Raptor Marine P-Spec Hydro - Finally Done

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

Here are some pics of my now completed Raptor Marine P-Spec Hydro.

Power will be a ProBoat BJ26 Motor and ESC on 4S1P. I have two battery pack options at this point. One is a single 4500mah Elite 30C pack, and the other consists of two 4S1P 2200mah Elite 35C packs wired in parallel for a total of 4400mah. I'm leaning toward the later because it allows for better weight distribution.

I've modified the sponsons slightly from how they originally came, by taking some of the material off the sides of them, as well as modifying the ride-pad surface.

Should be testing it this weekend.

IMG_5874.JPG

IMG_5872.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5870.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

0622092206.jpg

Also, who or where do I go to get plans, or this kit?
Brian Buass makes these. This one is a fiberglass tub, with built-up wooden sponsons, and includes a removable ride-pad. I believe he's since made some sponson molds and is making the sponsons out of glass as well.

I'll see if I can get his contact info and get it to you.

Darin ,WAY cool. How about some more info. I am clueless when it comes to this electric stuff. What is a p-spec? Length? Are you limited to cells/motor? How fast will this baby run & for how long? Too many questions? Sorry, I've got more.......

Thanks, joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Darin ,WAY cool. How about some more info. I am clueless when it comes to this electric stuff. What is a p-spec? Length? Are you limited to cells/motor? How fast will this baby run & for how long? Too many questions? Sorry, I've got more....... Thanks, joe
Joe... I'll give it a shot here...

P-Spec is a power class that is not officially recognized by NAMBA or IMPBA at this time, but does fall legally under the current "P" class limits for NAMBA, and "E2" for IMPBA. It consists of a list of allowed motors originating from a couple of popular RTR FE offerings from AquaCraft and ProBoat, namely the AquaCraft SV27 and UL1 power systems, and the ProBoat BJ26/Miss Elam FE power system.

Battery power is limited to 4S. Some clubs limit ESCs to the stock ESC, others allow aftermarket ESCs.

This hull is right around 28" overall I believe... Hull lenth limit would be 34" I suppose, if we use the NAMBA P or IMPBA E2 classes as guidelines.

From what I've seen and heard about, these boats are approaching 60mph in heat racing trim. Brian has had his in the mid-60s. They can run a full-mill, then a 1-mile race, without any problem with a 4000-5000mah pack.

Awesome, thank you . Hasn't Brian gone over 110 mph with this hull?? Smokin'............

...Hull lenth limit would be 34" I suppose, if we use the NAMBA P or IMPBA E2 classes as guidelines....
Ac tually there is no such thing as E2, etc. IMPBA recently voted for FE classes using more traditional nomenclature: N,P,Q,S and T.

Hasn't Brian gone over 110 mph with this hull?? Smokin'............
No, the rigger he used was considerably different. At the LA SAWs he had both his P record holder and this P Spec hull (not assembled yet) on his table and the differences were obvious. The P Spec boat is not designed for anywhere near 110 mph and no matter how much power you put into that hull it would never reach 110 mph without some design changes. Still, I want one..... ;)

...Hull lenth limit would be 34" I suppose, if we use the NAMBA P or IMPBA E2 classes as guidelines....
Ac tually there is no such thing as E2, etc. IMPBA recently voted for FE classes using more traditional nomenclature: N,P,Q,S and T.

Oops... that's what a NAMBA guy gets for trying to figure out the IMPBA! ;) Thanks for the correction Jay....

Don't feel bad Darin, for awhile it was going to be E1, E2, etc. I never heard about the change back until it appeared on the ballot. Personally, while the new nomenclature did make sense, it would only confuse folks trying to compare the two organizations' class rules. If we have to have two FE racing organizations, at least they should have the same voltage classes! ;)

It was running great but got wrapped up in some carnage at the NAMBA nats. I'm building him new sponsons right now.

It was running great but got wrapped up in some carnage at the NAMBA nats. I'm building him new sponsons right now.
Thanks Brian... Yah... I had a little issue with torque steer... I approached the start line and was a good 3-4 seconds too early in about lane 4... so I decided I needed to burn a lap and take a legal start then play catch up... when I hit the throttle, the boat jumped 90-degrees toward the infield and tore another boat in half, taking us both out of the race... My bad and my fault...

The other boat was my buddies, Byron Pimms, and he already has it ready to go again... He's a master building with wood... I gave him a new motor and ESC to try to compensate him for the damage, though he had no hard feelings... Made me feel better though...

I think it's going to be a fast setup once I can get the props right. Takes a different approach with the ProBoat motor. It has more torque, but less RPMs than the UL1 setup... We'll get it.

Back