RTRS RULE!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
I just wanted to say that after 25+ years of playing with model boats and running in everything from 20 stock ob to 1/8th scale hydroplane, That running an rtr (Miss Vegas for me) is one of the most refreshing things ive done in model boating in a looonnng time! Even though i LOVE fast boats,(though most of mine are not!),its nice to know that if i scattered my Vegas all over the water, I can pick up the phone and in 1 day and with 300.00....Ive got a NEW race boat!! We now have a class with an engine that costs under 100.00!!! AINT THAT COOL!!! And i just spent 500.00 for a new '08 CMB .21 VALVOLA!! I had to be outta my mind!! Im seriously thinkin about selling the **** thing cause at the moment i dont even have a boat to put it in!! I hope that RTR racing continues to grow in NAMBA dist. 3 because it really is the only class left that a begineer can get his or her feet wet, and not HAVE to spend a thousand dollars or MORE!!!! I think this will be a GREAT forum!! Bill, the slow boater

I just wanted to say that after 25+ years of playing with model boats and running in everything from 20 stock ob to 1/8th scale hydroplane, That running an rtr (Miss Vegas for me) is one of the most refreshing things ive done in model boating in a looonnng time! Even though i LOVE fast boats,(though most of mine are not!),its nice to know that if i scattered my Vegas all over the water, I can pick up the phone and in 1 day and with 300.00....Ive got a NEW race boat!! We now have a class with an engine that costs under 100.00!!! AINT THAT COOL!!! And i just spent 500.00 for a new '08 CMB .21 VALVOLA!! I had to be outta my mind!! Im seriously thinkin about selling the **** thing cause at the moment i dont even have a boat to put it in!! I hope that RTR racing continues to grow in NAMBA dist. 3 because it really is the only class left that a begineer can get his or her feet wet, and not HAVE to spend a thousand dollars or MORE!!!! I think this will be a GREAT forum!! Bill, the slow boater
bill i dont know where you paid 500.00 for a new valvola.. but i can get them for 400.00 and if you really want to sell it let me know as i am getting ready to order another for my new sport 20 and a .67 for my big rigger.. and you are exactly right man, the rtr deal is a refreshing great thing for this hobby. many old timers are really secretive on their stuff and many parts have to be made by hand or are extremly hard to find or get. it is nice to be able to get a part ordered and have it in a few days to play agian. myself i have a bone stock vegas and a modded one and i love them both. i really like all the smaller nitro stuff anyway like my .12 rigger. these are alot cheaper on the wallet and easier to keep kids running as well which is the most important thing in this hobby right now. just my 2 cents ..lol

terry

I second that I have a AM Mean Machine. Let me tell ya What a blast. Grant it I did have some carb problems but once solved & engine broke in. What a great easy going day you can have on the water.

RTR IS NEEDED & SHOULD BE EMBRACED BY ALL IN THE SPORT

:D

bill i dont know where you paid 500.00 for a new valvola.. but i can get them for 400.00 and if you really want to sell it let me know as i am getting ready to order another for my new sport 20 and a .67 for my big rigger.. and you are exactly right man, the rtr deal is a refreshing great thing for this hobby. many old timers are really secretive on their stuff and many parts have to be made by hand or are extremly hard to find or get. it is nice to be able to get a part ordered and have it in a few days to play agian. myself i have a bone stock vegas and a modded one and i love them both. i really like all the smaller nitro stuff anyway like my .12 rigger. these are alot cheaper on the wallet and easier to keep kids running as well which is the most important thing in this hobby right now. just my 2 cents ..lol

terry
Terry , if I decide to sell it,YOU GOT FIRST DIBS!!! Im kinda hopin to start on a new 20 hydro project but that remains to be seen...time and money as usual! regarding the kids, THATS NUMERO UNO!! If my 2 youngest Granddaughters show the slightest interest in this crazy hobby, you can bet what ill start them out with!!!I can see it now ,every room in the house has a Miss Vegas sittin in it....a pink one..... a blue one.....oh well, so much for bein MACHO!! See Ya, Bill

terry
Terry , if I decide to sell it,YOU GOT FIRST DIBS!!! Im kinda hopin to start on a new 20 hydro project but that remains to be seen...time and money as usual! regarding the kids, THATS NUMERO UNO!! If my 2 youngest Granddaughters show the slightest interest in this crazy hobby, you can bet what ill start them out with!!!I can see it now ,every room in the house has a Miss Vegas sittin in it....a pink one..... a blue one.....oh well, so much for bein MACHO!! See Ya, Bill
sounds great bill.. i need your paypal addy...lol. you are right i have a red one and a purple one , i was waiting on a custom pink one from a certian person that never seemed to make it her..lol anyway we dont have to be too macho bill , we still play with toys at 35 and i dont know your age.. but we are most certianly big kids..later man ill be waiting on the call from ya.

terry

Hi Bill - RTR is a terrific beginner class for Namba's District 3 racers. It's first year was 2007 and it was so popular it became a District High Points Class for 2008. It's here to stay!

Ron Ratoff

Namba District 3 Director

[email protected]

Well, you could always drop that Valvola in the Vegas!

When you look at what's out there from Aquacraft, Pro Boat and other manufacturers there's a lot of fun to be had at a low cost. I'm not a fan of Pro Boat boats by a long shot but was surprised at how fast a $350.00 boat can go.

there are stil us hard-core boaters that still love to build our boats from scratch or from getting ours built the way that we want them but it's nice to have a boat that we can buy, throw in the water and go mess around with.

Thunder Tiger is soon coming out with a RTR .45 mono that looks kind of nice.

The only downside that I've seen so far are boats with oddball sized engines that don't really fit into a category for racers as districts and clubs have had to create them. We need more RTR boats that can be competitive in existing classes. People will spend the bucks for one if the manufacturers can deliver.

Well, you could always drop that Valvola in the Vegas!When you look at what's out there from Aquacraft, Pro Boat and other manufacturers there's a lot of fun to be had at a low cost. I'm not a fan of Pro Boat boats by a long shot but was surprised at how fast a $350.00 boat can go.

there are stil us hard-core boaters that still love to build our boats from scratch or from getting ours built the way that we want them but it's nice to have a boat that we can buy, throw in the water and go mess around with.

The only downside that I've seen so far are boats with oddball sized engines that don't really fit into a category for racers as districts and clubs have had to create them. We need more RTR boats that can be competitive in existing classes. People will spend the bucks for one if the manufacturers can deliver.

Ron, you described me to a "T"! I LOVE to build boats.....85% of my armada are wood and built by me ! I tend to either butcher perfectly good wood kits or scratch build my own stuff...but it sure is nice to have a boat arrive at my house on tuesday, and get it wet on saturday or sunday.....does that mean that we are gettin LAZY?? I do agree that it would be neat if someone came out with a reasonably priced RTR that could run in an exisisting class....20 mono, how about a sport 21 Miss Vegas thats totally legal? or a .40 class boat? Its ALL good!!! Bill

Well, you could always drop that Valvola in the Vegas!When you look at what's out there from Aquacraft, Pro Boat and other manufacturers there's a lot of fun to be had at a low cost. I'm not a fan of Pro Boat boats by a long shot but was surprised at how fast a $350.00 boat can go.

Ron, you described me to a "T"! I LOVE to build boats.....85% of my armada are wood and built by me ! I tend to either butcher perfectly good wood kits or scratch build my own stuff...but it sure is nice to have a boat arrive at my house on tuesday, and get it wet on saturday or sunday.....does that mean that we are gettin LAZY?? I do agree that it would be neat if someone came out with a reasonably priced RTR that could run in an exisisting class....20 mono, how about a sport 21 Miss Vegas thats totally legal? or a .40 class boat? Its ALL good!!! Bill
hell if you dont want to use that valvola in a rtr i will take it off your hands and show you what it lookslike in mine..lol

stil tryin.later bill

terry

Question if i get seaducers 18 boat and have to put engine in it will it still be considered a rtr in namba? Robert

Just talked to Jerry they plan on making the boat a whole rtr boat now the only question is does it have to be sold in a hobby shop or do they sell enough boats for it to be legal in namba? Robert

Just talked to Jerry they plan on making the boat a whole rtr boat now the only question is does it have to be sold in a hobby shop or do they sell enough boats for it to be legal in namba? Robert
I think a .18 RTR seaducer is a great idea, but wish companies would make them to fit into already existing classes. Like a cheap RTR B-mono...that is good enough to fool around with out of the box, but can be upgraded at a later date and run competitively. I know a .18 can run in B-mono...but it would be nice if the boat was long enough to run stable with a .21 in it so it could be upgraded later to be more competitive. Maybe even come with a .21 out of the box.

I have seen a couple folks mention that it would be nice to have an RTR sport .21 hydro. I mean...if aquacraft can put out the Miss Vegas .18 RTR at less than $300 per ($250 right now)...how cheap could they put out a little bigger boat with a .21 engine in it RTR?? $400??

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is nobody has really said what constitutes a RTR boat. We went through this once before weith someone who wanted to come out with his own. There is no minimum amount of boats established so we can't say that any manufacturer has to make X amount to qualify. Some have argued that they bought a boat off eBay and in the ad it said that it was ready to run that it should be able to race in a RTR class. It might sound absurd but it could be a potential problem.

Sure, we know that Pro Boat, Aquacraft, Traxxas and those Chinese boats being sold would qualify but there still isn't a minimum number set in stone.

Jerry isn't the first one to consider this as Microburst also talked about having a RTR .12 mono, they even had a running protoype.

Personally, I'd rather see some more .12 powered boats on the market to use the IMPBA "A" classes.

The problem is nobody has really said what constitutes a RTR boat. We went through this once before weith someone who wanted to come out with his own. There is no minimum amount of boats established so we can't say that any manufacturer has to make X amount to qualify. Some have argued that they bought a boat off eBay and in the ad it said that it was ready to run that it should be able to race in a RTR class. It might sound absurd but it could be a potential problem.

Sure, we know that Pro Boat, Aquacraft, Traxxas and those Chinese boats being sold would qualify but there still isn't a minimum number set in stone.

Jerry isn't the first one to consider this as Microburst also talked about having a RTR .12 mono, they even had a running protoype.

Personally, I'd rather see some more .12 powered boats on the market to use the IMPBA "A" classes.
One set of rules I've seen said the following:

"The hull must be a manufactured RTR (Ready to Run) sport hydro hull available through normal hobby sales sources." These rules went on to say:

"The following hulls would qualify as of 1/1/08 – The Miss Bud, Miss Llumar, and Miss Elam from ProBoats. The Miss Vegas from AquaCraft"

Obviously these rules addressed a single style of boat, .15-.18 sport hydros.

And the rules Kelly Miller and I wrote, and which I'm told have been approved for a 1 year trial, say:

"In order to qualify as a production RTR boat it needs to be, or have been, available to the public through nationally recognized retail channels and at least 300 boats need to have been produced."

The minimum boat count was put in to ensure that the RTR boats are truly manufactured instead of being custom built, but sold "RTR".

Ron and Sean, I too wish manufacturers would pay more attention to established classes.

OK Chuck, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here with this reply so bear with me.

I don't think that it would happen if Jerry came out with an .18 RTR boat but what if a small player (compared to the biggies that I mentioned above) wanted to get into RTR boats. 500 is a lot to them with a ton of money tied up. How many boats had Aquacraft or Pro Boat sold? Are you just guessing that they did sell 500 of them? We have no proof that they did as they don't release sales figures that I know of so it could be challenged.

Next, what is a nationally recognized channel? Is eBay? Is Seaducer, Aeromarine or Warehouse Hobbies? My LHS that ships worldwide?

These are the tough questions and some that ask if the smaller guy like Seaducer may put him by the wayside until he can afford to produce 500 boats. I think that Jerry would love to be able to sell that many and more if possible. Jerry, I would love to see you do it personally as we know that we could get a no BS boat from you.

Chuck.. we do pay VERY close attention to what IMPBA and NAMBA have for classes...

Now that we have a boat racer desinging boats for a mass market I suspect things in the future will change.

Stay tuned

Also Bruiser, A no BS RTR?.. At what cost? At what scedule? At what hassle to the end user?... So much do do not know.. not a bad thing mind you just there is more to it then that.. When and if Jerry jumps on board he too will learn this. Just ask Remy. All in all its a good thing but I suspect Remy has his share of "RTR history" now..

Keep the faith

Grim

In Namba District 3 I can tell you when I worked to start the RTR class, it was after years of a few of us trying to devise an inexpensive very equal running class of boats for people to fall in love with the sport of nitro racing with. Also I wanted it to become a drivers class for all us older guys and gals that want to have fun with inexpensive racing toys/low dollar equipment. We started playing with some of the rtr nitro's and felt we found it!!

Now this is just my personal opinion, but from where I watch RTR's developing, (Florida's Namba District 3), high dollar RTR's will not help the class, only destroy it. If a small manufacturer could come out with a boat package with radio, etc. like all the others and be able to retail it for under $300.00 then let them join in. The dollar value is the biggest issue, and then there's performance. We need to keep the class fairly equal. So far that's the way it is and it's alot of fun out there.

All the best to everyone!

Ron Ratoff

Namba District 3 Director

[email protected]

P.S. - The Spacecoast Melbourne race is coming the end of May...anyone racing their RTR's there????? B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back