needle valve

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckly I have a OS eedle that looks like the one in Teds answer. I also have a Fox univ.type I was going to use but it's pretty large. Hard to find a spot for it since my eng. compaartment is pretty tight. Thanks for the input.

Ken

depends on your application but the BVM neddle valves also work really well with my Twin rigger.

julian

Luckly I have a OS eedle that looks like the one in Teds answer. I also have a Fox univ.type I was going to use but it's pretty large. Hard to find a spot for it since my eng. compaartment is pretty tight. Thanks for the input.

Ken
Ken, is this the Fox needle your talking about? I use this needle in my Mono hull - because there is plenty of room. Some people don't like this type of needle -due to it's a (stub needle). I like it for the easy of adjusting it(large head). They're just metering devices anyways. ;)

Ken
Ken, is this the Fox needle your talking about? I use this needle in my Mono hull - because there is plenty of room. Some people don't like this type of needle -due to it's a (stub needle). I like it for the easy of adjusting it(large head). They're just metering devices anyways. ;)

Yes that's the one.It's just a little big for my eng. compartment. Glad to see someone else uses them.

Yes that's the one.It's just a little big for my eng. compartment. Glad to see someone else uses them.
Ken come by Brandon this weekend and look me up. In case you havent found what you want or need I will have some on hand.

Blue V Nose trailer with awning, I should be parked to the North side of the pit area.

Ron

I don't care for that FOX valve. Two tests I use are a flow meter to see how readings change, with adjustments, and an automotive vacuum tester to see how it seals. (block one side and it has to hold vacuum) The Fox leaked on more than one new valve. OS are quality and K&B's remote needles work very well. Seals leaking is the biggest issue as then the setting really fluctuate and are very inconsistent.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care for that FOX valve. Two tests I use are a flow meter to see how readings change, with adjustments, and an automotive vacuum tester to see how it seals. (block one side and it has to hold vacuum) The Fox leaked on more than one new valve. OS are quality and K&B's remote needles work very well. Seals leaking is the biggest issue as then the setting really fluctuate and are very inconsistent.

Mic
I agree with you on this - Mic. My kid had one of these on his Mono Hull - the same time I had mine. His leaked and caused leaning in his motor, while mine was just fine. This is the only reason why I still have it in my Mono. I wouldn't recommend this needle, but it works good in my boat.. "If it aint broke - don't fix it!!" :D Well, maybe I should fix it, so it don't cause me troubles down the road. :)

Depends on what type of boat/Motor. If it's for(Let's say) a .12 hydro with a Nova rossi engine - I use a remote called O.S. Max OSMG7172 type needle. Works good and you can fashion your own mount for it. Here is a link, for example.

http://hobbyhobby.com/store/product/191382/22281903-Needle-Assembly-%233A212A/
that same needle is what i use on my .21 cmb's. excellent range of adjustment, not touchy at all. i have them in 3 boats - ob hydro, ob tunnel & ib rigger.

Ken
No detent clicks on those to gauge the amount of adjustment you make while tuning. Gilligan (Todd) has used those in the past and you know how consistent he can run.
cool.gif

Ken
No detent clicks on those to gauge the amount of adjustment you make while tuning. Gilligan (Todd) has used those in the past and you know how consistent he can run.
cool.gif
Larry, I run the O.S. Needle in my .12 & .21, but I run the Fox in my Mono.. I didn't want it to feel left-out, so I'm giving it a chance. :eek: :lol: :D

Ken
cool.gif
Larry, I run the O.S. Needle in my .12 & .21, but I run the Fox in my Mono.. I didn't want it to feel left-out, so I'm giving it a chance. :eek: :lol: :D
Ted,

Good luck with it.
tongue.gif
I have run an assortment of needles remote and third channel. OS I like the best. the K&B's also work well. The BV's are my least favorite. Put the appropriate OS needle for your application, in one of Don Ferrette's bases and you will have one of the best setups available.

Larry

couldn't agree with you more, larry. os needles, both remote & third channel have been the most reliable, trouble free setup i've ever used. don's base with the os needle it's made for is the cat's meow for third channel B) . i don't know what os uses for theis oring material, but i've got some going into their fourth season, with no issues!! just checked them with a hand vacuum pump last week, no leaks. i bought spare orings, just not sure why, now....... i run 65% wildcat, so it's not low nitro. i do afterrun with alcohol & 30% oil (byron's 95% syn/5% castor), running on the bench through the needle, maybe flushing them along with the engine is helping?

Depends on what type of boat/Motor. If it's for(Let's say) a .12 hydro with a Nova rossi engine - I use a remote called O.S. Max OSMG7172 type needle. Works good and you can fashion your own mount for it. Here is a link, for example.

It looks like these are discontinued on Tower's site. Is there a different OS recommendation that is currently being stocked at tower or perhaps my LHS?

Maybe this one for .12's and .21's?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCU32&P=7

Later

Mike

It looks like these are discontinued on Tower's site. Is there a different OS recommendation that is currently being stocked at tower or perhaps my LHS?

Maybe this one for .12's and .21's?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCU32&P=7

Later

Mike
Mike, try your LHS.. Stay away from the Fox needle. You must be looking for a needle that's larger than a .12 or .21 - then? I think O.S. has the 40P's and larger :huh: Larry & the other guys like to run 3rd channel needles in their boats, I don't. If you go to the Remote type(Stand alone) - then stick with O.S.

Ted.

Has anyone used the CMB needle ?? They claim it can be used for a 21 up to a 67 ...

Back