Sport 20 outboard hydro?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skoda450

I have been inspired by the District 12 Sacle meet to build a 1/4 scale 10' outboard hydro, powered by a .21 outboard complete with a 1/4 scale driver. There are lots of plans around for full scale 10' boats so creating 1/4 scale plan lofts would not be a problem. The hull would end up at 30" long with a 18" tall action figure as a driver.

My question is, would it be appropriate to enter it in the Sport 20 Hydro scale contests? There are lots of APBA boats to choose from for graphics and numbers. I know it may be less than competative in the speed department but I would be a hoot to drive!

What do you guys think about this as a Sport 20 boat?

IMPBA does not have a Sport 20 Hydro "scale" class.

I have been inspired by the District 12 Sacle meet to build a 1/4 scale 10' outboard hydro, powered by a .21 outboard complete with a 1/4 scale driver. There are lots of plans around for full scale 10' boats so creating 1/4 scale plan lofts would not be a problem. The hull would end up at 30" long with a 18" tall action figure as a driver.

My question is, would it be appropriate to enter it in the Sport 20 Hydro scale contests? There are lots of APBA boats to choose from for graphics and numbers. I know it may be less than competative in the speed department but I would be a hoot to drive!

What do you guys think about this as a Sport 20 boat?

Jerry Dunlap made a couple of boats just like what you are talking about.. There is a thread somewhere on here about them. I have his first one. Just got my driver figure for it and it is cool looking.. They are fun to drive, slow, but cool to watch.

They will not be competitive with much other than racing themselves. Mine is probalby running 30-35 with a strong wind behind me. :D

Nonetheless, they are cool and when painted, look very realisitc! I run mine in NAMBA A O/B Hydro. If running against the true O/B Hydros, I can compete. Once the tunnels get invovled, I'm just out for a Sunday drive.

JD has made plans based off of his second boat. He's on his way to the IMPBA internats now, but get in touch with him when he gets back and I'm sure he can set you up.

Charley

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, no wonder I was confused when I arrived at the recent District 12 race. We had a competition class that was advertised as a "Sport 21". I arrived with my 21 tunnel and was greeted with "that's not in the class." Since the entries were minimal we raced anyway against a true scale 21 powered hydro (a two boat race).

I guess we were outlaws in defining the class but it was still fun. If there is no such class, there should be. I think a scale 10' outboard hydro would make a great project. Maybe 1/3 scale with a D (7cc) outboard and run it in Sport 40 Hydro? I know that's a defined IMPBA class.

Yes, Well sort of, the drive kneels in the boat. There were 8' and 10' classes. Generally running Mecury outboards KE7 or KG7 motors. I owned one but never had the bucks to go racing. Just toyed with it. They were very popular in the 50's and 60's during the outboard racing hayday.

Best thing I can tell you is read the specific rules for any class you are looking to build a boat for. THe sport 40 class has very specific locations restrictions for the strut.

Oh by the way you can find the rulebook on the IMPBA web page in full page format and the half page format. www.impba.net

Well, your right. The only class I might fit in to with this boat might be the B or D Hydro class and then I would be running with riggers. My only hope there is to finish a lap before they finish the race.

I'll scrap the idea. Too much work not to be able to race it.

My friend Ken Reily used to make them in a wood kit for the K&B 3.5 O/B. His is fantastic looking. The driver is the fuel tank, pretty cool how he shaped the driver. I'll have to get pictures one day when I'm in his town.

Back