O.S. Engine for my JAE12g

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Drust

I finally have my engine ready for my JAE12g. Any thoughts or ideas of what else I should do to it? I gave up on the pull start and put a rear cover on it. I had to cut the nub off the crank to make it work. Cutting down the head was a complete guess, so I hope I did not take off too much. Assuming it runs, I don't think I did to bad on it, considering I only paid $20 for the engine. I did put a lot of money into other parts like the carb seal, control horn, head shim, and new screws.

12cv-7.JPG

12cv-8.JPG

12cv-9.JPG

12cv-10.JPG

I finally have my engine ready for my JAE12g. Any thoughts or ideas of what else I should do to it? I gave up on the pull start and put a rear cover on it. I had to cut the nub off the crank to make it work. Cutting down the head was a complete guess, so I hope I did not take off too much. Assuming it runs, I don't think I did to bad on it, considering I only paid $20 for the engine. I did put a lot of money into other parts like the carb seal, control horn, head shim, and new screws.

12cv-7.JPG

12cv-8.JPG

12cv-9.JPG

12cv-10.JPG
Eric,That might be a little to much cooling head , but try and see how warm it gets.

Jim

P.S. Your strut will ship out today.

Looks good to me, run it and see where your at.... BTW Dynamite used to make a chrome P/S for CV's for pretty cheap...if you need a rebuild soon

What collet is that? I've got an alum flywheel but looking for a lighter collet setup than my steel to shed a few grams :)

Eric,

I would not run any cooling, but I would control engine temp. with a

mixture control. No need for that extra weight.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Eric,

Yes, a mixture control. These little engines can be cooled with

the right amount of nitro in the motor.

Happy Holidays,

Mark Sholund

Nothing wrong with the CV eric, but keep an eye open for a CVR. It has a bit more HP than the CV. I used to watch for them on ebay and pick them up. I have a .12 CVR in my home made .12 rigger...

of my tuning session with it a couple years back. And yes, it has too much head on it. It only had a Y535 on it in that video.
Here is a .12 CVR on ebay. Looks like the shaft is too short, but you can see what they go for by watching it and get an idea of what one my cost you.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
My worry would be that the flex cable collet may be too long not giving you any room ahead of the bulkhead. Octura I believe is now making them shorter again but I have shortened them myself the "man without a lathe" way, chucking it up in a drill and using a hacksaw to cut off the excess. Crude but it did the job nicely.

I don't know if another OS .12 heat sink would bolt on or not as when I first saw those, my thought wa that it had to be really heavy.

A larger bore carb would wake it up as those ROAR bores really kill those engines. It's our version of NACAR restrictor plate racing yet IMPBA and NAMBA let you run any size carb that you like except in very few classes.

Ron, you mentioned the carb before, and once I know the engine works, I am going to make that the next step to boost performance. I don't have engine mounts yet (all sold out), but with the engine centered front to rear on the ply mount area there is over 1/2" from the bulkhead to the collet. The way I bent my stuffing tube it just sticks out of the bulkhead by about 1/8". I hope this is enough space. The head on my engine has had about 1/8" taken off all the sides first, then cut down over half. There is not too much left on it really. If it runs too cool, I can always cut off more, but if I cut too much and needed to add too it, that might not be much fun!

Ron is right about having two different sizes. I accidentally picked up the wrong size from Finleys hobby in Wichita Kansas last time I was there.

Pic attached shows the difference in size.

Sean

collet.jpg

Latest posts

Back