replacing pto bearings KB 3.5

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ted Moes

whats a easy way to replace pto bearings KB 3.5 without a press

Last edited by a moderator:
Heat. Make sure the PTO shaft is clean, heat the case via an oven. 350 for 15 min works for me. Put one bearing on the shaft. Then slide the bearing into the heated case, turn it over and slide the other bearing in. Made need a bit of assistance due to the clearance between the bearing ID and shaft OD.

Just a little note. When I am replacing the bearings in a pto, I put in sealed, permanently lubed ceramic bearings. They do make a noticeable difference. My opinion.

First make sure the new bearings slide onto the pto shaft easily. Sometimes the shafts get some slight burrs or burnt oil on them making it hard to slide the new ones on. If they're too tight, I wet sand the shaft a little with some oil and 600 or 1000 grit paper just to clean it up for a tight slip fit on the bearings.

Make sure to remove both seals on the inside bearing and one of the seals for the one that will be on the outside of the engine.

Slip the inside bearing onto your pto shaft and have the other bearing out as well so they're ready to be installed quickly. Some like to freeze these parts but I don't usually bother.

I mount a piece of aluminum onto one of the bolt holes on the pto to use as a handle because there's not much to hold onto while your heating the pto plate.

Some like to use an oven, I like to use a small propane torch to evenly heat the pto plate. Give the plate a couple taps with the handle of a screw driver every so often while heating and the bearings will fall right out. I then take a clean paper towel and a q-tip and wipe out any junk that might have been under the old bearings (quickly as the plate is starting to cool and contract).

Then quickly take the pto shaft with bearing and drop it into the pto plate ( literally drop it in) if it doesn't go in all the way give it a couple taps with the handle of a screw driver and make sure it's in all the way. Turn th plate 90 degrees (so the bearing you just put in doesn't fall out) and slide the new bearing in on the other end. Make sure the seal is on the outside. Tap the outer edge of the outside bearing with a socket to make sure it's in all the way.

The plate will cool off quick and sometimes the bearings won't want to go in all the way, just add a little more heat until they go in without much force. Be mindful not to over heat while the bearings are in the plate. You don't want to melt the plastic bearing cage inside the bearing. But in most cases as long as your fairly quick this isn't an issue.

Let it cool and your good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back