Skeg alignment tool

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed.R

I have all my parts made , I was just wondering what everyone is doing for the gap were the skeg goes.

I measured a lower unit its around .120 thats on my 7.5 and the 3.5 is .090 . I was thinking .120 would work but I hate to drill holes and mount if its not ok. I could make it less so the fit would be tighter than a honey moon fit.

Just wondering

Ed.R

hay Ed R how about some pictures of this contraption of yous would like to get into this winter

a wile back Rod G had pictures on his skag alignment tool

is that what you are trying to do all so

or have i miss the boat as usual :huh:

Marty

hay Ed R how about some pictures of this contraption of yous would like to get into this winter

a wile back Rod G had pictures on his skag alignment tool

is that what you are trying to do all so

or have i miss the boat as usual :huh:

Marty

Thats exactly what I'm making But out of aluminum angle and 1/4 plate and tungsten for the pointer.

I'm talking about,the gap, between the two peaces of 1 by 2 that Rod has were the skeg goes.

Ed.R

Ed

Will you now heat it and bend it ??

Butch
NO !!!!!! I have been told that you can not bend it . from more experianced boaters also I'm not sure what type of alum. it is I would guess it would be 6061 T-6 , tuff stuff if thats what it is . Really can't bend that alum. really well . I wouldn't want to take that chance of breaking the skeg off . You sand/grind the high area off.

Ed.R

Ed

Butch
NO !!!!!! I have been told that you can not bend it . from more experianced boaters also I'm not sure what type of alum. it is I would guess it would be 6061 T-6 , tuff stuff if thats what it is . Really can't bend that alum. really well . I wouldn't want to take that chance of breaking the skeg off . You sand/grind the high area off.

Ed.R
I wish I would have read this a week ago. It snapped right off when I tried to bend it.

Greg

Ed

Butch

Ed.R
You can bend 6061 , BUT you have to use heat and generally it will NOT work out well . When we fab stuff out of it you use large radius bends . NO sharp bends at all.

I wish I would have read this a week ago. It snapped right off when I tried to bend it.

Back