PAPER or PLASTIC?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a soldier and know how to follow orders. Was told by the District 12 Director to move this thread here away from the District 12 Race #3 thread because I was told it is not relative there. I let you all be the judge of that. My after thoughts since my original post are that some clubs still do give nice trophies, plaques, etc. The CMB Club for one I know personally and I hear others do. They have just about disappeared from D12. I know that every race we conducted at ODMBA in Chesapeake, VA we gave away nice trophies, paid for security, paid for food and port-a-potties and still broke even. I bet trophies or plaques are given at Hobart, and Muncie, and Atlanta and ................ My original opinion follows.

This is a comment for the entire community, its a free country because many like me protect it therefore I get to espouse my opinion. A lot of us are concerned over the trend to not award trophies or plaques in boat racing. It lessens the prestige of the sport in our opinion. Entry funds should be used to buy trophies above all else, the hobby is supposed to be non-profit, everything coming in is supposed to go back out. Buy and award trophies and not free food or goodies, that's my two cents worth. A lot of people that have been doing this for a long time have tired of trophies because they have to figure out what to do with them. This mentality should not be allowed to rob the new generation of the trill of receiving and displaying a trophy they won. Little leaguers get trophies, bowlers get trophies, auto racers get trophies, competitors want and deserve trophies. 30 racers at $40 fees equals $1200. I can't buy that this amount is not enough to buy trophies. Ordering, selecting, buying and delivering trophies is a pain in the @$!. Guess what, everything worthwhile takes time and effort, my mom said it a thousand times to us kids! You just have to make up your mind to do it. Have a nice FREE day speaking English not German.

Happy RC Boating. Lets do all we can to preserve the prestige of our sport guys.

V/R,

James Beasley

I've always enjoyed a nice plaque or trophy such as those I've recieved at many Orlando Winternats , local Brandon races and the Fall Nats in Charleston to name a few . There is certainly enough money at a well attended race for trophys ,lead time is the issue .

mr beas you hit the nail on the head and most of the races that I go to at least $100 or more for entries and always buy $60 in raffle prizes to support racing, im still gonna race no one can kill that.

I agree love a nice tropht or plaque. Put me in line behind Buddy for raffle tix. He wins more on and off the water than most lol

Mr. Beasley, to be clear I said to start a new thread because you originally addressed your post to " the entire community" and did so as an I/W admin and not as the D12 director. Also while I have the utmost respect for your and anyone else's military service to this country it does not automatically entitle you on this private forum and quite honestly is completely irrelevant. Now with that being said I also respect your opinion and hope you will respect everyone else's on this topic. Now on with the show...........

As far as your comparing the local district races to big NATIONAL LEVEL events like Hobart, Atlanta, Charleston, etc (that typically have lots of sponsors) it amounts to comparing an elephant to an ant. To get on here a rag on the D12 races justifying it with such a comparison is in poor taste at the very least in my opinion. In recent years the attendance at district 12 races has suffered quite a bit for a variety of reasons and clubs have struggled to just break even and often losing money. And BTW this is nothing new, the district points series limped along financially for the last couple seasons that we held it monetarily and unbeknownst to most all D12 members I personally made up the difference in funds out of pocket to ensure buying the championship jackets more than once. When the ODMBA club lost the pond that was the death blow to the points series because it was usually the biggest payer into the series funds because it had the luxury of drawing in some of our D13 friends. Clubs like Baltimore and Capitol have expenses that others do not such as park fees and drivers stand rentals. Also when was the last time you purchased any trophies for a race, they have more than doubled in the last 5 or 6 years to the point of small basic wood plaques costing at least $60 or more for 3 places in a single class. At an average of $10 a boat do the math to see what it takes to break even just for the trophies and that's IF you get those minimum numbers in ALL classes which hasn't happened in years. All too often we find ourselves lucky to get three boats in a class, you should know this as you run a number of them that typically struggle for boat counts at the district races you attend. Until the attendance and boat counts go up significantly to where clubs can afford to buy trophies in addition to all the other expenses in holding a race I don't expect things to change. But then again if you want wood trophies at the district races you choose to attend you could always offer to SPONSOR a bunch of 3 boat classes that can't cover themselves cost wise...........

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd like our Nortern Lights Open then! :)

DSCN0640.JPG

There is another option that has been done at R/C Unlimiteds races for the past several years. When someone has a podium finish at a race for the first time, they are given a plaque and a bar to attach to it for that event. After that, any podium finish is awarded another bar to be affixed to the plaque, regardless of the event attended. This keeps costs down and still gives the drivers something to show their accomplishments. If the person running the event want's to also give trophies, that's their call as well. I believe the club has perpetual trophies that are given to the winner that are returned at the following years race to be re-awarded to the new winner. I know R/C U only deals with one or two classes but this is an option that could be applied to any race format

I haven't been around much in the last 12 years. But when I was nitro was strong. And there was no profit year to year. It costs money to do everything involved in a club/tourney. I think the original poster has never been involved enough to understand what it takes.

I wish they would do away with trophies, we know it did good and who didn't! Plus where does one keep so many. Lol

I do appreciate your service to the country but I FAIL to see any relevance to this thread in mentioning it!

Mr. Beasley. What the clubs can give away depends on what the clubs take in. In D-20 in Utah the clubs majority of members voted to keep entry fees low($15.00 for three boats. $5.00 for additional boats) and club fees at $45.00 Per year. Hard to give out nice awards on those fees. I told the Prez. raise the fees and check NAMBA cards........... I was ignored. A few months later he called Kathy G. @ NAMBA and found out 1/3 of the racers were not NAMBA members- He went ballistic :) . Like Don said Sponsor a few classes or get the club to raise fees.

Not that I know anything about this or any districts events but dont forget. Pond maintenanace, grounds maintenance, equiptment maintenance/ upgrades. If someone is not paying for it out of there pocket it has to come from somewhere

It is all about money. Either entry fees cover the cost of trophies, sponsors pay for the trophies, or somebody reaches into his pocket and covers the cost without making an issue of it.

Trophies are nice, but a good time with friends and the resultant bragging rights are the reason that I go to the races.

Al Hobbs

Trophies are nice(thanks Al), in my opinion, are important trophies for junior than for senior drivers - this is the next generation!

Take a look at these:

http://www.masterdesigns.com/trophies.html

I first became aware of them from the West Texas Shootout. Very novel and these guys will design the shape and face to be anything you want. The pricing is super reasonable but the trophies are beautiful and very desireable. I like them because I can hang them in my trailer!

D

James,

I have been racing for 45 years and still like getting a nice trophy. It's kind of like the desert after having a nice meal. When I moved to my present home 13 years ago I threw away two 50 gallon trash cans full of trophys, but I kept a few that heped me to remember some special times I had with my friends. I agee with you that it is a let down when you have a great day at the races and the desert is just a piece of paper. They just get tossed unless there is also a photo of the guys I raced with. I will keep the photo trophys to remember the guys I raced with.

As for why the ODMBA club races had nice trophys ...............because the club actively got sponsors for the trophys. Pretty simple. Get sponsors and put their names on the trophys!

Last year I was attending a d-12 race and someone said.....I could do this at the local pond and not have to pay for a hotel. I said..........it is better than the local pond........we don't have to set up buoys, carry a pickup boat or motor, and someone else picks up our boats for us if they quit on the water. It is what it is right now, so adapt and go with the expectation that D-12 no longer has BIG races. If you want the trophy you will have to go to the big event. Local racing is just that right now. Things go in cycles so trophys will return as the district grows again. D-12 has some of the best people in racing and we are still having a good time.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
When my club, Ford Model Boat Club, (Now Motor City Model Boat Club) Hosted our last few races I gave out photos. This may sound cheesy, Go to the local Dollar store, buy three different styles of frames, one style for each place in each class. Have someone take a digital picture of each class prior to 1st round. This adds a little extra time to 1st round getting everyone and their boat together but it's not bad as our races had less then 80 boats entered. After 1st round send the person that took the pictures down to the local drug store and print out 3 copies of each photo. Insert in frames. I'd print out a sticker to place on the back that stated the race, the date, and the place. I think the last time our awards cost us a grand total of $65.00. When I've been to other boaters homes in our district I've seen more of those photos awards out on display then I've seen any other trophies. The photos are a great way to remember a fun day of racing with friends and they don't break the bank. just my 2 cents. Josh-

FMBC Race Pictures 013.jpg

When my club, Ford Model Boat Club, (Now Motor City Model Boat Club) Hosted our last few races I gave out photos. This may sound cheesy, Go to the local Dollar store, buy three different styles of frames, one style for each place in each class. Have someone take a digital picture of each class prior to 1st round. This adds a little extra time to 1st round getting everyone and their boat together but it's not bad as our races had less then 80 boats entered. After 1st round send the person that took the pictures down to the local drug store and print out 3 copies of each photo. Insert in frames. I'd print out a sticker to place on the back that stated the race, the date, and the place. I think the last time our awards cost us a grand total of $65.00. When I've been to other boaters homes in our district I've seen more of those photos awards out on display then I've seen any other trophies. The photos are a great way to remember a fun day of racing with friends and they don't break the bank. just my 2 cents. Josh-
That is a very good idea for some of the smaller venue's...I like the fact that you will always have the pic. of the people and the boats that they were running at the races. It would be hard to do at some of the bigger events because of the time.Julian had suggested that for the Atl. but to get all the people for their proper classes together for the photo op. would be nearly impossible for such a big event.

The Anchorage Model Boat club did the plaque with add on bars and I would send a picture but I cant find the plaque

I really like the photo Idea

As an example I placed 5th in D hydro at the IMPBA Internats in Dallas in 1979

They dont trophy that far out

But it would be really cool to see pictures of Howie Whitaker,Wray Frietas,Don Farmer and all the other people I raced with all in one shot

The only way i can prove I was there is by looking at the photos I took

So Josh I like your idea

And James ,Yes there does need to be a method to Remember and to Reward,but without breaking the Bank

Even the Photo idea takes dedication from someone to get it all together and thank Goodness for those that do take the time and expend the energy to get it done

Richard

I think trophies are important to grow and keep people attending races. A trophy does not need to be given for all the places. A first place trophy and ribbons for 2nd and third place works great.

Also trophies can be built by members in the club. Many years ago Ed Lackey took several trophies ne won racing motorcycles and made several trophies from them. One year the Huntsville club made the trophies. They were in the shape of a Rocket and a plate was attached for the classes and places. The Southern Gentleman built the MAN TROHIES and they were one of the most sought after trophy[i have three and I will keep them].

It is a matter of how much effort a club is willing to put into a race. "You" know when you are going to have the race and can have as much as a year to get trophies made. The plates[class and place] can go on after classes and entries are set.

Don you are a great builder, get a group together cut out, stain some wood and BINGO a nice trophy

James,

I have been racing for 45 years and still like getting a nice trophy. It's kind of like the desert after having a nice meal. When I moved to my present home 13 years ago I threw away two 50 gallon trash cans full of trophys, but I kept a few that heped me to remember some special times I had with my friends. I agee with you that it is a let down when you have a great day at the races and the desert is just a piece of paper. They just get tossed unless there is also a photo of the guys I raced with. I will keep the photo trophys to remember the guys I raced with.

As for why the ODMBA club races had nice trophys ...............because the club actively got sponsors for the trophys. Pretty simple. Get sponsors and put their names on the trophys!

Last year I was attending a d-12 race and someone said.....I could do this at the local pond and not have to pay for a hotel. I said..........it is better than the local pond........we don't have to set up buoys, carry a pickup boat or motor, and someone else picks up our boats for us if they quit on the water. It is what it is right now, so adapt and go with the expectation that D-12 no longer has BIG races. If you want the trophy you will have to go to the big event. Local racing is just that right now. Things go in cycles so trophys will return as the district grows again. D-12 has some of the best people in racing and we are still having a good time.

John
Ha!! then he needs to go to the local pond where he won't face COMPETITION ! It's all about competition and the thrill of the chase . Lead , follow , or get the hell out of the way !! Hope to see you at Charleston in the fall John . You are a true statesman of the sport /hobby !

Do what they do in SCCA Solo racing. The number of trophies depend on class size. It works for full size auto racing, why not RC boats? 1 trophy for a 3 boat class, 2 trophies for a 4-6 boat class, 3 trophies for a 7-9 boat class, 4 trophies for a 10-13 boat class, 5 trophies for a 14-17 boat class, 6 trophies for a 18-21 boat class, and so on.

Back