Stance

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the instances when there is more than one right answer.

When we were running the narrow stance boats, we were using a wider running surface on the sponsons. The reason being was to counteract the engine torque trying to push the right sponson down on launch, hard accreleration, and in the corners. As we went to narrower sponson running surfaces, the stance was widened to keep from having a problem with the torque roll. This allowed us to use props with larger diameters also.

At least this was my experience.

Charles
Yep - I followed this for a while - it comes down to what we used in Detroit in the early days - the TLAR method and the SWAG method.

For those of you in Memphis - TLAR= that looks about right an SWAG= solid wild ass guess!

John

And to think that I have been wrong about SWAG all these years. I always thought that it was- Scientific Wild Ass Guess. :)

The TLAR technique is one of my favorite design tools.

Charles

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHA That's perfect Brian!

If you think about too, you kind of have to juggle a whole bag of tricks to go really fast. Each trick is impresive on it's own but together.................

BTW this must be Pick-On-Charles week. I think I will just go home, have some beers and a steak for therapy.

Charles

Not to stir the pot more I can say that the new Jae has many revision to deal with problems of downforce as well as revised sponson profiles. Andy you know I love and will be getting up with you on an eagle but the JAE does have potential to be an excellent boat in my opinion. I think it would be alot better if the design team was more willing to take feedback from all the real worlders. I havent finished my twin yet but it is built to plan. I am however doing a twin 101 for as very seasoned racer. We will be making some amendments or tweaks that we feel would help her. I can say that I do see what one poster said about Davids Jae. On the spec JAE the prop would be everything as far as attitude coz it haz zero adjustments. Which is still hard for me to conceptualize coz water conditions vary even from cold water to hot so :huh: . I am in no way a guru like Andy or Rod but some adjustability couldnt hurt the boat. Please no one tear me a new anus for my comments.

So far i guess we are all on the consensus that on smooth water its a excellent running boat.

Andy I still like the goose so you know im a dinosaur. You ever talk to curtis?

Last edited:
Im not going there coz I have nothing against Rod im just speaking about the boats not people. We already know it needs to be longer David Hall works with me friction free. Id like to have that relationship with the entire team. Some times we cant always have what we want :( . Id rather build than destroy. Thats just me personally.

"I am however doing a twin 101 for as very seasoned racer. We will be making some amendments or tweaks that we feel would help her."

Hugh, Dont forget that twin 101 drawing was just a concept. It has not been built or tested. I would be very happy to hear any feedback on any of the boats.

Guys remember the JAE was designed with no adjustment so the beginner boater could build a cheap outrigger and run an SWO (slap wore out) car motor and see some good speed and have fun. Then after 2 or 3 years of racing the JAE they could step up to one of the more expensive hydros.

Yes there are some lift issues with the initial plans but we never dreamed the 20 boat would be capable of 80mph. The latest 21 and 45 plans have most if not all the lift removed from the front half of the boat. But we will always leave the adjustable sponsons and struts to the more experienced boaters.

Having the front sponsons and strut set and not adjustable is a very good idea. That way every boat will act the same if built to the plans.

For those that do not have years of racing and testing under there belts it makes tuning much easer.

As what has bin said already the prop will do allot to the boat adding sponson changes and strut changes can run just about all of us around in circles when tuning.

On a .21 boat it can be a nightmare.

Build the boat to the plans and start slapping the prop to it. this will keep you busy for a wile.

Don't try and do every thing at once. it will blow up in your face.

David

I know there's a certain beauty in simplicity but............do the JAE have to be so ugly? I just can't leave them ugo.

I find the twin 45 plans a very attractive rigger. All riggers are ugly as far as boats are concerned scales are the most beautiful hands down.

Scales are beautiful but I don't get to use my imagination. My Whips are pretty but they hardly look like a whip at all.

Yes there are some lift issues with the initial plans but we never dreamed the 20 boat would be capable of 80mph. The latest 21 and 45 plans have most if not all the lift removed from the front half of the boat.
David,

So there is a newer version of the 21 plans in the works?

Ian.

hahaha Fair enough.

Finishing behind an ugly boat is darn near painful for some of us. We have a guy in our club that makes a point of leaving his boats uncleaned. Tape goo. Grease. Doesn't matter. It's staying. Like battle scars. Sometimes there's actually chunks of mud on top of his boats. He drives pretty well and his crap is fast too.

hahaha Fair enough.

Finishing behind an ugly boat is darn near painful for some of us. We have a guy in our club that makes a point of leaving his boats uncleaned. Tape goo. Grease. Doesn't matter. It's staying. Like battle scars. Sometimes there's actually chunks of mud on top of his boats. He drives pretty well and his crap is fast too.
LOL....More time for driving practice and tuning! :D

Back