Steering Servos for Gas Tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iv seen a gas outboard destroy a 5955 thats why we use two servos for steering these boat
i did rockcrawling for a while about 6 years ago just when it first took off theres a lot less force

on the steering servo in a truck like that your only moving a small patch of rubber when you turn

my gas outboard on its own leg, pipe, zenoah weighs 9lb then you add prop force and so on
IF you rockcrawler 6 years ago nothing is the same. special compound tires now, much higher torque, brushless, etc. even my rig from 2 seasons ago has no chance to compete today. the contact patch on a super class crawler is at least 4 times the size now. AS for the servos giving up the ghost, That is usually the fault of the user and improperly set epa's.. after all these are robot type servos (just with stops installed)
here is a pic it is not slow,

STA72074.JPG

STA72073.JPG

iv seen a gas outboard destroy a 5955 thats why we use two servos for steering these boat
i did rockcrawling for a while about 6 years ago just when it first took off theres a lot less force

on the steering servo in a truck like that your only moving a small patch of rubber when you turn

my gas outboard on its own leg, pipe, zenoah weighs 9lb then you add prop force and so on
IF you rockcrawler 6 years ago nothing is the same. special compound tires now, much higher torque, brushless, etc. even my rig from 2 seasons ago has no chance to compete today. the contact patch on a super class crawler is at least 4 times the size now. AS for the servos giving up the ghost, That is usually the fault of the user and improperly set epa's.. after all these are robot type servos (just with stops installed)

That's the way I see mine working... I like that.

That's the way I see mine working... I like that.

Hi Derrick,

Check out this servo.
Rgds

Alu_Star.jpg

alustar_01.jpg

Hi Derrick
I send you the pics on 2-12, hope you will post them.

Best regards

Marc
Hi Marc,

here are the pictures of the steering setup of your gas tunnel. Very nice setup.

Steering1.jpg

Steering2.jpg

Steering3.jpg

Steering4.jpg

Steering5.jpg

What is the torque requirement for the servo if you use one servo? or two?

Those sure are some nice setups, a bit to much for a first gas build for me though, does anyone have any pics of different setups for the servos?

thanks,

Doug

Those sure are some nice setups, a bit to much for a first gas build for me though, does anyone have any pics of different setups for the servos?

thanks,

Doug
We tested quite a few combinations of servos in our new Illusion gas tunnel, and we determined that it requires at least 600 oz/in of torque.

We use two of the Hitec 805 servos (686 oz/in).

We tried one servo (343 oz/in), but it was not enough.

The interesting thing is that the boat would turn, but not predictably at all. For the longest time, it seemed like we were chasing our tail on hull bottom design, when in fact it was a case of insufficient turning force causing all sorts of wierd behavior in the turns.

You also want to make sure that the servos have strong cases, as a standard sized servo, even if it has enough torque, will snap the case instantly...

Quite a bit of turning resistance on these drives due to the caster effect of the long distance from the transom to the skeg.

This is what we found during more than 150 runs in testing.

Joe

thanks,

Doug
We tested quite a few combinations of servos in our new Illusion gas tunnel, and we determined that it requires at least 600 oz/in of torque.

We use two of the Hitec 805 servos (686 oz/in).

We tried one servo (343 oz/in), but it was not enough.

The interesting thing is that the boat would turn, but not predictably at all. For the longest time, it seemed like we were chasing our tail on hull bottom design, when in fact it was a case of insufficient turning force causing all sorts of wierd behavior in the turns.

You also want to make sure that the servos have strong cases, as a standard sized servo, even if it has enough torque, will snap the case instantly...

Quite a bit of turning resistance on these drives due to the caster effect of the long distance from the transom to the skeg.

This is what we found during more than 150 runs in testing.

Joe
Thanks Joe,

That is the info I was looking for, so as long as you have a combination of at least 600 oz/in you will be fine, strong case and metal gears of course.

You the man Joe,

Doug

Back