Safety/pit area Rules ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick J

Hi all, I'm trying to get a hold of as many different sets of pit area rules and general boating saftey issues as I can at the moment. My club whilst in its infancy hasn't really got too much "clear" direction with regard to pit rules etc, and I'm keen to change that before any potential safety problem arises.

I remember my aircraft/heli days, but I'm trying to ascertain how it's all done for us boaters. At present I feel that it's "all over the place" with no definative rules, and I'm sure you'd agree that needs to be changed.

I would appreciate any info you have any kind related to safety/pit area charters/rules etc that you would be willing to share with me as I'm keen to get this issue sorted out sooner rather than later

Any assistance that could be provided would be more than welcome

Thanks in advance

Johno

Johno,

Heres a couple of the common things that come to mind.

Closed covered shoes only in the pit area. Driver and 1 pitman only per boat in the pit area.

I'll post more if I think of them....

Also

Prop guards - to catch any loose/broken props or shafts

No running - drivers walk up the stand and definitely not while you have a boat in your hands

Boats on the water come in with caution - as someone may be in the water launching and to avoid boats coming up on the bank

No smoking - due to the amount of Nitro coming out of the back of Tim D's firefighter

Only have starter boxes and boats for people in that heat - as cluttered start tables and launch area creates a problem

Still thinking, just like Tim

Grub

Thanks for the input thus far guys, that's the kind of stuff I am chasing. Keep it up please.

Johno

Hi Johno,

We are in NAMBA District 3, only current NAMBA members are allowed in the hot pits. Gas boaters are required to have a fire extinguisher at their pit, If you have enough room, divide the pit area into two sides, for example, each side of the driver's stand. Designate one side for even heats and one side for odd heats and require drivers to set up in the proper area for their heat. This also makes it easier for the pit boss to check everyone in for the heat. Impound radios and require drivers needing to check their boats to do so only in the pit area. NO radios allowed outside of the pit area to avoid frequency conflict and a possible runaway boat. No one allowed to retrieve a dead boat by wading out into the water. Hope this helps!! Don :D

If your water allows it - no returning boats are to come in directly at (perpendicular to) the shoreline. Get them to come in on an angle or parrallel to the shoreline.

check the impba website,go to the rule book ,find the section on heat racing,there is a sub section on the pits and the rules that are to be followed .Hope this helps

I am glad this posting was put on here because I have had a few questions since I started boating.

My biggest question I would like to make shure im doing right is, when I bring my boat in after a run, "Do I come along shore or stay out and then turn in?"

Thanks and hope this helps other beginers also.

How about a fishing reel and ball for closely stalled out boats.

Speakers to hear the announcer

Frequency clip board either in or right at the entrance of the pit

Here are the safety rules for everyone to review then you won't have to think so hard. These should become second nature to all RC boaters.

SAFETY REGULATIONS

GENERAL

1. Whenever running a boat, whether during a race or practicing, there must be a spotter to watch for any unsafe conditions which should arise around the pond.

2. A positive engine throttle control will be required of all boats.

3. Anyone in the pit area MUST wear shoes. (Sandals or open-toed shoes of any kind are NOT acceptable.)

4. All inboard hydros should have throwing handles.

5. No plastic props to be used above a 3.5 engine.

6. Boat stands should have prop guards.

7. Transmitter on/off switch shall be positioned in such a manner as to prevent its accidental shut off if bumped either during launching, handling, or racing. Same shall apply to switch on boat.

8. There will be no model boats running on the pond while the pickup boat is working. The pickup boat may not go out as long as any model boats are running.

9. Coast Guard approved life vests and/or floatation devices should be worn, or at least available, in the pickup boat. (Some state laws specify children MUST wear them.)

10. Spectator area should be back 20 feet from the shoreline, and signs posted: “No Spectators Beyond This Point.”

11. “NO SWIMMING” signs should be posted in conspicuous places on all sides of the pond.

12. Any tent, dining fly, canopy, or similar device must have adequate in-ground anchors.

13. All accidents must be reported to the club’s Safety Officer. In the event of an accident, the Safety Officer will write his opinion on the accident, and forward it to the IMPBA Safety Director as soon as possible.

14. IMPBA Accident and Injury forms will be kept at the race site at all times. If there should be an accident, it will be recorded on these forms and sent to the National Safety Director as soon as possible. The forms will be a prerequisite to payment of claims.

15. NEVER bring boat back to pit area straight in--always run parallel to shore while slowing it down.

EVENTS

1. Each club should have a Safety Officer who will inspect the pond prior to Open Water, or the start of the race, to ensure that all IMPBA rules are in effect and adequate protection in place. This inspection should include a written check list as outlined in the Club Procedures. Contest Directors must check with the Safety Officer to be sure that the inspection is complete before starting the event. The club Safety Officer may provide a technical inspection prior to an event, and deny running privileges to any boat not considered safe.

2. No person may operate or assist in the operation of a model power boat, or enter the pit area, or operate a retrieve boat at any IMPBA sanctioned event on an IMPBA insured pond, and be covered by insurance, unless he is a paid IMPBA member. Race officials, contestants, and their assistants should be the only ones allowed in the pit area.

3. The pit area shall be roped or fenced and kept clear of spectators.

4. Pit Boss will spot check each boat for antennas before the contestant goes on the clock. No boat will be allowed to run without one. Boat antennas should have a protective cap to prevent eye injuries.

5. SAFETY NETTING must be placed on all sides of the pond exposed to spectators and contestants. Safety nets should be inspected prior to the race for tears and dry rot. Safety nets must be a minimum of 12 inches under and 24 inches above the surface of the water. Net supports should be no more than 10 feet apart. Any area that is not covered by safety nets must be kept free of all people and animals during the event with signs and/or ropes or barriers of some kind.

6. All steps and driver stands should have a non-skid surface. Driver stands should have hand rails on all sides. Steps should be OSSHA-approved rise tread.

7. Temporary structures, such as drivers’ stands or bleachers, are not covered by IMPBA insurance.

8. Alcoholic beverages will be prohibited in the Pit area and on the CD/Drivers’ stand.

9. An OSHA-approved first aid kit should be standard equipment at all races. A fire extinguisher must be in the pit area if offering classes for Large Scale Gasoline.

10. Any club offering a concession stand should ask for insurance certificates from the concessionaire.

11. NO transmitter may be taken from the impound area unless a frequency clip is attached.

Back