Pipe Length for CMB 1.01 in a Mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar_Huff

Hey Gang,

Posting this for Mike Whitley (he can't log on for some reason).

Mike recently picked up a used 1.01 from Joe Warren. He plans to run a 2" aluminum band pipe on the engine (similar to a Mac 15cc pipe, but the band is wider).

What would be a good starting point for the pipe and how you are measuring it (from the glow plug to the center of the band, the start of the rear cone, etc...)

Also, what is the "standard" big block nitro mono prop?

Thanks,

Lamar

Lamar,

I run a MAC 15cc pipe at 11.5" measured from the center of the M (CMB) on the side of the case to the center of the flat band. Maybe start at 11.75" and go in from there? I dont know how big or what the weight is of Mike's Speedcraft boats are but that will be one of the deciding factor on pipe lenght.

X-467's are about the standard prop.

I'm sure you'll get many more "correct" answers. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
THe 2" Band pipe will put Mike in to world he dose not know. His BEST bet is to start with the 15cc get going and work from there. No one has any tuning knowledge of that pipe. So he will be asking questions that most,myself included can't answer. But if he wants to try............all the best. Best thing for him is to make laps with the current set-ups that are available.... ;)

Thanks guys... I will pass along the info. and let Mike run with the ball.

I figured nobody had experience with the 2" band pipe since it is primarily used for gas engines.

Thanks,

Lamar

THe 2" Band pipe will put Mike in to world he dose not know. His BEST bet is to start with the 15cc get going and work from there. No one has any tuning knowledge of that pipe. So he will be asking questions that most,myself included can't answer. But if he wants to try............all the best. Best thing for him is to make laps with the current set-ups that are available.... ;)
I have info. on guys running the Mac's 15cc pipe and also the 13cc. Most like the x467 or x470 prop.

The lenght of pipe I have info. for seems to vary a little , but, not what I would think. Guys runnin the

smaller pipe (13cc) seem to have the same lenght as the 15cc,or close to it. I would like to know if

any have tried both pipes, and what is best. I currently have the 15cc with a x665v cut prop, the 101

Seaducer runs ok with that , but not high 60's to 70 like I know it should. I have a Sholund x467 coming

soon , and will test that , and pass along the info. I will also try a 13cc pipe with that prop.

I'm at 11.25" from plug center to center of band.

Lamar,

I run a MAC 15cc pipe at 11.5" measured from the center of the M (CMB) on the side of the case to the center of the flat band. Maybe start at 11.75" and go in from there? I dont know how big or what the weight is of Mike's Speedcraft boats are but that will be one of the deciding factor on pipe lenght.

X-467's are about the standard prop.

pipe

I'm sure you'll get many more "correct" answers. LOL
I agree with buck cmb 1.01 likes a 15 cc Mac pipe. Mikes boat should start at 12" from the tip of the M to the middle of the band.

I run the 13cc MACS pipe stinger opened up to .470 with good results at 11 1/2" from plug to center weld with very large props at high RPMs on a 1.01.

It all depends on the set up of the boat.

David

Dave and most that have posted here have given good info - the 2 inch band pipe is new turf to most that run em,myself included.

Your gonna get ten different answers on pipe length / but the prop norm is as stated x467 to start/Macs 15 cc or 13cc - The rest is how loose you wanna run it and still finish :eek: Giving up a little power and having a boat that finishes 6 on a regular basis is where to start IMHO ;)

Andy

Dave and most that have posted here have given good info - the 2 inch band pipe is new turf to most that run em,myself included.

Your gonna get ten different answers on pipe length / but the prop norm is as stated x467 to start/Macs 15 cc or 13cc - The rest is how loose you wanna run it and still finish :eek: Giving up a little power and having a boat that finishes 6 on a regular basis is where to start IMHO ;)

Andy
Yes the old tortoise and the hair fable again.

Like I always said I got a hair up my A$$.

Ain't no fun pulling up the rear and hoping for the best. :rolleyes:

Much more fun fighting for first in lane 1. :)

I think Mike is not a lets just finish kinda guy.

His boat dose hold the Gas mono 2 lap record with Julian driving it. :mellow:

Will be nice to see him in the fold here in FL racing X mono.

David

No, Mike is usually not the "let's just finish" type!

I am constantly trying to get him to tighten up his boats!!! :)

Sounds like the general concensus is a 15cc pipe starting @ 12" and working his way in from there is a good starting point (w/ a 467 or 470 prop).

Thanks again, and I will pass along the info!

Lamar

Sounds like the general concensus is a 15cc pipe starting @ 12" and working his way in from there is a good starting point (w/ a 467 or 470 prop).

Lamar
Lamar

I know you guys have some of the 1475's that you use to run on the gas monos back when. give one of those a try you might be surprised.

Lamar
Lamar

I know you guys have some of the 1475's that you use to run on the gas monos back when. give one of those a try you might be surprised.
Is that with or without the notched radio box :rolleyes:

Busting shoes Dave ;)

Get Mark or Jerry to do you up a properly pitched x467 .

Andy

Lamar
Lamar

Is that with or without the notched radio box :rolleyes:

Busting shoes Dave ;)

Get Mark or Jerry to do you up a properly pitched x467 .

Andy
It's not a Seaducer no notching necessary. :rolleyes:

Start at around 12" on the pipe. I run a 7016/410 gas prop on my mono and running around 70 in heat trim with my CMB101 in a AC Razor.

This video was with the CMB extra long black super muffled pipe. It is about 5mph faster with the mac pipe.

View My Video

11.50 from the center of the piston to the Middle of the band ON THE 15CC MAC`s PIPE. #1394 or a 1395 with a 1 inch head pipe welded in. the motor likes HEAT. Run it as Hot as possible on water. sholund has a good basic X467 prop. But it will neeed a ton more pitch to go fast.. A V cut X470 has enought bite it just pulls the blades of the prop. I serious pitched up V cut X467 is BEST!!

Back