Nitro Rigger Airboat (VIDEO ADDED)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

I have been waiting for this little beast to arrive. Powered by an OS .46 AX Spinning a 10" prop at 18,000 rpm. Boat has not yet seen water since it's trip from the Netherlands. It has an adjustable engine mount to fine tune the CG.

100_2927.jpg

100_2926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
keep us posted on how it runs. It looks killer though. Like Ray said watch that APC prop, They will hurt you. Ryon

We made one almost exactly like that based on a Crapshooter Eldiablo kit, (back in1979). We spent a lot of time sorting it out, (on snow, slush ice etc).

18k rpm's?? wow..at what point does the blade go supersonic??
18,000 RPM is that with 30% nitro??

Walt Barney
Thanks guys for all the replys. I will post vids as soon as I can. Looking for 50mph...keep your fingers crossed. I use only 15% nitro and can run that high of r's because I have started water cooling the head. So far so go... no issues with over heating.

Walt Barney
Thanks guys for all the replys. I will post vids as soon as I can. Looking for 50mph...keep your fingers crossed. I use only 15% nitro and can run that high of r's because I have started water cooling the head. So far so go... no issues with over heating.
That looks like a Macs muffler on there. If you drill out the stinger you'll gain a bunch of rpm. Also try some different props. A 10-6 isn't a speed prop. Try a 9-7 or some of the APC pylon props in the 8 to 8.5" range. You need to get to 18K before it will start to go. Over 20K consistently and that motor will either break a rod or blow a hole thru the top of the piston. It's a sport motor. My 2 cents worth. That is one cool boat though. :D

Walt Barney
That looks like a Macs muffler on there. If you drill out the stinger you'll gain a bunch of rpm. Also try some different props. A 10-6 isn't a speed prop. Try a 9-7 or some of the APC pylon props in the 8 to 8.5" range. You need to get to 18K before it will start to go. Over 20K consistently and that motor will either break a rod or blow a hole thru the top of the piston. It's a sport motor. My 2 cents worth. That is one cool boat though. :D
Thanks for your two cents. I am always open to others opinion. About the sport engine. Yes, It's not a power house but I am planning to out run the BIG MONEY engine with my $100 dollar engine. It's just a personal test.

I see you have knowledge in airplanes. One thing you have to remember is that small DIA tends to hurt the preformance of our boats. Prop slipping is a huge factor when drag over comes forward travel. So a bigger dia prop at lesser rpm's give you a better balance when racing.

Goal with this set up is to hit a min of 50mph and hoping for 60mph on a long straight. A Jett.60 will be added at a later date for a faster straight line speed.

I cant wait to see vids..might have to build myself a rigger air boat.
Once I find time away from work I will finsh the boat and post vids. We are finally getting noticed by other boaters due to increase of SPEED. If you want a easy build there is a laser cut kit that just hit the market several months back. Easy enough for the newbee and easily mod'ed for the advanced builder.

I'm powering this model with an OS .75 AX. Not looking for a straight line boat but a great racer. In the process of making a turn fin. WE TURN LEFT. So, in the future I will need advice with placement and shape.

100_2797.jpg

100_2928.jpg

Guys I got a chance today for a little test run. WOW! I was suprised by the speed and the handling. The video shows the boats first time in the water. I was so pleased with the attitude of the boat no adjustments were made. Iwas running in the middle of an IMPBA track.

100_3031.jpg

Madien voyage

I WANT ONE WHERE DO I GO???TWIN
Sorry Nitro for the slow reply I work too much. I made this guy custom Ti blades and mounting hardware. I also make all of his one off rudder assemblies. I scratch his back he scratches mine.

This is a great running boat. One of the best I have ever had. If you want I will send you his email address. He may build more if others are interested. Fulled rigged with fuel est. 3-3.5lbs.

I would buy anything this guy built.

Back