Simple Rigger Plan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennywizz6

For 9th grade shop class we will be working on any woodwork projects or our choice. I decided why not make a rigger, the look simple enough. I was wondering does anybody have an directions or blueprints to make a simple rigger? I dont start for a long while but why not start early!?

Thanks

Phil B) :) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plans out there, but 1st you need to think about size you will want to build? If this will be your 1st rugger, I would probably go with a .12 size.

Yes this will be my first rigger. Id like one with some legs. Perhaps a .21. If it does turn out exceptionally nice I may race it. But I cant imagine people would have free plans for a race worthy design. I guess Ill have to look around or pay a few bucks for one.

Thanks,

Phil B) :) :huh:

Bob, yeah i did look at the plans on the site, or tried to anyways, I tried opening the DXF file in my CAD program but it goes into a bunch of text stuff? I dunno.

I would love to buy my own and build it, but I have to build it from scratch or it will not count. I searched on line for a while but found nothing of much help as of plans tocreat a rigger.

Thanks,

Phil ;) :) :unsure:

Just tell your Shop Teacher that your parents won't let you bring the Laser cutter to school! :D

Maybe buy some plans from www.rcstore.com and build it at school. The Wild Thing mono is a popular and easy one or one of JD's tunnels.

I know its risky but I might just design my own. Is there like specific demensions for regulated race classes? And whats the best wood for the job?

Thanks,

Phil :) ;) :unsure:

First, never underestimate the "simple" looks of an outrigger hydro. If they could be just thrown together, more of us would build them. Yes, you could build one that would run but that's it. Listen to the others that have built their own or manufacture them, they talk of angles in 1/2 degrees that make the difference in handling and speed. The commercially made ones go for sometimes years of testing before they hit the market. Any R/C boat design, be it a mono, tunnel or hydro can be more complex that what it appears at a casual glance, John Finch talked in an article that he did for RCBM about how a bead of CA along the bottom of a hull can change the boats handling characteristics.

I'm not deterring you, just letting you know what you're in for. One member in here told me that he doesn't have instructions with his 'rigger kits because if you don't know how to put one together, you're not ready for it. You'd immediately know his name but I won't say who it is.

Ron,

I suppose your right. Id never get into it enough that a bead of CA would phaze me, or that a half a degree would noticeably alter the performance ratio on a given day. With no exsperiance id think that a ripple in the water would change it more than half a degree change. So many variables that could change it but im still where i want to have fun but wouldnt mind trying to race even though its inevitable that id lose.

On the other hand, has anybody else tried opening the DXF rigger plan on the site? For me it goes into a long list of stuff and doesnt go into a downloading application? Any help with that will be appreciated ;)

Thanks for all your help!

Phil :) ;) B)

Which CAD program are you trying to open the DXF fine with? I use Cadkey at work, & I have never had a problem opening one from this site.

Let me ask this question though.... Why a rigger? Is it because of looks or something else? If you want a simple easy built boat from plans, I would agree with Ron that the John Finch Wild Thing is it. I built one for my wife this past spring, & other than a few interpretations needed between reading the plans, the instructions that come with the plans, & the instructions that are online at RCBM, it is a simple straight forward build. It is also a nice handling boat when done. You also have the advantage of this site to bounce questions off. Several of us have already built them. However, it will be your boat when you are done, so you should have what you really want when you are done.

Wade,

The reason I picked a rigger to me was cost and ease of build. I only have 40 minutes a day for a semester. So time is crucial. What rigger is on your avator? Thats what I was planning on making. I use rhino 3D for my CAD stuff. I dont know whats up. Id rather not make a tunnel, or vee because the curves look very difficult with the time and tools id be given.

Phil :huh: :blink: :unsure:

Your normal school shop class is better equipped that most of our homes. You ought to see how little that I have to work with! The Wild Thing for instance is an easy building boat, needing pins, clamps, tape and possibly some weights of some kind to hold parts in place while the glue is drying. Wade can fill you in on this better than I can. Most boat kits are made from aircraft quality Norwegian birch lite plywood which is flexible for the mild bends that you'd have to make.

The 'rigger that is in Wade's avatar is the Hammerhead .12, not quite available yet. There are only 5 or 6 in existence and I have 2 of them. :) These were Laser cut.

Cool, the wild thing is a rigger right? And the plan for that is free? If it is can ya please link me to the plans?

Thanks,

Phil :) ;) :D

The Wild Thing is a mono.

http://www.rcboatmodeler.com/RB/plans/fspb1000.asp

I have heard of Rhino cad, but I am not familiar with how it works.

I had a feeling you would ask about my avatar. I did the CAD work on it, & Ron will be producing it.

After building the wild thing, I think it would be easier to build in the time you have in class than a rigger. A lot fewer parts to cut out and assemble.

The wild thing looks cool. How difficult is it to assemble? IT looks hard because of the curved hull and everything. Is 20$ the cheapest I can get a plan for it?

Thanks,

Phil ;) <_< :)

The Wild Thing is extremely easy to build. Like I said, very few parts to cut out & put together. When I built my wife's, I laid the plywood under the plans & pushed a pin through the plans into the wood in a series along the contour. Then remove the plans & play "dot to dot" with a pencil. You could easily have the wood laid out in a 40 min glass, & cut out the pieces in the next class. If I were to make a guess, if you had class every day, you could have the hull done in about 1 week, maybe 2. there are only about 14 pieces if you follow the plans. Some people make modifications that might require more, or less.

Here is a pic of my wife’s before I installed all the hardware

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?act=At...pe=post&id=3151

That looks real nice! Ill do that probibly unless something different comes up.

Thanks for all your help!

Phil B) :D :)

Back