OT: Milling Machines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkhedeos

I know some of you have them, how much did they cost you, what brand is it, and how is it holding up?

I am thinking about getting one because I think it will be handy, but im not sure if itll be worth it because I dont really know how to use one and because I dont really make that many things out of metal. I saw something about proxxon in popular mechanics, but is this any good?

There are tons of used Bridgeport and Bridgeport clone mills available, often with tooling. If you have the room and ability to move one in (they weigh over 2000 pounds), you will have a great value for your dollar.

Lohring Miller

There are tons of used Bridgeport and Bridgeport clone mills available, often with tooling. If you have the room and ability to move one in (they weigh over 2000 pounds), you will have a great value for your dollar.
Lohring Miller
I Agree with Lohring-even though I have a Grizzley mill in my garage. Wish I'd have got a Bridgeport many times. A shop I worked at in the late 1980's bought one with a power feed on the x axis for $1500.00 at a auction in Reno. Don't forget you'll need tooling also- a mill vice, Parallels, Dial indicators ect. As far as learning how to use it Starret makes a handbook for student machinist's or just ask the guys on I.W. Probably a couple dozen-or more good machinist's on this forum. Good luck, Glenn

Thanks guys, the only problem is that I dont have that much room for one machine. I was looking for more of a benchtop one that I can use to machine small parts like rudders and mounts. I am thinking about taking up an apprenticeship for machining to learn and get the feel for it.

I think starting out like I did with a bench top mill is just the ticket and if you ever want to sell it it would not be a problem.I also have a small lathe 10x22 great size for this hobby Good luck with what ever you choose

Last edited by a moderator:
Back