Pipe Couplers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClayGlover

What pipe couplers are you guys using?? I ran my 45 rigger yesterday and burned thru yet another coupler. mac 45 and brown parabolic drilled out and it smokes the cmd pink coupler material like it's going out of style. I've used teflon with some luck, but it has its drawbacks. I don't know why this setup is so hard on couplers, the engine runs great. head temps are fine and plugs are fine too :huh:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Claydoh

Last edited by a moderator:
What pipe couplers are you guys using?? I ran my 45 rigger yesterday and burned thru yet another coupler. mac 45 and brown parabolic drilled out and it smokes the cmd pink coupler material like it's going out of style. I've used teflon with some luck, but it has its drawbacks. I don't know why this setup is so hard on couplers, the engine runs great. head temps are fine and plugs are fine too :huh:

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

Claydoh
Clay, I'm using the same pipe on my MAC 45 in a Speedmaster and I had the same problem. I ended up using the teflon coupler but I cut it at the same angle as the header and made it butt up aganst the flange to stop the slipping. Plug the header side of the coupler with a wet length of wooden dowl and wrap it with a wet rag before you heat the coupler up so it doesn't grow the header side. If it still leaks, use a short piece of silicon coupling to make an o-ring to place in front of the coupler. Use a Rossi pipe ring on the pipe side of the coupler to hold pressure against the o-ring.

Well, I wouldn't say never. A couple of years ago I had to replace the one on my B mono. It had finally burned through. That was 8 years on a boat that I ran at all the district races. I think I got my $10 worth.

Mike

Anders, if you are talking about the teflon coupler, it doesn't do any good because you can not get them tight enough because the teflon is too hard. I've tried spring clamps they do not help.
No, i was thinking of Clay and the CMD coupler??

I know that it`s hard to use Ty-raps on teflon coupler.........

Anders

Could guess so, stop useing them and the coupler will last ALOT longer....

I normaly only use Ty-rap on the pipe side and not on the manifolder.

90 engine "45 size" coupler and 45 engine "21 size" coupler and it will be a little tight on the manifolder.

Anders

Back