Silicone Tape

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Schindler

A few weeks ago Dave Roach mentioned something to me about Tommy Tape which is silicone that sticks to itself. I had forgot the name of it until today, but a vendor brought me some into work and I think it is fantastic.

What is it? Its "tape" made out of silicone but it is treated so it fuses to itself on contact.

It should have the same properties of silicone tubing, but you can create a perfect coupler for your pipe and header by wrapping it.

I am going to try it as a pipe coupler tomorrow.

The stuff I got today came from BALLUFF which sells it to protect their sensors from welding splatter, but there are numerous other people selling it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALLUFF-BKS-PW-51-30-SI-TR-11-WELD-REPEL-WRAP-SILICONE-/250785552614#ht_2169wt_979

including Tommy Tape

http://www.tommytape.com/

A few weeks ago Dave Roach mentioned something to me about Tommy Tape which is silicone that sticks to itself. I had forgot the name of it until today, but a vendor brought me some into work and I think it is fantastic.

What is it? Its "tape" made out of silicone but it is treated so it fuses to itself on contact.

It should have the same properties of silicone tubing, but you can create a perfect coupler for your pipe and header by wrapping it.

I am going to try it as a pipe coupler tomorrow.

The stuff I got today came from BALLUFF which sells it to protect their sensors from welding splatter, but there are numerous other people selling it.

http://www.ebay.com/...4#ht_2169wt_979

including Tommy Tape

http://www.tommytape.com/
i've used it for different stuff.radio shack sells it,menards too,don't think it will work for a coupler

Steve, do you think it permanently fuses to itself, or think that the exhaust gas pressures would rip the seems apart?

Once you wrap it for those seconds, forget about moving it. its not reusable.

Of course, I could be just a little bias :rolleyes: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Tommy Tape to wrap the pipe, keeps the heat in. I dont think it will wirk for a coupler, it is just too thin.

I am thinking use a lot on the coupler. Like a whole roll. Then it will be thick, but no not re-usable.

I have used it (the Menards stuff) on a leaking copper water pipe.. The result was "OK" after about a month however the pressure from the water (outside faucet) when turned on failed a seam.

I would hope the “brand” name stuff is better.

Grim

Wonder if this stuff would work on a gASS "hot pipe" coupler to cut the oil splatter down? Wrap the flex coupler before attaching the springs?

I wrapped my .46 pipe with 4 ft of tape and will test tomorrow at the Wine Run.

Silicone Tape.jpg

Buck

The gas pipe will get to hot and melt. It is only good for 500 deg.

Dave

I looked at Jim Wilson ( north california) 's sport 20. He put black/red or orange silicone tape 800 degree F all cover header& pipe. I can't beleive that He made smile " faster boat. Try contact him where did he know to get it . He will bring sport 20 at Hobart

Allan,

That is the best way to use it. It will keep your pipe temperature

where it needs to be. It is not really meant to be used for a coupler.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark

Ok here is a status report on using the tape as a coupler.

My pipe telescoped over the header, then I wrapped the joint with the tape.

It lasted the first heat just fine. Then I adjusted the length and it lasted the second heat. I adjusted the length again and it split a little after the third heat, but was running really well. In the fourth heat, it blew and ran poorly.

I think that If I try it again with the right length to start with, it will last many heats.

silicone tape2.jpg

The first time I seen this tape I had a customer come in the shop and had blew a water hose he wraped it and he called tommy tape big long conversation about I think he was a saleman for the product any way the water hose was presurised radiator full of water it seemed to work great.he told me the places you could buy it.So i went to West marine and bought not chaep at that time 5yrs ago.any how my wife and whent for a Sunday drive power stering hose blew on my chevy truck I wraped with that tape got a qrt of tranny fluid from the 7/11 worked so good I did`nt replace the hose till a few weeks later.sorry about the long story,my point is if you drive something with high mileage or junk like I do it`s good to have in the glove box.JB

Jeff,

I would still use the proper coupler and then use it to wrap

your pipe to help keep the temperature up so you can burn the

Nitro. It is not meant to be a coupler material.

Good Luck Testing,

Mark Sholund

Back