She's here! Irene

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dick, how bad is it down there? been trying to call travis since last night, no answer on his or his wife's cell...........give me a call & lmk, please. ronald, how long are you stuck, i'm only about 50 miles west, call me cell# 757-777-0246 or home# 540-542-1759. anyone else from the cheasapaeke/norfolk area that can lmk how bad it is, feel free to lmk. wondering about the kid.

got a call from travis/moparbarn jr. they are safe, no power, so they have been keeping the cell phones turned off unless needed. there is a tidal canal at the end of his street, luckily he is on a slight rise, said the storm surge stopped about 100' from the house. ray, good talking to you, stay safe i want to see ya at the fall nats ;) . talked to james beasley, he decided not to ride it out in his rv, he is safe in a motel. dick loeb is about to od on cookies, but safe also. hope everyone else is safe & sound!!

dick, how bad is it down there? been trying to call travis since last night, no answer on his or his wife's cell...........give me a call & lmk, please. ronald, how long are you stuck, i'm only about 50 miles west, call me cell# 757-777-0246 or home# 540-542-1759. anyone else from the cheasapaeke/norfolk area that can lmk how bad it is, feel free to lmk. wondering about the kid.
Robin sent you PM.

we got thunder showers here all night in ct...we started to see the out skirts of irene early early this am...I awoke this morning at 5:00 am with no power,,havnt had power since,,and the storm hasnt even gotten here yet....so needless to say i was outside at 5am in the pooring rain firing the generator....but all is well now,,,tv working for the kids,,,and water pump for the house is operational,,,what more could i ask right....lol.....cant wait till it actually hits,,,should be interesting...

ac

Well looks like we dodged a bullet, took a walk in my boat chucking boots. Trees down and lots of flooded roads but it's high tide, should drain. Hope the boys north of NJ fair as well. I can't believe we did not lose power!!!!!!!! B)

ray, glad to hear you made it through safe, see ya in chuckytown.

robert, i don't believe richmond got hit too hard. i don't live there, but i am about an equal amount west of irene as richmond, just further north in va. don ferrette could say for sure, as he is on the outskirts of richmond, in mechanicsville. huge areas of no power, downed lines & overloaded cell sites are prolly causing your communication issues. hope your family is safe ;) . was pretty much a nonevent for me, very little rain, winds about 20-30 mph. but i've got mountains between me & the coast, richmond doesn't.......

We got our azz kicked!! The winds were non stop for what seemed like forever, Richmond International airport recorded gusts over 70mph. Even though Irene was "down" to a strong category one when she got here it pounded us for like 12+ hours since it was a 600 mile wide storm that was moving slow. I have no power, no phone (land line or my crappy work Nextel) just got running water back this morning, I'm figuring they brought a generator to the pumping station like they did when Isabel nailed us in '03 (I went 10 days with no power back then). Took a COLD shower after a couple hours clearing debris from my driveway and yard but with no a/c I was sweating by the time I finished getting dressed. I'm at work (SCC in downtown Richmond) to check e-mail and make phone calls, we have power here (good to be 2 blocks from the Governor). The power outages surrounding Richmond are massive and probably will be days before they start getting a handle on it. The further east from the city you are the worse it is and unfortunately that means tough going for a bit for many of us since they are talking repairs may take a week or two throughout the areas surrounding Richmond. This totally SUCKS and may impact my ability to go to Hobart this year. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
We got our azz kicked!! The winds were non stop for what seemed like forever, Richmond International airport recorded gusts over 70mph. Even though Irene was "down" to a strong category one when she got here it pounded us for like 12+ hours since it was a 600 mile wide storm that was moving slow. I have no power, no phone (land line or my crappy work Nextel) just got running water back this morning, I'm figuring they brought a generator to the pumping station like they did when Isabel nailed us in '03 (I went 10 days with no power back then). Took a COLD shower after a couple hours clearing debris from my driveway and yard but with no a/c I was sweating by the time I finished getting dressed. I'm at work (SCC in downtown Richmond) to check e-mail and make phone calls, we have power here (good to be 2 blocks from the Governor). The power outages surrounding Richmond are massive and probably will be days before they start getting a handle on it. The further east from the city you are the worse it is and unfortunately that means tough going for a bit for many of us since they are talking repairs may take a week or two throughout the areas surrounding Richmond. This totally SUCKS and may impact my ability to go to Hobart this year. :(
As my old B.A. used to say "Hang in there laddie". Long as nobody is hurt, rest is just minor. Hope you get the power back soon. B)

Well there may be some light at the end of the tunnel, seems that Virginia Dominion Power didn't want to get burned like they did when Isabel crushed us back in '03 and asked for help from other utility companies before Irene even got here. Trucks have been steadily rolling in from places like Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio to assist with repairs as part of a program developed a few years back to help each other out (we had over 400,000 without power just in the Richmond and surrounding areas when Irene pulled out). Based on the Dominion website I might have power back in a day or two which is good because I never knew how frikkin' LOUD all those generators running at the houses surrounding ours are when you're trying to sleep with the windows open. While I like how quiet my Honda generator is I need to check it more frequently as I'd never hear it if it ran out of fuel over the noise of all the others out there. The guy diagonally behind us (and of course the bedroom side of house) is running one so loud I'm wondering if it's even got a muffler on it. Even though his house is easily 100+ yards off his generator sounds like it's sitting in my driveway. Man I'd **** near kill for a solid 8 hours of sleep right now, even really strong coffee ain't doin' squat........ :wacko:

Well there may be some light at the end of the tunnel, seems that Virginia Dominion Power didn't want to get burned like they did when Isabel crushed us back in '03 and asked for help from other utility companies before Irene even got here. Trucks have been steadily rolling in from places like Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio to assist with repairs as part of a program developed a few years back to help each other out (we had over 400,000 without power just in the Richmond and surrounding areas when Irene pulled out). Based on the Dominion website I might have power back in a day or two which is good because I never knew how frikkin' LOUD all those generators running at the houses surrounding ours are when you're trying to sleep with the windows open. While I like how quiet my Honda generator is I need to check it more frequently as I'd never hear it if it ran out of fuel over the noise of all the others out there. The guy diagonally behind us (and of course the bedroom side of house) is running one so loud I'm wondering if it's even got a muffler on it. Even though his house is easily 100+ yards off his generator sounds like it's sitting in my driveway. Man I'd **** near kill for a solid 8 hours of sleep right now, even really strong coffee ain't doin' squat........ :wacko:
The guy with the loud generator, is he related to Joe Warren. :lol: :D

Kind of reminds me of my RV at a boat race waking up to a generator right under my bedroom slide out. Seems this guys generator was too noisy to put near his trailer 100' away so next to me was ok. His power cord got unplugged somehow.

Been through a week without power after a hurricane here in 04 so I sympathize with you all up the coast. If your house is standing you will be fine. No power is an inconvenience no house is off the charts. Good thing is hopefully everyone comes together and pitches in during the worst of times. My Allstate office at that time became home for a catastrophy team and it was humbling to see how people who ;lost everything took things in stride and others who lost a tree or shrub were indignant.

Mic

Latest posts

Back