New Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushless Devil

First of all, let me excuse if this isn´t the right place to put mine topic, but since it´s a outrigger...... ;)

Hello guys

Boat went to mayden today, but not with the resulsts i expected..Ok maybe i want more then i can get, but the potential is very high..at least for me...

Hull is made based on the 45 twin JAE plans, the attack angles from front sponsons and back ski are the same has the original..

I just widened the contact area of the front sponsons to 2.1 inch wide and the back ski to 1.2 inch wide!

This was made to "support" the increase of weight of the boat!

Boat, RTR with 8S2P 5300mah lipos are 13.6 Lb, boat has 37 inch length..

For the 60/40 weight (Front/Back)rule that i read on the other forums, i have 63/37.....

Motor is a TP 5850 7D 1050KV with a octura 1657 prop...It should be a bullet.....But it isn´t..

IMG_20121125_132101.jpg

IMG_20121125_132001.jpg

20121124_172345.jpg

The problem is that the boat seems to run very "WET"...It doens't run loose, if you know what i mean....

Do you think that i should increase the attack angle of the front sponsons?I´m having the original 3.75º for the front and 2º for the back,has per plans...

From the data logging of the MGM 250 speed controller i´m having peaks of 200amps, and a mean of 160 amps.....The power is there, but it doesn´t "Fly" the way i expected....

JAE in the videos seems "loose" from the water, mine seems kind of sticked....

Waiting to make a bullet with your help guys...i know it´s the first time to the water, but i can reduce mine setup time with yours invaluable help!

Best Regards to all of You, and Happy Thanksgiving.. :eek:lleyes:

Gerardo, Nice looking RIgger. What are your expectations ? When I ran the numbers on an FE calculator it looks like it should run a little over 70 mph. What kind of speed were you seeing ? Phil

Gerardo, Nice looking RIgger. What are your expectations ? When I ran the numbers on an FE calculator it looks like it should run a little over 70 mph. What kind of speed were you seeing ? Phil
Hello Phil

I´m expecting low to mid 80's...but i´m not getting 55mph...from opinions it seems that the 13 Lb rigger needs wider sponsons for supporting the weight....

Thank you for your input!

:)

Hello Phil

I´m expecting low to mid 80's...but i´m not getting 55mph...from opinions it seems that the 13 Lb rigger needs wider sponsons for supporting the weight....

Thank you for your input!

If you haven't seen this you might find it helpful.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/conversion.htm

Plug your numbers into the last tool on the page. I have found it's usually very close. Can you post a pic of the transom and strut angle. Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
just by the pics and your numbers it looks like ALOT of attack angle on the fronts.. i would if you could back it off ot 4 1/2 degrees'' that will get you room for adjustment.. 2 on on the ski is good. what props are your running?

my 21 nitro boat i run over 4 1/2 degree's on the front but i like looser boats.

chris

I am pretty sure the weight up front is an issue also. The Lipo's do hold most of the weight and putting them that far forward will make the nose "dig in" more.

Paul

As previous owner of 2 jae fe riggers you want the lipos as far back possible or some what near the turn fin

just by the pics and your numbers it looks like ALOT of attack angle on the fronts.. i would if you could back it off ot 4 1/2 degrees'' that will get you room for adjustment.. 2 on on the ski is good. what props are your running?

my 21 nitro boat i run over 4 1/2 degree's on the front but i like looser boats.

chris
Hello Chris

I like to run looser boats like you....

I didn´t want to reinvent the wheel so i went stricly by the plans.....3.75º at the front and 2º in the back ski!

I read in a lot of foruns that people want to change the JAE design, and the design simpley works if i just follow the plans!

The only thing i did was widen the surface are of the front sponsosn and back ski, in order to sustain the 13 pounds the boats weights....But maybe i need to widened it even more!

I am pretty sure the weight up front is an issue also. The Lipo's do hold most of the weight and putting them that far forward will make the nose "dig in" more.

Paul
Hello Paul!

I just went, again by the JAE plans, and putted 60% of the weight in the front sponsons and 40% on the prop.....

Hi Gerardo

Nice project ...I would say that 1657 has too much lift for your boat ..Gill
Olá Gil..eu sou Português,,mas para todo o mundo nos comprrender é melhor falar Inglês!

Já agora, parabéns pelo teu JAE brushless que anda que se farta....

The octura 1657, is backcutted and cupped on the trailing edge and tip leading edge in order to get a little more pitch, and reduce lift and thrust cone...

Best regards

Hey Gerardo

do you have any videos of your boat running? if you do post a link on here. A friend of mine has been running a leopard 5692 1300 on i think 8s in a cat and he has been having huge problems with it, the motor is drawing huge amps but the boat just isn't moving as quick as it should be. after 12months of messing around and watching 4s rigger and 6s mono's fly past him he has given up with the boat as nothing we can do to the boat will make it fly, we have tried every prop we own on it and it just doen't want to go above 40mph.

I know when i originally set up my Eagle SG as an electric i had a whole host of problems which came mainly from the weight distribution. Currently i am running 4 cells up front (in the fuel tank area) and 4 cells at the rear in the radio tray area and the electric motor in the engine bay. This seems to work really well and keeps up with the 45 nitro riggers really easily at my lake. Speed wise i'm not sure as my GPS is not working at the moments

steve

Hey Gerardo,

I have a 10S in that hull, I had too much weight up front and I also added ride pads to the front to gain about 3/8" more width. Will run in the straights fine but it will dig in on some corners and do a deep dive. May just turn it into a straight away boat! The FE JAE's do need more tail weight I'd say. At least the ones I run...

Hi Gerardo Thanks for your compliment about my Jae Fe my very first electric experience and what I can say is wow.Now .I'm working on a new boat that you can see on my page and the first tests were amazing with 6S too.If you need something and have a skype we can trade experiences there in portughese.You are in the right place to get great advises from great people.Cheers

Gill

Hello Paul..that sounds strange since JAE are know for theyr turning quality..Don´t know, may be some of the JAE guys can help us....

How much width do you have on you ride pads?

Best Regards

Hi Gerardo Thanks for your compliment about my Jae Fe my very first electric experience and what I can say is wow.Now .I'm working on a new boat that you can see on my page and the first tests were amazing with 6S too.If you need something and have a skype we can trade experiences there in portughese.You are in the right place to get great advises from great people.Cheers

Gill

Gill

Hello Gill

I have just sent you an invite to skype.....I have already saw the pics of your SAW boat... :)

Best Regards

I will do a measurement tonight but what ever the plans called for it what I built it to, then added the ride pads after. When it hooks in it is very quick and has broken a boom tube from the forces! (5/16" CF solid rod) It is strange in deed. Have not worked very hard to fix it just to busy to have the time.

Paul

Mello guys..

Arrived home and took some PICs..

I'm having other issue that is The speed controller..From The sound of The boat running i always thought that something wasn't OK....after refining the data of The MGM data logger that is part of The speed controller i see that when i have 100% throttle input request ,i dont get The same 100% output Power, but only 78%....i guess that The hardware or/and software AMP fuse is being activated .....need to reduce prop, that i will try tomorrow...i will try also 8S1P instead of 2P just to check Power/Weight ratio..

I cant push The batteries far back...they are at The limit...

Hope you check The pics and give an input!

IMG_20121129_012445.jpg

IMG_20121129_012513.jpg

IMG_20121129_012654.jpg

IMG_20121129_012729.jpg

IMG_20121129_013851.jpg

IMG_20121129_014014.jpg

i will take more props with me for testing.on The pic there is an prather 235.....

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Do You have the right sponson toed in 1/8"? or how much rudder do you to run straight?

JAE's REQUIRE the toe in to eliminate the snap turn in.

you don't seem to have any space between your dog drive and your strut, you should have a gap to stop the dog drive binding against the strut, this could be one of your problems. Does your PTFE thrust washer have any bind marks on it??

Hi Gerardo

Looking to pics I can't see any big issue responsible for the low performance that You've related.If the problem was with the esc just substitute it or fix the problem.The AOA of the front sponsons looks ok as the rear ski. Are you using the ferrule sistem?Otherwise there is no gap between the drivedog and the strut that causes drag and can brake the shaft.Is the prop a Prather one? I have tried Prather props on my Jae and she doesn't like them at all.Octura 1457 to 1462 have being working well on my new boat with heat race set up using a Leo 4092 on 8S.one more thing: I would try to keep the rudderblade behing the prop to avoid the pressure of the proptrust.Keep testing and posting.Abraços Gill

Back