Silver braze for making flex drives

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Z

Need some info on the best silver alloy for brazing the stub shaft to the cable. Been using some I got too long ago to admit in one of Dee Hughey's dial-a-prop kits, I but I don't know the alloy and am almost out. Any help out there? I also have some of those silver rods the A/C guys use to solder copper pipe joints. Anyone ever tried them?

Thanks in advance.

Rich Z

Need some info on the best silver alloy for brazing the stub shaft to the cable. Been using some I got too long ago to admit in one of Dee Hughey's dial-a-prop kits, I but I don't know the alloy and am almost out. Any help out there? I also have some of those silver rods the A/C guys use to solder copper pipe joints. Anyone ever tried them?

Thanks in advance.

Rich Z
For soldering stub shaft to cable, I would use silver solder rather than brazing. Sta-Brite silver solder is the best in my opinion. Use a high wattage soldering iron.

I would not use hard silver brazing for joining stub shaft. The high heat required (need a propane torch) will anneal both the stub and the cable. You will find that the cable will break at the joint.

Kez

ED Hughy uses 45% silver braze and flux, available at welding supply houses. I have used it for years, never broke one.

Do not use the brazing rod from A/C supply shops that is labeled "fluxless". Contains metals that do not like ferrous metals and become very, very brittle when used on steel or stainless steel. The joint will break off like glass. Would work well on copper, but ferrous is a NO-NO! Anyway 45% silver solder works great because it is the lowest melting point silver braze, of course, you must still not overheat the joint, that's the tricky point. Rudy

Hey Rich, hope all's good in your world. :)

I've used "Silvaloy 45" for years with their "Ultra Flux", flows easy:

http://www.silvaloy.com/hiag.php

Get mine from a welding supply...
Hey Terry!

Thanks for the info. Things are going well on this end, but the racing is a bit sparse. Next year will be better. By Spring I will have added 4 "gassers" to the corral - a rigger, mono, gas spt hydro and a cracker box. I have had the cracker for two seasons and it is really a hoot. Who would hae thought a guy with nitro in his veins would be snorting that stinky stuff!!!

Rich

Do not use the brazing rod from A/C supply shops that is labeled "fluxless". Contains metals that do not like ferrous metals and become very, very brittle when used on steel or stainless steel. The joint will break off like glass. Would work well on copper, but ferrous is a NO-NO! Anyway 45% silver solder works great because it is the lowest melting point silver braze, of course, you must still not overheat the joint, that's the tricky point. Rudy
Thanks Rudy!

If I decide to quit my day job and start moon-lighting A/C repair (or go into brass sculpture) I will have the right stuff.

Rich

Back