Smokin Joe's Paint Scheme

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup that would be it. That pic looks like it was '96 based on the Las Vegas and the Ralph's decals. It was later the U-5 Appian that killed George Stratton in 2000 and when they rebuilt...it became the Emcor I with the bulbous nose. The 8700 became the Emcor II.

BTW for info the Tri Cities footage from 1994 shows white sponson bottoms with black ride pads.
That pic is '96 display/back up boat, also has Jones verticals on it instead of the Lucero style. That '96 version never got wet I've been told.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember it running in '96 either. I think they did qualify the boat in '95. I do not remember which race but I can eventually find out. I remember someone in RCU building the SJII about 6-7 years ago so there must have been a time when it did.

BTW with regards to the sponson color....I reviewed the 5 races I have from 1994 which is Detroit, Evansville, TC, Seattle and SD. The first part of the season they are all yellow with black ride and recovery pads. There was a fire at I think Evansville or Madison and when the boat appears at TC the yellow extends to the bottom inside the airtrap and on the sponson non trips. The bottom was white with a black ride pads. Just throwing that out there for info's sake.

What other boats does the hull make? I know it makes the Close Call and Winston Eagle but I forgit what else. Sucks getting old.

Randy Wild Fire , York Intenational , Miss Emcor and Appian Jeromino..are some more..

I forgot the York Intenational and Appian Jeromino I did know them before all the surgery. The Wild Fire and Miss Emcor are new to me or my memory really sucks.

I was just released from the Oncologist and I am trying to get away from using Acetaminophen and diphenhydramine (TYLENOL® PM) every night to sleep. too many side effects. It also makes me feel a little forgetful/dumb during the day, I make a few more mistakes than average 63 year old. Otherwise I am doing great walk 1 to 3 miles a day before work.

Just so you all know, the '96 Joe's, '97 Close Call then later York and Appian J are not the same hull as the Winston/'94-'95 Joe's that we are talking about here. BIG differences. :)

Just so you all know, the '96 Joe's, '97 Close Call then later York and Appian J are not the same hull as the Winston/'94-'95 Joe's that we are talking about here. BIG differences. :)
Sorry to hijack your thread. but since you brought it up school me. I could research it for days, but I guessing you can explain the differences in a short bit of info.

I can see from the pictures I have the winglets by the rear sponsons are not there. For a sport 20 this boat is pretty scale. I figure if the guys want to be more scale they could add the little bits and pieces.

Respectively

Thanks in advance.

Hi Randy

Biggest difference is the hull sides aft of the sponson heels, they had a vertical section from the sharply angled sides of the Winston and '94/'95 Joe's. Also as previously mentioned no rear winglets and no rear shoes. I'm a big fan of pics so here's 4 for you to check out. B)

Also the Jeronimo had a nose that extended almost all the way to the sponson tips. Plus the canard was all the way forward with a cockpit spar back where the trailing edge of the canard wing used to be.

Hi Randy

Biggest difference is the hull sides aft of the sponson heels, they had a vertical section from the sharply angled sides of the Winston and '94/'95 Joe's. Also as previously mentioned no rear winglets and no rear shoes. I'm a big fan of pics so here's 4 for you to check out. B)
Thanks Don, I have lost a lot of pictures I had when I started this project. This helps a bit for my electric friends that are going to be building this boat.

Thanks Mike if you have any more pictures like the wild fire post them on my thread. It was cool to see you this Sunday, thank your son for helping me.

No problem Randy he was glad to help. Good to see you are doing better. I have a bunch of pics of the Emcor boats and the Jeronimo. I have a few of the 96 Joe's but Don has more than I do. Email me and I'll send you what I have.

No problem Randy he was glad to help. Good to see you are doing better. I have a bunch of pics of the Emcor boats and the Jeronimo. I have a few of the 96 Joe's but Don has more than I do. Email me and I'll send you what I have.
I need to get insurance on the Rolling Ghetto, so I can be more rested and not make so many mistakes. Thanks on the pictures I will email a request.

Does anyone have the color codes for the paint? I prefer to use Dupont Automotive and the clear Don lists in his gallery.

Does anyone have the color codes for the paint? I prefer to use Dupont Automotive and the clear Don lists in his gallery.
There really is only one correct paint for the purple and that is House of Kolors Purple Pearl Metallic #40. The yellow (and white if you do the later versions) should cross over.

Mike I'll get you more S/J pics this weekend. Got back from Charleston and went right to being on call and it's been CRAZY. :wacko:

Thanks Don.

Do you have the Yellow #?

I plan on doing the all yellow with the black ride pads.

When I had a wreck with my smokin joes, I had to get paint to match. Try getting House of Kolors here in Canada in small quantities. Don painted the current hull I have. I took it down to the local dupont supplier after sanding the clear off to get a good reading by the computer. Here are the codes I have for the purple and the yellow in Dupont chromabase.

purple: M3353K Indian Motorcycle sugar purple-effect.

yellow: 743007K

I did alot of touch ups on the yellow as well as rebuilding most of one sponson bottom and top. The purple is dead on match as I did the canards and parts of the cowl. Pics are in my gallery of the re-build. Once the Dupont chromaclear is applied after color sanding its hard to tell where the repairs were. The yellow is really nice to work with. The purple you apply to the best surface you can get and don't sand but apply clear. Once I had all the touch ups done, I re-cleared the entire hull.

gallery_128_798_165543.jpg

Thanks Rob. I can get house of Kolor here but after reading Don's gallery notes on the purple I don't have the time to shoot the base coat and clear in 12 hours. The Dupont I am guessing doesn't require quick turn around like the HOK.

By the way, that boat looks great after the repairs. You did a good job blending the paint.

Thanks Rob. I can get house of Kolor here but after reading Don's gallery notes on the purple I don't have the time to shoot the base coat and clear in 12 hours. The Dupont I am guessing doesn't require quick turn around like the HOK.

By the way, that boat looks great after the repairs. You did a good job blending the paint.
If you read the '96 build up I found out that "guideline" from HOK was not that big a deal. :)

Back