Prop numbers please explain.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam eddings

I see the number's of the prop's but I am not sure how to read them.

I have a 440 prop from Zippkit's can someone break the number down as to what it means and how they did it or link to a website that can break it down?

I guess the 40 part of the number is the pitch but I think I don't have a way to messure this to find out.

The first 4 does not seam to represent .14 or I could be messuring it wrong.

Ok the Propshop 4014e is the same as the Zippkits 440 prop.

14 represents the pitch ratio in the number and 40 is the diameter so It would depend on the manufacturer on how it's listed.

Just guessing that the Zippkit's 438 prop would have the same pitch as the 440 prop but the diameter of the 438 is smaller letting it spin faster ?

14 represents the pitch ratio in the number and 40 is the diameter so It would depend on the manufacturer on how it's listed.

Just guessing that the Zippkit's 438 prop would have the same pitch as the 440 prop but the diameter of the 438 is smaller letting it spin faster ?
Adam, your description on the 438 is not exactly correct...The pitch ratio is the same (1.4), but the actual pitch will be different. The pitch of the 440 is 1.4 X 40 = 56 while the pitch of the 438 is 1.4 X 38 = 53.2

You will also learn that even though several props may have the same numbers there performance may be WAY different. Example the Octura X440 and 1440 both have the same dia (40mm) and same pitch (1.4 X 40 = 56) their performance is very different due to the different blade shape, cup, pitch progression, etc. Welcome to the wonderful world of prop "black magic"!!!

Glenn

Adam, your description on the 438 is not exactly correct...The pitch ratio is the same (1.4), but the actual pitch will be different. The pitch of the 440 is 1.4 X 40 = 56 while the pitch of the 438 is 1.4 X 38 = 53.2

You will also learn that even though several props may have the same numbers there performance may be WAY different. Example the Octura X440 and 1440 both have the same dia (40mm) and same pitch (1.4 X 40 = 56) their performance is very different due to the different blade shape, cup, pitch progression, etc. Welcome to the wonderful world of prop "black magic"!!!

Glenn
I love the math that made the number's simple on how they get the pitch.

Now I got to find out how pitch really works.

Glenn
I love the math that made the number's simple on how they get the pitch.

Now I got to find out how pitch really works.
Adam, there are some great books and articles on the details of how props work...maybe one of the prop guys will come and and give some locations to find the articles (I forgot where I read them). Studying how they work is an important part to getting the best performance from your boat, but the real learning will come with getting a few of them that you know should be in the ball park and bending, cutting, etc to see what happens!

Glenn

Back