shipping scales

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt. gay rum

Alot of people have asked me how do i get my boat or boats to and from some of these races i have attended,, so i will try to help out....

I use Fed-Ex ground- takes 5-7 business day from Miami to Washington,,,Let the Manager know its comming and put there name with yours on the bill of lading along with the air way bill number and check with them the day it arrives..dont take anything for granted... so plan ahead...get TWO pick up forms,,, One at your place (house or business) the other is to pick up at your hotel/motel(when you arrive give the pick up form--return-- to the manager) to ship back to you the day after the race,,, the hotel manager will be more than happy to help on the return home shipping....When you are at the race call fed-ex to reconfirm your pick-up date to return home,,,just so everyone is on the same page.....

The Washington location was a motel --no problem

The Vegas location was a huge Hotel--- no problem

This is very important... MUST NOT WEIGHT MORE THAN 150 POUNDS.....TOTAL WEIGHT (BOX?/BOAT ETC) DONT PUSH IT... will be placed in a diffferent class and the freight will kill you..

Total Inches is 165 Included 1-length..2 X Height..2 X Width... Again this is an outside deminsion,,dont push it either..

Example ;;; 49"-length equals 49 inches

30"-height (left and right side) equals 60 inches

27"-width( top and bottom) eguals 54 inches

TOTAL 163 inches (outside deminision,,remember)

Packing,, this is up to you,,as long as it doesn't go over 150 pounds.... NO FUEL all else ok...

I have packed TWO Turbine Scales with stand, radio box, tool box starter etc and have had ZERO problems..

I stack the scales w/stand on the side of the box, foam all around (looks like alot like they travel --the real ones... lookind down on the box both scales are canopy to canopy) then bungie them stand and boat to the box... Remember nothing can move... These were the formula with saltwater scoop and my circus circus...

My box was built out of plywood (remember the outside will get damage from shipping) but its inside that counts...

Two things... one put angle allumimum on the outside corners for protection

two put stringers on the bottom so the fork lift can pick it up...

(REMEMBER TO ADD THE STRINGERS FOR OVERALL HEIGHT DEMINISION)

Call Fed-ex GROUND for any questions and pick up 1-800-463-3339,, this is who i use and thats what I'am familiar with,,, you can choose any carrier you want..... Hope this Helps...... :D

If you go to the Northwest scale championship Marty and Al will put the box in your room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike just for giggles what did the freight costs run to WA state? I did UPS from here when I went up and I thought it was spendy. When I've had to ship stuff to SoCal FedEx Freight I palleted the crate and it worked well too but the crates were much bigger than a scale.

Mike just for giggles what did the freight costs run to WA state? I did UPS from here when I went up and I thought it was spendy. When I've had to ship stuff to SoCal FedEx Freight I palleted the crate and it worked well too but the crates were much bigger than a scale.
How much equipment did you take? How thick plywood 1/4? osb im waiting to hear from Marty about a couple things but have looked into tickets and Newt said i can ship my boat to him. I better put a snake in the box or he might find my secrets LOL

Mike ... approx 125.00 each way

Mikey... use 1/2 ply (you can use 3/8 if you wish, remember these boxes will take a pounding..) then i have inside wood braces on all corners....

Pack how ever you want ie; on top of each other,,, on sides cowling to cowling,,if you take two boats... if not pack your stuff on the bottom ...starterbox toolbox etc,(remember only take the minimum you think you need) weight is a big factor,, then make a floor and stack you boat on top... Inside you can get very creative,,,,,

I will try to post pictures of my box..if that helps..

That sounds like Roger,, remember he is a hour from the lake and these boxes are big,,, so if you ship to him bettter rent a van....thats why i like to ship directly to the hotel/motel,,, the box is waiting for you and the manager will make arrangements to have your box delivered to your room....Again because of our fearless leaders Marty and Al mine was in my room when i arrived......Hows that for service..... :D

If you have a good relationship with you nitro supplier he can ship you fuel in quart containers,,via fed-ex or ups .. then bring an empty one gallon container in your box and poor the fuel into it once you arrive...

That's about what UPS charged me. My mistake was that I didn't label the box correctly and they stood it on it's end for the ride and I wasn't cool with that. Next time I will do like I did when I had to ship some of my sign making gear back to be repaired...boxed it up and strapped it to a pallet so that it had to stay on it's side. I saved that pallet because it was a custom size for the gear and the box. It was about $150 each way for Fedex Freight and weight wasn't as much of an issue as it was with UPS. UPS was more into the size of the box.

I didn't pack much gear because Roger said I could use his tools and starter. I packed my radio, my apron with a few tools and a couple of props in with my luggage.

Latest posts

Back