!! Maybe I should not post this but somebody has to be the DIPSTICK to bring attention to it??

Later!!

Pat

Okay, let's cover EVERYTHING in the US:

27MHz doesn't matter

50MHz doesn't matter EXCEPT you have to have an FCC HAM LICENSE to use this band

72MHz aircraft only

75MHz surface only

2.4GHz doesn't matter

The laws didn't change on any of the old bands, the radio must be a narrow band or upgraded to narrow band and gold stickered to be used LEGALLY

I didn't include the toy grade stuff put out by Radio Shack and the like since they run on different frequencies than anything we would use

Last edited by a moderator:
Back