Prop recommendation for Dumas Circus Circus

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circus circus

Hello, can anyone point me to a good prop to use for the Dumas Circus Circus?

I'm running a OPS.67, 1/4 flex shaft with3/16 stub through a accutech scale hydro strut.

I currently have a Octura X455/3blade but would like some more input.

Thanks guys and gals

Thanks for the info, all my experience is with 1/12 and 1/10 hydros, so I'm still trying to learn the bigger boats. Honestly I'm hooked on 1/8 scale and don't think I'll be running the smaller boats anymore. I got my eye on another 1/8 hull already.

Plans call for an x457 but I changed my strut angle to almost zero so i was thinking a 1400 or 1600 series in the same diameter range 55-62mm

Thanks for the info, all my experience is with 1/12 and 1/10 hydros, so I'm still trying to learn the bigger boats. Honestly I'm hooked on 1/8 scale and don't think I'll be running the smaller boats anymore. I got my eye on another 1/8 hull already.
I hear that brother. Scales are where its at.

Kyle,

I would run a X-457/3 or a reduced X-460/2

Short pipe 10.5" if you can get there. I tested

quite a few of them back in the 90's.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info guys! I've had a lot of success with 3 blade props, for me they seem to rotate smoother and have more power in the turns, while maintaining same top speed as two blades. Plus they seem to hold their balance better.

I'm leaning towards a Octura X457/3

Thanks,

Kyle

Is anybody running higher aspect ratio Propshop props? Like 1.7-1.9 pitch aspect ratio on smaller diamters like 53-55 mm?

Bob,

The only problem with Prop Shop Propellers is the availability of them and the cost.

With have tested quite a few of them, and we have found the higher pitch ratios tend

to upset the angle of attack on a scale boat. If you want to put more angle in the sponsons

it can be a good way to go for you. If you don't want to rebuild your boat try lifting your strut

up higher with a bigger propeller diameter on the back.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

This might be a dumb question but is there any aluminum props that might work? Just curious, because I know some guys in 1/10 that have had some success with them.

This is off-topic, but I still don't know if this hull is legal for racing? I've been told it's not a true scale boat and that the sponsons are narrow and it wouldn't be legal to race in bigger clubs like RCU?

I'm not looking to race this hull, however I'm still curious on the specs. It does look a little small compared to some of the other 1/8 hydros I've seen.

Thanks guys, the other thing I liked about prop shop is they apparently have more lift than octura props. Thinking that smaller diameter coupled with more lift my cancel each other out?

My current boat has aheavy arse, so am looking for more lift and more go forward at the same time. Hadn't thought about lifting strut for running a bigger prop..........

Bob,

Just remember most propellers will run at .7 radi so set your strut

accordingly.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Back