New CMB67 Piston

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WikiWiki1

Supporting Member
I just bought a new piston and sleeve for my CMB green head and noticed

the piston is covered with tiny pits (metal porosity). Is this normal?

I have never replaced one before so I'm not sure it they are supposed

to be this way. My original one does not have this.

Thanks, Brent

CMB67_PISTON1.jpg

Thanks, Brent
It depends where the shop=owner stored it, if it was a moistured area it could be the cause. You can remove it with a fine grit sandpaper

Thanks, Brent
Kinda looks like corrosion Brent, I don't think this is normal.

Glenn

Definately not normal. IF you bought it locally, I'd take it back and ask for a good one as that one is definately corroded. You can sand it if you wish, just be careful not to be too agressive as it could change the shape and make the piston worthless

Thanks, Brent
If it were me, I would hate to pay out that much cash and have to sand it to make it work. Need to get a new one.

BB

Guys ...relax ....the cast piston has the dull look to it and it does not look like a billet machined item . I have seen this in every Italian made motor since my first OPS back when Dinosaurs roamed ! It has the appearance of a lightly pitted surface that has been machined (OD Ground ) . I would not worry about it as it is normal , but if you like please post pictures for verification .

DONT SAND IT OR POLISH IT !

Last edited by a moderator:
Their is nothing wrong with that piston, Its not corrosion or anything like that or porousity that you need to worry about. What you think is small holes in the material is silicon dispersed through out the piston, This is very common in cast pistons. The pistons with a shiny surface are billet machined pistons that have a much finer dispersal of silicon and other elements through out the piston that you dont get with castings. As already said do not touch the piston with any thing abraisive to try to clean piston as its not corrosion, Or you will ruin the piston especialy if you dont know what your doing regarding useing anything on pistons and liners. Pistons and liners can have and do have abraisives used on them to lap them but not if you are inexperienced in this area. Regards Martin.

Their is nothing wrong with that piston, Its not corrosion or anything like that or porousity that you need to worry about. What you think is small holes in the material is silicon dispersed through out the piston, This is very common in cast pistons. The pistons with a shiny surface are billet machined pistons that have a much finer dispersal of silicon and other elements through out the piston that you dont get with castings. As already said do not touch the piston with any thing abraisive to try to clean piston as its not corrosion, Or you will ruin the piston especialy if you dont know what your doing regarding useing anything on pistons and liners. Pistons and liners can have and do have abraisives used on them to lap them but not if you are inexperienced in this area. Regards Martin.
Wipe it good with WD-40 and put it in. Whats the sleeve look like good I assume?

Last edited by a moderator:
Brent,

I have looked at my inventory and found all the pistons look that way. I agree with Tom and Martin, don't sand or alter. Some of these are already in service and I have not heard of any problems with performance or durability.

Stu Barr

Those black looking dots are just the silicon crystals vital to stop the piston expanding when hot, So just run your motor. Regards Martin.

Back