Paint for 1/8 Joes Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardKnox

Any help welcome. Where can I get the paint for my Joes hydro without spending a fortune. Thanks Rich

Any help welcome. Where can I get the paint for my Joes hydro without spending a fortune. Thanks Rich
If you want it to be correct cheap really isn't an option unfortunately. The yellow you might be able to save a little on but the purple is House of Kolors Violet Pearl #PBC40. No other color will look like it should especially on an 1/8th scale where you are supposed to duplicate the real thing as closely as possible. The HOK is basecoat/clearcoat so you might as well do the yellow the same way, lay your graphics on then clearcoat. TCP Global sells smaller ready to spray bottles which will save you a significant amount of cash over buying a pint or quart of the PCB40. I have built all three years of the various Smokin' Joe's unlimited in 1/8th as well as SJ themed cat boats and monos. I still consider it one of the best paint schemes ever.

Attachments

• HOK.jpg
    HOK.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 0
  • -hootsSJ.jpg
    -hootsSJ.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 0
I now have the hoc product to spray but Iam going nuts as to how I can put on 3 colors, decals and clear in 24 hours. Do I finish 1 color at a time and put on decals and clear at a time. How long after color before I can apply decals then clear. Also how long before I can apply tape over color for next color. Thanks for all the help.

I now have the hoc product to spray but Iam going nuts as to how I can put on 3 colors, decals and clear in 24 hours. Do I finish 1 color at a time and put on decals and clear at a time. How long after color before I can apply decals then clear. Also how long before I can apply tape over color for next color. Thanks for all the help.
Did you get the yellow as basecoat/clearcoat as well? Basecoats dry very quickly and you might get away with shooting color early in the day and doing graphics that night. Honestly every SJ that I built the clear went on typically 48 hours later if not more and never had an issue. Finish up the paint one day, graphics the next and clear the third day. I used PPG DCC2021 clear on all three.

Yes yellow purple violet neon orange and clear. My first time with hok. Just so Iam clear with process No sanding after paint its suppose to look dull . Thanks

My data sheet shows HOK recommends the topcoat applied within 4 hours.
I used HOK Sg-100 clear intercoat after the basecoat then you can come back to it later, lightly 500 sand or scuff then reapply the inter coat and your 4 hour clock starts over.
I’m definitely not a pro painter but my SJ turned out pretty good I think.

Attachments

• IMG_8301.jpeg
    IMG_8301.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
My data sheet shows HOK recommends the topcoat applied within 4 hours.
I used HOK Sg-100 clear intercoat after the basecoat then you can come back to it later, lightly 500 sand or scuff then reapply the inter coat and your 4 hour clock starts over.
I’m definitely not a pro painter but my SJ turned out pretty good I think.
I shot over HOK 2 days later on all three SJ scales I did as well as other boats done in the SJ theme with ZERO issues. One thing to keep in mind the HOK spec sheets (as well as others) are for cars in a much more demanding environment. ;)

Back