Start Clocks

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allan Hoyle

I would like to know the forum's thoughts on starting clocks. We will be holding our first IMPBA race here in Wichita Ks. on August 11-12 and since, in the past we were a APBA club, we used a audio start clock. I have read where some clubs use a open face clock and also a digital clock. Just need to know if there is any objections to a audio clock instead of the others. Thanks

Allan Hoyle

I would like to know the forum's thoughts on starting clocks. We will be holding our first IMPBA race here in Wichita Ks. on August 11-12 and since, in the past we were a APBA club, we used a audio start clock. I have read where some clubs use a open face clock and also a digital clock. Just need to know if there is any objections to a audio clock instead of the others. Thanks

Allan Hoyle
I love that Audio Clock! We started using them about 8years ago or so here in Dist 4. I thought it was so much easier for both the driver and the pitman to get that perfect start. thats just my opinion though :(

Larry Jr.

Allan Hoyle
I love that Audio Clock! We started using them about 8years ago or so here in Dist 4. I thought it was so much easier for both the driver and the pitman to get that perfect start. thats just my opinion though :(

Larry Jr.
Thanks for your opinion Larry. We also can go from pit time right into the mill time if all drivers are ready and give a high sign. It saves some time that way. Do you see any problem with that?

Allan

I've actually come to like the audio clock, it saves the pit man from having to call the times.

Thanks for your opinion Larry. We also can go from pit time right into the mill time if all drivers are ready and give a high sign. It saves some time that way. Do you see any problem with that?

Allan

I see a huge problem with that, really you should be where you want to be on the course before the mill time. If Im the last boat out and everyone put their hand up and I wasnt where I wanted to be, I would wait till Im in position :D Its a bad Idea. You shouldnt have to change where you are on the course because others arent ready. It would take away from those who have great timing skills. Again, you should be where you want to before the final 30 sec. I never had a problem with a clock in the middle of the pond. It is still something to hit though, ask my father!! :lol: He put a hole in the side of the Aluminum row boat that the clock was sittin on with his F mono. Ahh, those were the days. Im sticking with the Audio ;)

Larry

I personally don't have a problem with an audio clock, but I do have with waiving pit time and cutting the course. Please run by IMPBA rules.

Just curious.....for those that use an Audio Clock. Is it 2:00 mill clock and :30 start? Just wondered if they were all the same or anyone was using something different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious.....for those that use an Audio Clock. Is it 2:00 mill clock and :30 start? Just wondered if they were all the same or anyone was using something different.
I don't know how others deal with it, but I think of it as 2:30 and then racing begins.

Allan Hoyle

Larry Jr.

While I do like the Audio Clock, I still prefer a visual clock that also displays the heat # almost constantly.

It's a quick reference especially at a big event.

And it cuts down on drivers asking the CD and score keeper "What's up next"

Steve

While I do like the Audio Clock, I still prefer a visual clock that also displays the heat # almost constantly.

Good point, we talked about this last weekend.

Allan
I see a huge problem with that, really you should be where you want to be on the course before the mill time. If Im the last boat out and everyone put their hand up and I wasnt where I wanted to be, I would wait till Im in position :D Its a bad Idea. You shouldnt have to change where you are on the course because others arent ready. It would take away from those who have great timing skills. Again, you should be where you want to before the final 30 sec. I never had a problem with a clock in the middle of the pond. It is still something to hit though, ask my father!! :lol: He put a hole in the side of the Aluminum row boat that the clock was sittin on with his F mono. Ahh, those were the days. Im sticking with the Audio ;)

Well Larry that is why I am asking for all of your guys opinions. See when I raced APBA we would launch and complete one lap then you could cut the course after the start finish line. Then after that you could cut to the back straight anywhere between the first and second corner. So you could make up any time that you were off the clock. But if I am taking what you said right the guys with the good starts are the ones that get there boats started at a certian time on the clock and pace themselves so they hit the start on the money. Is that right?

Allan

Larry

I personally don't have a problem with an audio clock, but I do have with waiving pit time and cutting the course. Please run by IMPBA rules.
No problem Bob with us staying with the IMPBA rules. I am just asking so I can learn how you guys run things and what you all like. I hope you will be able to come to the Wichita and Del City race.

Allan

Allan Hoyle

Larry Jr.

That is a good point Steve. But don't you announce what heat is next? We allways announced it three times to make sure everyone knew what heat was next. And I allways checked the heats off on the heat sheet I was given at the race. Is this a big problem? Just asking :)

Allan

Steve

Mike the CD I made up is two minutes and 30 seconds. I start out announcing two minutes and 30 seconds. Then I announce the count down for the first minute every 10 seconds, then the second minute I go to every five seconds and for the last 30 seconds I go 29,28,27, and so forth till I reach zero and a horn blows. Does this sound good to everyone?

i know we have the 2 minutes to start our motors and 30 seconds to mill time , why not start the clock at 1 minute and 30 second and leave out the cutting of the course.

Guys,

If you are going to use IMPBA rules, there is no intentional cutting of the course at any time, period. Penalties or DQ can be imposed. NAMBA if I recall correctly does allow for cutting the course in the last 30 seconds of mill time. I have no clue what APBA allows.

Suggest you follow the rules that govern your sanctioning and insurance covering your site and club. If you significantly deviate from the association's rules and have an accident you may find that the coverage might be denied. Just an added thought to consider.

Guys,

If you are going to use IMPBA rules, there is no intentional cutting of the course at any time, period. Penalties or DQ can be imposed. NAMBA if I recall correctly does allow for cutting the course in the last 30 seconds of mill time. I have no clue what APBA allows.

Suggest you follow the rules that govern your sanctioning and insurance covering your site and club. If you significantly deviate from the association's rules and have an accident you may find that the coverage might be denied. Just an added thought to consider.
Ok John and Jeff I want to make sure I clear this up. When I spoke of cutting the course I was talking about when I was in the APBA. Now our club is IMPBA and there will be no cutting of the course. Just wanted to make that clear and sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Allan

Guys,

Ok John and Jeff I want to make sure I clear this up. When I spoke of cutting the course I was talking about when I was in the APBA. Now our club is IMPBA and there will be no cutting of the course. Just wanted to make that clear and sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Allan
I personally like the audio clock and it saves the host club the cost of a floating clock. How many races have you been to where the floating clock breaks. The less you talk the better, let the racers listen to the audio clock. You might mention it on your race flyer as the audio clock is not covered in the IMPBA rule book. No cutting the course in IMPBA.

Guys,

Allan
I personally like the audio clock and it saves the host club the cost of a floating clock. How many races have you been to where the floating clock breaks. The less you talk the better, let the racers listen to the audio clock. You might mention it on your race flyer as the audio clock is not covered in the IMPBA rule book. No cutting the course in IMPBA.
Yep you are right Rip. One thing I learned is to post things on the flyer so you give the racers a heads up. One other thing I would like to know is there any problems getting people to judge? When I was racing APBA they had to ask for judges and waiting held things up. How does the IMPBA do it?

Allan

Allan good question on the use of the audio clocks it really does make sense for a new club or for practice to go with an audio clock in practice a racer can just bring out the old CD player and keep practicing the starts to their hearts content. As for getting volunteers to help out it's pretty much the same way you really need to beg sometimes to get racers to help out with corner judging. Sometimes ytou have members volunteer and that is appreciated very much but it doesn't happen too much.

Guys,

Allan

Most clubs ask the 1st and 2nd place contestant from the previous heat to judge the next heat. However, you usually still have to beg them to come up.

Allan good question on the use of the audio clocks it really does make sense for a new club or for practice to go with an audio clock in practice a racer can just bring out the old CD player and keep practicing the starts to their hearts content. As for getting volunteers to help out it's pretty much the same way you really need to beg sometimes to get racers to help out with corner judging. Sometimes ytou have members volunteer and that is appreciated very much but it doesn't happen too much.
Hi Bill. Some things never change from group to group. I think when we hold our race since we are a small club we will have a couple of our club members be the judges all the time. That way we can put on a smooth race for all the racers

Back