Refinishing my Sport 20

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
Spent the last 4 days sanding and filling dings in my Sport 20. I also made an air scoop for the top of the cowling. I found a new bondo glazing and spot putty at O'Rilley's today. It uses a hardener like regular bondo body filler. Out of the tube, it's white and then turns red when the hardener is added. It will fill a deeper dent or chip than regular glazing and spot putty and costs about $2 more. It sets in 20 minutes, sands easily, and has a harder finish than regular glazing and spot putty. The product number is 801.

I'm hoping to get some primer shot on the hull and top cowling in the next couple of days. I plan to paint the hull red and the cowling white.

JD

Jerry. is the bondo glazing less water absorbent than regular bondo? I was looking at a glazing smiler to this, but did not get it because of my concern. I thought I would just stick whit micro balloons, but it takes for ever to sand. buy the way, is this the boat you built this past winter? I saw you doing a write write up on a sport 20 you where building at that time. you put the DD in it. Well how did it do this season? anyway nice boat Jerry.

Jim

Jerry. is the bondo glazing less water absorbent than regular bondo? I was looking at a glazing smiler to this, but did not get it because of my concern. I thought I would just stick whit micro balloons, but it takes for ever to sand. buy the way, is this the boat you built this past winter? I saw you doing a write write up on a sport 20 you where building at that time. you put the DD in it. Well how did it do this season? anyway nice boat Jerry.

Jim
I've never had an issue with any bondo glazing putty absorbing water - probably because it gets coated with primer and paint. The boat is the one I built last winter. I won the NAMBA District 8 Sport 20 Class with this boat. There was a "learning curve" with the DD. I'm looking forward to the 2015 season based on what I learned this year.

I did manage to shot primer on the bottom/sides of the hull and cowling this evening.

JD

Congrats on the win Jerry. I started building the whip 20 last winter then I got busy and could not fish it. I will have it done this building season. this will be my very first hydro so I will have a lot to learn. I think the 20s are coming back. we will have four sport 20 hydros, and five 20 monos at or club this year. I can't wait to see how it turns out. load some pics when you get done Jerry.

Jim

Back