Paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Templeton

2"x8" ply, sealed with west systems, painted and allowed to fully cure at least 3 weeks and waxed with Turtle Wax.

20 hours later, excess wiped off and re-waxed.

This is the 3rd such test on the same piece with no visible spots, lifting,

change in color or surface.

The Paint - " RUST-OLEUM" standard stops rust spray

No further comments! : :)

don.... put some 70% on it, then set a flat aluminum part on top simulating a motor mount..... leave overnite..... then ill be convinced :eek:

Actually I envy anyone who can paint and comes out lookin good at all, just not my luck. I seal with two coats SIG Supercoat, followed by one coat clear Deft laquer, add some graphics and go splash it.

Your test does look good though!!!

Gene ;D

Hi Tom, Glad to see you back!

Don't have any over 40% and like I said-"NO COMMENT" ;D ;D ;D

Hey Tom, Did your TR come with a shim or gasket for the head button

like the exploded view shows? If it did I must have lost mine when I

rotated the heat sink!

Thanks

Don

OK OK Tom

Here we go again! Only 40% but with aluminum on it. We'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Are you doing these tests on your red and white riggers paint? If you are, I'm convinced :eek:

Hammer

" NO WAY HAMMER" In fact, I don't plan on using any thing other than

2 part poly or epoxy on any other boats. This boat was kind of a test

to see if I could remember how to build a rigger. I had some old 21 sponsons off an old SAW boat, modified them and built a tub. I've learned a bunch from that and this forum and am now building one from scratch with all the great information received from all of you.

I found some guys on the net that were using Rust-Oleum and said

it worked, found this forum and just couldn't wait to take a picture and post it! :p

Come to think about it, it might make a very fast 21 before it melts! ;D

" WELL TOM " I let it sit all night, took a blow torch to it, ran my jeep over it several times and let my dog pee on it. ;D

Actually, when I tried to lift off the aluminum this morning the nitro had formed a vacuum under it and I had to slide it off. There is a change in the texture of the paint that was under the aluminum. It wasn't soft and wouldn't peal off or anything but it kind of wrinkled the surface.

"GOOD CALL TOM" 8) Still, not bad for Rust-oleum.

"Hey Tom" Why don't you take some more time off! I was doing pretty good until you showed up again. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"JUST KIDDING" ;)

Really great to have you back. :D

Don

"Hey Tom" Why don't you take some more time off! I was doing pretty good until you showed up again. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
hehe.... well you see the aluminum will stop the nitro from evaporating. anywhere on your boat you have 2 surfaces that touch that you dont take appart at the end of the day could do this. i hate to disassemble my boat 100% every time. just think of all the places it could happen..... strut mount, rudder mount, motor mount, 3rd channel mount, tuned pipe mount, sponson boom mounts, fuel tank.....

now do i have a better suggestion.... nope sorry.

i'm trying ppg omni au this year...

Hey Tom, Did your TR come with a shim or gasket for the head button

like the exploded view shows? If it did I must have lost mine when I

rotated the heat sink.

Don

Tom, Did you miss this?

P.S. How about water colors? You could change your boat color every day! : :)

Tom and Don, I use ppg omni au on everything I paint and use 60 % with no problems, I dont usually do colors on the tub, I like the natural look, so I use Omni High solids clear with urethane hardner. Its eighty bucks a gallon for the clear but it goes a LONG way! (My dad owns a customizing shop and has all of the goodies to paint with) You will like the omni series paints Tom.

~ James

Maybe I'm trying to re-invent the wheel, but couldn't you put a bit of clear silicone adhesive under the parts as you assemble the boat? To keep the fuel from getting under the parts?

...a really kewl 8) experiment!!

I've had some bad experiences with using rust paint and high nitro fuel....and I remember it happening pretty **** fast. *although it was maybe 6 or 7 years now....maybe the rust paints are getting more advanced too.

I use UC now...and it rocks. I can never use anything else again.

Stay cool!

Back