rudder bushing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Wood

Over the course of the past 2 yrs i have made my rudder pin bushings out of delrin for the hydro kits i sell..

They take time( alot ) does anyone have any idea if they can be bout.. doesn't have to be delrin.. could be lead teflon

pin dia is 1/8. length.. well if i can find something close we can go from there.

any help would be great.

thanks

chris

Speedmaster's mini rudder has a 1/8" pin and leaded teflon bushings but they don't last long and get sloppy quick. I replace all mine with Delrin and even might try a better material this season as even Delrin slops out over time. :(

Maybe PEEK or Torlon? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you use some small ballbearings? All my rudder axles are set in ballbearings and last for years, no play, never getting sloppy. But i always make my hardware myself :)

The only what you have to do is putting some oil on after each running day.

Curt

Speedmaster's mini rudder has a 1/8" pin and leaded teflon bushings but they don't last long and get sloppy quick. I replace all mine with Delrin and even might try a better material this season as even Delrin slops out over time. :(

Terry & Chris the graphite filled UHMW Nylon I've been using would be great for bushings. I've built the whole bracket out of this stuff and it does not need a bushing. I'm also making a 21 strut out of it now that will not need a brass tube running through it.

Terry & Chris the graphite filled UHMW Nylon I've been using would be great for bushings. I've built the whole bracket out of this stuff and it does not need a bushing. I'm also making a 21 strut out of it now that will not need a brass tube running through it.

Cool. joe, do you have any idea how it will hold up to heat.. and will it be strong enought for a strut??

thanks

chris

I've not heard of UHMW Nylon, do you have a link? I do know of UHMW PE that is graphite filled; is this what you mean? :huh:
Torlon would be cool, too.

UHMW PE is the correct name. Chris I know it will hold up on a 20 boat. The stuff is pretty tough. It's used to make conveyer rollers as well as linear motion slides. Once I finish the the strut for my daughter's sport 20 I'm going to make one for my 60 mono. I buy it from 8020 Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back