Painting Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcguy76

read the article inRCBM about using parma fastcolor paints with a clear coat.....will this work with nitro fuel....if I use a clear coat like lustkote...or should I use a clear coat forautomotive like dupicolor clear.....any help would greatly be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

Most of the "hobby" spray can paints will generally not hold up to the nitro % that you may be using. In my opinion it is worth the extra money to get a quality automtive paint to do the job. I've used both PPG Concept and the Omni AE products with nice results. The Omni costs less and works fine. Be sure to protect yourself and others from the fumes. The Concept is an Acrylic Urethane and is harmful to breath, the Omni is an Acrylic Enamel. Once painted and cleared it should hold up to anything you throw at it. You can also get any custom colors you want.

I missed that article, do you know which issue it was in?

If you haven't already gotten the faskolor paints, there are other more "boat" suitable options in the same price range. Like createx auto-air paints for example, with a similar color selection.

If you have the parma paint already, as long as the chosen clear topcoat is chemically compatible and will properly bond to whatever is below it, and itself is also fuelproof, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think it's generally agreed that a catalyzed auto clear's resistance is superior to any available rattlecan paint to high nitro (30%+), so if funds and resources allow, go that way. Someone else may have a rattlecan clear to recommend as I know some use it. Most importantly though, make sure you test for compatibility of any other paints with your parma paint before committing on the boat for sure! From what I understand, Faskolor is formulated to go solo on lexan. Also, I don't know how strong of a bond the parma has with any primer or other base below it, which is something to consider as well. Problems with non-fuelproof (or lower-nitro-only-fuelproof) paints underneath a fuelproof clear topcoat can still occur through future stress cracks or dings in the clearcoat that can allow fuel through. Tough call. I know that fastcolor can withstand "car fuel" levels of nitro from experience, above 30% nitro I don't know. Cool color selection though for sure, let us know how it works out for you....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used the faskolor on my electrics on top of a primer coat and haven't had any problems, so I'm not worried about it sticking to the primer. The article in RCBM was April 04....the author uses createx...but states that faskolor is nearly identical to createx.....the author goes on to use Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Kut-In Acrylic Clear......so now the dilema begins....do you take RCBM's recommendation like you would any other recommendation from RCBM. I have acouple test strips going on right now..one being faskolor with duplicolor clear over top and it seemed to have no problem with paint that has dried over night....there was a section I painted a couple hours before and it orange peeled, but the other areas are rock hard...I might just go the way of createx...not sure yet..might have to go by the auto paint shop and see what they have....

A guy in my club used this method and The results were poor. I don't know if he used fastcolor but it was a water based lexan paint. The lexan paint eventually separated on the bottom of his monos. Separated meaning the was still lexan paint on the boat as well as the sheet of clear that peeled off. The fastcolor itself just is very hard. I have cleared Rustoleum and had good results. I have cleared some flourescent paints and had the same peeling. I use PPG Concept now with no failures.

OK.....so what kind of paint can I use that wont chew a hole through my lungs when I spray it??? Any good automotive paints that I dont need a respirator to apply??

Thanks

Chris

I don't know of any "automotive" paints that are 100% safe. I would always recommend using some sort of protection when using these.

Any GOOD automotive paint sticks good and hardens to create a durable finish. And.....it will do the same thing in your lungs. Always wear a respirator. As far as paint quality I think an inboard boat will require the extra time and money for a good durable finish, since fuel seems to get everywhere with an inboard. I have used a couple different shake and spray airplane paints over the years on my outboards and had no problems at all.

Mark

Looks to me like you have a bunch of good advise here.

Here is my take.

NEVER SPRAY ANTHING WITHOUT A RESPERTOR, DURRING HEAVY SANDING…RESPERATOR..ANY AIRBORE PARICLES…RESPERATOR…IWATERS GANG, SAY IT WITH ME…..R E S P E R A T O R…

Been there done that and I have paid the price. Do you have any idea what it feels like to have the protective layer around your lungs take a crap from fumes.. You do not want this to happen. .it sucks..

Is spray-painting safe? Yes.. RESPERTOR. I also try and where long sleeve shirts and the like.

I don’t have a lot of time for rattle cans. The RC plane paint is cheap cost and quality and usually requires many coats to get a decent finish.

No question auto paint is the way to go. Its tough, safer then it use to be.. Relative.. and its easy to get.. Just head on down to your local auto parts store or auto paint supply house and buy what you want.

I like PPG and Sherwin Williams clears and Omni AU for color.

You will need spray equipment but then again what guy does not need a good excuse to buy more TOOLS.. Not me.. To do it right just save up and drop the bucks. You will be glad you did. Do some checking on spray guns. My favorite is my little sears touch up gun that I paid 55 bucks for. It has sprayed about 30 boats for me and we just did another last night. The larger guns work great do and the local paint store can help guide you to a purchase.

If all else fails you can have a local painter do it for you but this takes the fun out of it. And this can cost you about the price of a good spraying start up set up.

Grim

So a Airbrush wont spray automotive paint? I know the local paint store will mix up any color in small spray cans....so I might just end up going that way since I only need about 4 colors.....probally runover there in a bit and check out what they have or recommend.....Thanks for all the help guy...I really appreciate it.

Chris

I might add one thing here, Some just can not shoot color "That would be me"

I was the first in my area back in the mid 80's to lower a full size Chevy truck, dropped her in the dirt fixed all the rust and shot her with a Binks gun in a nice coat of Dupont 80 S primer, But thats where my skills stop, I have tried and I just dont have the finess for it, Cross compatability between primers and color coats and clears, fisheye, orange peel, Start small and see if ya got the stuff and have fun :D

Sideblues.....I can hold my own with a airbrush...painted my fair share of rc car bodies....unfortunately none of them ran on 40% nitro...so I'm new to the automotive paints which seem just a tad bit more complicated and dangerous

My favorite is my little sears touch up gun that I paid 55 bucks for.
That's what I use. Works great. The can is just large enough, when it's filled will paint an entire hull with whatever color you have with 2-3 coats.

Yeah thats me too, the new auto paints are better than they were, I got confused on all the two part catalyst, base coat, clear coat, anti fish eye, etc,

Your local auto supply can help ya out with suggestions there thou :D

Or hang out with a pro, watch how he does it, A friend of mine makes it look soooo simple, no runs, deep and shiney, Me its all runs, drips, and errors :lol:

rcguy76 said:
So a Airbrush wont spray automotive paint? I know the local paint store will mix up any color in small spray cans....so I might just end up going that way since I only need about 4 colors.....probally runover there in a bit and check out what they have or recommend.....Thanks for all the help guy...I really appreciate it.Chris
RC

An Airbrush will do a great job with auto paints. The problem is keeping a wet edge on a large area.

I also do airbrush work and use auto paints when ever possible. I have gone the Autoair, Createx and others method and i hate them.

BTY. If its boat painting you are doing then no matter if its clear of color it needs to be catalyzed. Otherwise the fuel will rune the paint.. Im not sure we said that before.

Russell

I have had my touchup gun for about 6 years and its never needed any service.. Its just keeps going and going and going..

Grim

Iv'e had mine since lets see...........1996-97. I make sure its clean when I'm done and it's never let me down yet.

WOW...might be reworking my paint scheme... :(

Wen to the paint store.......Paint for the boat with 4 colors and clear is going to run around 125-150 All I can say is OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Yea, it's not cheap. Can't just buy the paint. You need catalyst, reducer, etc. Adds up quick!!! But worth it.

Hi Fellas:

What is the best pressure to spray at- around 40 p.s.i.?

Also, for safety measures, what is the best type of respirator to use? I remember a buddy who spray painted his car for the first time- he only wore one of the cheap paper masks. He ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks.

Thanks, David

The paint will dictate the pressure. The Omni is around 40-50 psi with a conv. gun. I think 12-18 hvlp. I'll need to look at the spec sheet.

You will need a cartridge type organic vapor respirator when spraying. Talk to the paint shop or visit a safety supply shop and tell them what your using. The thing is, make sure you get one with the right cartridge. Some will filter benzene, some ammonia, some this and that. I get mine at work free :rolleyes:

Back