Set up info for 1/8 Henry Velasco hull needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MXNERD

Hi all,

I have just got myself a new one of Henry's 1/8 hulls and am looking for some help with setup info, I have contacted Henry and he has informed me that he has since sold the moulds and setup info off and suggested I ask on here.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Steven Fox.

Steven I have one and I did my setup a little different than Henry and Don and a few other from SoCal did. I actually made my radio box fit under the deck up front and made saddle tanks for it. The previous setups they did had the fuel up front and the radio box behind the motor. You will also need to run the strut deep to get the ride attitude level. This hull wants to fly a little but it's fast.

Steven, I've seen Mike's boat run at Lake Minden and it did well. I have one of Henry's heavy lay up hulls(108 Notre Dame style) and did everything different than Mike. I think he added stringers @ 5" I did not- went with Mike Hughes bottom mounts @ 7 degree angle- front tanks, rear box. Due to the narrow opening in the hull it's a PITA to tape/un-tape radio box lid. I'd like to re-do it. Do a search on Velasco hulls- a couple years ago some folks put up pictures of their Velasco builds.

Thanks guys for your replies ,Mike can you send me some photos of your boat please.

Hi all,

I have just got myself a new one of Henry's 1/8 hulls and am looking for some help with setup info, I have contacted Henry and he has informed me that he has since sold the moulds and setup info off and suggested I ask on here.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Steven Fox.
Who has the moulds now and are they building them?

Brian Bauss has the molds -- VERY good lay ups I think his e-mail is raptor747 -- he is a member here

Also contact Don Maher -- his boat flat hauled the mail

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Steven,

Here are a few pics Don Maher posted some time back showing how he set up his Notre Dame. CHEERS !!! Bob

Rob & Kelly, Hope you're both bringing them to the Nats. I'd like to see how the hard core racers set up their scales.

I'm curious, is the Steve Muck Circus hull out of the same molds as the Velasco hull Don Maher is holding in the pictures? From what I'm seeing, the boats are basically clones

No it's not. The Steve muck hull is a bit wider than the Velasco hull. The interior stringers in mine were added by someone else as I bought it used. I had a new hull and then sold it. Afterword I was mad I sold it and bought another that came up for sale from the NW. The motor mount is a modification from one I had from another boat several years back. I had Vic Gorecki change some dimensions on it and the angle. I have one in a couple of scales. Originally I had a Hughes skid fin on it but it never liked that one. Currently it has an Accutech fin on it and it does well with that one.

I'm curious, is the Steve Muck Circus hull out of the same molds as the Velasco hull Don Maher is holding in the pictures? From what I'm seeing, the boats are basically clones
No Mark they are completely different -- kind of like all the new cares today look alike but the are not -- lol

Yes Bob your right -- Leonard did make the plug then I made three major changes to the plug which made the hull even better

Brian Bauss has both molds

And a little birdie told me that there is some epoxy drying in them right now.

To get back on topic, we set them up with a front mounted radio box and saddle tanks on the CG as Mike said he did his. I like the CG to stay the same as the fuel level goes down.

Last edited:
Hey Steven,

Figured you'd like some more pics of options. First pic is Bill Brandt's means for strengthening the deck of the hull. and the second group of pics was a build a Friend did for another Friend a few years ago. Henry used to sell sponson "Tiplets" so the hull could be used for other hulls with different MHR lengths - like the 7664 1977 - 1978 U-64 Squire as Henry ran. I would assume Brian Bauss has them also. CHEERS !!! Bob

I may have to "borrow" Bill Brandt's deck bracing and integrate it into my Muck. Right now, the deck is very easily deformed unless the rear cowl is installed and, even then, it still doesn't take much to make the deck flex

Hey Steven,

Here are a few pics Don Maher posted some time back showing how he set up his Notre Dame. CHEERS !!! Bob
Thank you all gentleman for the input, can anyone suggest a c/g point less fuel and a prop weight.

Back