Octura 1450 props

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember seeing Ed Lackys boat run at the 99 internats.. for some reason I remember the SAW part of his race.. he made it to the trophy trials so the boat must have run well.

Having said this I can not remember how he finished?

I do however remember watching the boat run (fantastic RPMs) but the boat (RR) would not make a straight pass to save its life.. He tried and tried to get a straight run but to no avail.. I have to think that the boat was running about 85 or so (very very hot weather)

If he was running those speeds in heat trim I just don’t remember it.. anybody remember this?

Maybe Bill M was at the race but if he was I don’t remember any 80+ mph heat racing boats.

I have not seen Ed since so maybe the end of the 80+ mph heat racing boat era.. at least for now…….

Boat was JACKING THE RPM.s!

Grim

Point is 80 mph is obtainable & it does require a Great engine that will triple stage the pipe & lot of home work on the Boat set up.

joe.. do you mean a h-7 because octura don't make a h-10?
chris
yes, But he ran a Older Tidewater H10. That is what was current back in 99-2000 era. If you ever see it done 80 plus mph heat racing .21. You will be on a Quest to repeat it!!

Bill Mcgraw had one 10 years ago that would run 83-84 mph any time he Desired. We are not talking one or 2 times I`am talking every other weekend. 3lb. Roadrunner Xtreme 21, Frank Orlic .21 Nova Rossi, ops 3280 @ 3 1/4 swinging a reduced & tip pitched Older (tidewater) H10 W/ 70% Nitro Odonnell in the tank. On Stalker Radar Gun 83-84 any time he wanted!! Mcgraw & Ed Lackey had some of the fastest 20 hydro I have ever seen to date!
Joe, are you saying 83-84 in a heat race or the only boat on the water???

Bill Mcgraw had one 10 years ago that would run 83-84 mph any time he Desired. We are not talking one or 2 times I`am talking every other weekend. 3lb. Roadrunner Xtreme 21, Frank Orlic .21 Nova Rossi, ops 3280 @ 3 1/4 swinging a reduced & tip pitched Older (tidewater) H10 W/ 70% Nitro Odonnell in the tank. On Stalker Radar Gun 83-84 any time he wanted!! Mcgraw & Ed Lackey had some of the fastest 20 hydro I have ever seen to date!

Radar runs, With a heat racing set up. Not a Saw Rudder or Turn fin.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know it's possible, just have not been there yet? A 3 pound .21 is very light.

I know it's possible, just have not been there yet? A 3 pound .21 is very light.
Superior light ply tub , I remember the engine servos being 2 sided taped in the bottom of the boat. Imrom paint extremely light on paint & sealers

Joe:

Actually I think the prop was a 1450 that Bill had me make a duplicator for so that he didn't lose it. I still have the duplicator but I could never pull a prop off of that duplicator. Guess that was because of the super light weight boat. At that time, I was also running Nova Rossi Engines but light weight boats are great for pulling big props. They are not so good at heat racing in chopped up water. Ed Lackey also had a lot of trouble with the little light boat, but if he got out front, you were in trouble. Not sure that 80 mph is possible right now in heat race trim for a 20 boat. At least not one that will race in regular water.

I do remember that every time that Bill McGraw showed up at a race, it was going to be spectacular.

Marty Davis

Marty

i'm with you, give me a 3 pound 21 rigger and i will go 80mph+

but in race conditions, with other boats racing around i stick with my 3-3/4---4 pound racing 21 hydro and happy to go 73mph+

but everyone is different... :rolleyes:

p.s i can count on one hand how many 45 hydro's are even going 80mph in race trim in AUS....

Tim

back to topic,

i've seen 73mph+ with mod 1450, never run full blade, its all about those rpm's for me baby.....as you know... :rolleyes:

regards Aaron

Joe:
Actually I think the prop was a 1450 that Bill had me make a duplicator for so that he didn't lose it. I still have the duplicator but I could never pull a prop off of that duplicator. Guess that was because of the super light weight boat. At that time, I was also running Nova Rossi Engines but light weight boats are great for pulling big props, but now so good at heat racing in chopped up water. Ed Lackey also had a lot of trouble with the little light boat, but if he got out front, you were in trouble. Not sure that 80 mph is possible right now in heat race trim for a 20 boat. At least not one that will race in regular water.

I do remember that every time that Bill McGraw showed up at a race, it was going to be spectacular.

Marty Davis
Yes, He could have been called the WILD THANG When it came to driving. I`am sure many of the props in his boxes had your input & some bending. I held the radar gun on it many times @ over 80 mph with various pitched 1450`s, H- 7`s, H-10`s. As you know he paid very close detail to the engine & pipe & prop & Carb plus Only Odonnell Fuel... Just in that order. Funny thing is you wont have to see it when it happens again. You can HEAR IT & You will come to the bank to Watch............ I remember early one Sunday morn. I seen Stu`s 40 Hydro go over 90mph @ a racing event. 2-3 boats on the water, Very light wind & the Air was Excellent. Was it in Heat Trim?? It was in a heat race @ evansville!! 2-3 radar guns came out to record the Numbers. Dont know if I have seen it since. These were amazing feats with the 20 hydro & 40 Hydro. Now back to the 1450`s & the number it can run.

Joe:
Actually I think the prop was a 1450 that Bill had me make a duplicator for so that he didn't lose it. I still have the duplicator but I could never pull a prop off of that duplicator. Guess that was because of the super light weight boat. At that time, I was also running Nova Rossi Engines but light weight boats are great for pulling big props, but now so good at heat racing in chopped up water. Ed Lackey also had a lot of trouble with the little light boat, but if he got out front, you were in trouble. Not sure that 80 mph is possible right now in heat race trim for a 20 boat. At least not one that will race in regular water.

Marty Davis
Yes, He could have been called the WILD THANG When it came to driving. I`am sure many of the props in his boxes had your input & some bending. I held the radar gun on it many times @ over 80 mph with various pitched 1450`s, H- 7`s, H-10`s. As you know he paid very close detail to the engine & pipe & prop & Carb plus Only Odonnell Fuel... Just in that order. Funny thing is you wont have to see it when it happens again. You can HEAR IT & You will come to the bank to Watch............ I remember early one Sunday morn. I seen Stu`s 40 Hydro go over 90mph @ a racing event. 2-3 boats on the water, Very light wind & the Air was Excellent. Was it in Heat Trim?? It was in a heat race @ evansville!! 2-3 radar guns came out to record the Numbers. Dont know if I have seen it since. These were amazing feats with the 20 hydro & 40 Hydro. Now back to the 1450`s & the number it can run.

Bill spent more time on 20 engines, pipes, props than ALMOST anyone that I have seen. He was meticulous about everything. How "into it" was he? He spent several thousand dollars on a dyno just to test 21's. No telling how many piston and sleeves that he went through sorting to find the best ones and the best timing, compression ratios, etc. I think that he finally decided that Franco Orlic knew more about making a Nova Rossi run than anyone and started buying his mod engines.

I will miss Bill at the pond "showing his stuff".

As for Stu's 40 boat: I saw it run in Celina one time and I told him that it was the most impressive boat that I had ever seen. Some time later, Ron VanWagnen had a 40 boat that was even better and turned amazingly well. He started in the D main at the Masters, won it, moved to the C, won it, moved to the B, won it and then to the A and won it. That was 12 heats in a row.

I doubt that a 20 hydro of less than 3.5 lbs would be a good race boat. My current 20 hydro is 3.7 and is about right. I would like for it to be a few ozs lighter than that, but can't find it.

As for 40 boats, your 40 hydro was easily the most impressive 40 boat at Charleston this past season. VERY fast and good running boat in all kinds of race water.

Joe:

Marty Davis

Joe spent more time on 20 engines, pipes, props than ALMOST anyone that I have seen. He was meticulous about everything. How "into it" was he? He spent several thousand dollars on a dyno just to test 21's. No telling how many piston and sleeves that he went through sorting to find the best ones and the best timing, compression ratios, etc. I think that he finally decided that Franco Orlic knew more about making a Nova Rossi run than anyone and started buying his mod engines.

As for Stu's 40 boat: I saw it run in Celina one time and I told him that it was the most impressive boat that I had ever seen. Some time later, Ron VanWagnen had a 40 boat that was even better and turned amazingly well. He started in the D main at the Masters, won it, moved to the C, won it, moved to the B, won it and then to the A and won it. That was 12 heats in a row.

I doubt that a 20 hydro of less than 3.5 lbs would be a good race boat. My current 20 hydro is 3.7 and is about right. I would like for it to be a few ozs lighter than that, but can't find it.

As for 40 boats, your 40 hydro was easily the most impressive 40 boat at Charleston this past season. VERY fast and good running boat in all kinds of race water.
Marty, didn't Don F win 40 hydro with a perfect score?? :eek: Joe's boats are always fast, guess it goes to show the most impressive, very fast and good running don't always win. ;) ;)

Joe:

Marty Davis

Joe spent more time on 20 engines, pipes, props than ALMOST anyone that I have seen. He was meticulous about everything. How "into it" was he? He spent several thousand dollars on a dyno just to test 21's. No telling how many piston and sleeves that he went through sorting to find the best ones and the best timing, compression ratios, etc. I think that he finally decided that Franco Orlic knew more about making a Nova Rossi run than anyone and started buying his mod engines.

Marty, didn't Don F win 40 hydro with a perfect score?? :eek: Joe's boats are always fast, guess it goes to show the most impressive, very fast and good running don't always win. ;) ;)

Yes, Don won 40 hydro. I said that Joe's boat was the most impressive 40 boat there. No question about that....Don was consistent and put up points. I tend to look at boats and how they perform more now that look at the winner. I am interested in what people are doing to get the optimum performance. I can learn the most that way and maybe put some of what I see into my boats. I saw the way that Joe's boat handled the race water and have added a little to the wheelbase of my design because of that.

I sure didn't have the best 60 boat either, but I backed into it.

The results of the 40 (D) hydro class in Charleston last Oct were:

1st - Don Ferrette, perfect score, 40 Crapshooter and CMB 45RS

2nd - Rod Hendricks

3rd - Tracy Dolphin

Joe and I got caught up in the wreck off buoys 2 & 3 and got dumped avoiding it. Otherwise both of us would have done better. But that is part of racing.

Marty,

Joe's boat did run exceptionally well but he no longer owns it. You will see it in my stable now. And yes, I did a goof in 60 hydro and opened the door for you to take 1st away. I will not repeat that mistake again.

Joe:

Marty Davis

Ray...... Man That Hurt....... But Where was your boy Don in F Hydro @ Charleston?? :blink: :blink: I hate to thrown ole Don under the bus...... But While your under there, Check the Drive Shaft?? :lol: :lol: Sorry Don... :p :p I have come to believe I do not have the patience to race 40 Hydro?? :( Marty, I sold that same 40 boat to John Knight less the engine pipe & prop. He got a Good one... :huh: Look for a New 2009 UFO 60 Hydro racing @ a pond near you. Just a little larger than the UFO 45 Hydro that John Knight bought.Can`t wait to get it wet... I have a couple of New Orlic Picco 67`s just waiting to go under the Hood.

Joe:

Marty Davis

Ray...... Man That Hurt....... But Where was your boy Don in F Hydro @ Charleston?? :blink: :blink: I hate to thrown ole Don under the bus...... But While your under there, Check the Drive Shaft?? :lol: :lol: Sorry Don... :p :p I have come to believe I do not have the patience to race 40 Hydro?? :( Marty, I sold that same 40 boat to John Knight less the engine pipe & prop. He got a Good one... :huh: Look for a New 2009 UFO 60 Hydro racing @ a pond near you. Just a little larger than the UFO 45 Hydro that John Knight bought.Can`t wait to get it wet...

Joe:

You are correct about that... You sure don't keep boats very long :) I am sure the 60 boat will be good. Look out for Mark Grannis, his 60 boat is SMOKING....

John:

Another great boat, you will be tough in several classes now....

Joe:

Marty Davis

Ray...... Man That Hurt....... But Where was your boy Don in F Hydro @ Charleston?? :blink: :blink: I hate to thrown ole Don under the bus...... But While your under there, Check the Drive Shaft?? :lol: :lol: Sorry Don... :p :p I have come to believe I do not have the patience to race 40 Hydro?? :( Marty, I sold that same 40 boat to John Knight less the engine pipe & prop. He got a Good one... :huh:
Joe, no disrespect to you, your equiptment is always top notch. This FROG would crap himself running as fast you guys do!! :lol: This hobby is about friendships as much as speed, I could not let my "boy" Don go unmentioned. Getting any 20 boat to run WOT for six laps is hard to do. See you guys in Hotlanta. B) B)

Joe:

Marty Davis

Ray...... Man That Hurt....... But Where was your boy Don in F Hydro @ Charleston?? :blink: :blink: I hate to thrown ole Don under the bus...... But While your under there, Check the Drive Shaft?? :lol: :lol: Sorry Don... :p :p I have come to believe I do not have the patience to race 40 Hydro?? :( Marty, I sold that same 40 boat to John Knight less the engine pipe & prop. He got a Good one... :huh:
Joe, no disrespect to you, your equiptment is always top notch. This FROG would crap himself running as fast you guys do!! :lol: This hobby is about friendships as much as speed, I could not let my "boy" Don go unmentioned. Getting any 20 boat to run WOT for six laps is hard to do. See you guys in Hotlanta. B) B)
I hear ya, We all could have had better weather conditons. It would have allowed for some Wide open racing!! Now, thats what we came for........WOT Racing...... :blink: Back to the 1450 topic.....Sorry guys we were racing around in here..... :( .

Back