problem with os 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cudacuda

Well I have never seen this one before, unless it was with a outbroad K & B. I have a OS 40, two of them actually, just pick them both up from EBAY. Put one in a Phil Thomas hull runs great still have some tunning issues working on it, no motor problem. I put the second OS 40 in a Shockwave had a 46 way to much so I decided a on a OS 40. Started it up, let it warm up gave it a little gas and it stalled alittle, new motor no big deal yet, put her in the water and it was running backwards. Check the battery connections have been running OB K&B's they were hooked up right for an inbroad, check the direction I was holding the started to the boat turning over in the right direction. try again with the boat setting on the table, started up right gave alittle gas and the boat stall and the prop started turning backwards, try starting the OS 40 three or four times and it did this everytime. I don't own any left hand props but check to make sure it was a right handed prop and it was. Well at this point I decieded to look at the other OS 40 its running good, the only difference was the backing plate on the carb side was one bolt hole turn different so I pull the motor and turn the backing plate now it want start and setting on self, until I get some idea of what to do next. Any help would

tn_IMG_3944.JPGbe great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see your first name anywhere..So Mr CC ~ Check your piston to make sure its installed in the right direction. You have a serious timing problem. Nitro's will run in the wrong direction quite nicely untill you hit the throttle.

Jeff~Newbie

Double check the rotor timing.

The backplate intake port should open as the piston is on the upstroke. OS rotor discs have two holes for the crankpin to engage. It's easy to hit the wrong one.

Compare the good runner with the dud.

Bob

Keep us posted. I am interested in what you find. Did you purchase these engines used from e-bay? Were they rebuilt by the previous owner. It sounds like the dud engine was sent to you in that condition. Is it possible to return it? Just a thought.

Good luck~Jeff

Just trying to understand,

you are trying to run a left hand rotating engine to the right without making any changes correct?

Dan.

you are trying to run a left hand rotating engine to the right without making any changes correct?

Dan.

what was happening was every time we would start it the correct direction and let it run for a bit to warm up, when he would jump on the throttle and it would stall and start running backwards....... now we did start it backwards and it started easier????????? oddest thing i have ever seen!

and dan yes i belive to answer your question better he was running a normal left hand engine trying to run it at least, and he was trying to run it left handded, nothing tricky, but the engien had other ideas.........

Well I have never seen this one before, unless it was with a outbroad K & B. I have a OS 40, two of them actually, just pick them both up from EBAY. Put one in a Phil Thomas hull runs great still have some tunning issues working on it, no motor problem. I put the second OS 40 in a Shockwave had a 46 way to much so I decided a on a OS 40. Started it up, let it warm up gave it a little gas and it stalled alittle, new motor no big deal yet, put her in the water and it was running backwards. Check the battery connections have been running OB K&B's they were hooked up right for an inbroad, check the direction I was holding the started to the boat turning over in the right direction. try again with the boat setting on the table, started up right gave alittle gas and the boat stall and the prop started turning backwards, try starting the OS 40 three or four times and it did this everytime. I don't own any left hand props but check to make sure it was a right handed prop and it was. Well at this point I decieded to look at the other OS 40 its running good, the only difference was the backing plate on the carb side was one bolt hole turn different so I pull the motor and turn the backing plate now it want start and setting on self, until I get some idea of what to do next. Any help would
I would use your CMB instead. LOL

Gary

View attachment 11544be great.

Dan.

what was happening was every time we would start it the correct direction and let it run for a bit to warm up, when he would jump on the throttle and it would stall and start running backwards....... now we did start it backwards and it started easier????????? oddest thing i have ever seen!

and dan yes i belive to answer your question better he was running a normal left hand engine trying to run it at least, and he was trying to run it left handded, nothing tricky, but the engien had other ideas.........
Check your starter. Sometimes they will run backwards if the positive and negative cables are backward. If you start a boat backwards, it will run backwards. The boat isn't stalling and then running backwards, its coming to a halt and running backwards because the prop is turning backwards.

I had this problem with an OPS 67. I found out that my starter was on the weak side and when it would fire it would kick back and start backwards. I solved the problem with a new 24 volt starter. Never had the problem after that.

Bob

Dan.

Check your starter. Sometimes they will run backwards if the positive and negative cables are backward. If you start a boat backwards, it will run backwards. The boat isn't stalling and then running backwards, its coming to a halt and running backwards because the prop is turning backwards.

i will say it again THE BOAT STARTED CORRECT AND THEN WOULD STALL AND GO BACKWARDS we did change the starter and it was going the right way. as hard as it might be for you to belive that IS what it was doing there were 5 other people there that are quite knowladgeable with inboards and none could figure out why it WOULD change directions. now we did start it backwards on purpose a few times and it would run backwards just fine. Oh and it is doing this on shore not just when it hit the water.....

Opio,

I believe you man, I believe you. :)

I have had more than one engine that did it and sometimes they still do.

This is what I found as to why it was doing this, started fine but when idling it kept loading up, hit the throttle to clear, almost stalled and changed direction.

noticed that it may be that the carb was set a bit too rich, leaning the needle solved the problem.

Now that was my engines and this problem may not apply to the problem that you guys are having, it is very possible that something else is causing this and I hope you can find it.

let me know when you do.

Dan.

Dan.

i will say it again THE BOAT STARTED CORRECT AND THEN WOULD STALL AND GO BACKWARDS we did change the starter and it was going the right way. as hard as it might be for you to belive that IS what it was doing there were 5 other people there that are quite knowladgeable with inboards and none could figure out why it WOULD change directions. now we did start it backwards on purpose a few times and it would run backwards just fine. Oh and it is doing this on shore not just when it hit the water.....
Had pretty much the same problem last summer with a O.S. .65 disc valve. Retired the boat and built two new ones over the winter. Problem Solved!!! ;)

I would use your CMB instead. LOL

Gary

Gary, how do you get your servos out of the hull I pick up LOL

View attachment 11544be great.

Sounds like the rotor disc is pinned into the wrong hole. Greg

Greg, you are right the pin was in the wrong hole. I brought two of these OS 40's off of ebay 100.00 one was running right out of the box. the other is now running thanks for all of the help. I will file this one away for the future. sounds like others will benfit from these psot also.

Sounds like the rotor disc is pinned into the wrong hole. Greg

Greg, you are right the pin was in the wrong hole. I brought two of these OS 40's off of ebay 100.00 one was running right out of the box. the other is now running thanks for all of the help. I will file this one away for the future. sounds like others will benfit from these psot also.
Greg, are you going to the fun run on Sunday?

Back