need help with a radar gun

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Welch Jr.

hi everyone

i need to now what everyone is useing for a radar gun and you . what if any are my options .

thank in advance

howard

Radar guns lie! They say your boats are going WAY slower than they actually are!

~ James

The better ones are the most expensive ones.

I have the cheapest one I could find, it works but pointing at small boats, thats difficult and my guess is that they are accurate within a couple of %

Ronald

bushnell guns are cheap 80-125.00...stalkers are expensive but nice...i do have to say one day on the lake i held a stalker in one hand and a bushnell in the other....they read exactly the same but the stalker reads decimal also...thats the only difference i saw except the price...it is hard to shoot a rc boat...the bigger the better...also be sure to shoot the boat straight on or the reading will vary...

ac

I use a Stalker Professional Sport Radar gun. It is "NOT" an X band (10.525 GHz) or K band (24.150 GHz)device, but a Ka band device operating at 35.1 GHz, which helps reduce sources of radio frequency interference. It can track a model plane at 1,000 feet & a baseball at 300 feet. Speeds range from 1 to 300 mph; accuracy of +/- 0.1 mph; target acquisition time 0.01 seconds in whole digits, 0.04 seconds in tenth digits; update rate 100 per second in whole digits, 30 per second in tenth digits. It is more than adequate for model boat testing. One important note about all radar guns, THE GUN MUST BE STATIONARY WHEN TAKING ANY READINGS. Moving the gun as the model passes will give incorrect readings.

Jim Allen

Radar guns lie! They say your boats are going WAY slower than they actually are!

~ James
In 1998 my friend Stan Simpson put the radar on my boat at a Huntsville, Ala. record trial using a Stalker pro radar gun.

The boat was officially clocked through the traps at 117.4 MPH. Stan's Stalker showed a top speed during that pass at 119.8 MPH.

Hmmmmmm....I wonder how fast the boat was really going if Radar guns are reading WAY slower. :)

P.S. If you point your radar gun at the boat with the gun at 90 degrees to the line of boat travel, you will find that your boat is going ZERO MPH. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were some good days back then! I sure do miss the Simpsons being around!

Andy I will give ya 120 Top speed and 117.6 thru the traps :p

~ James
In 1998 my friend Stan Simpson put the radar on my boat at a Huntsville, Ala. record trial using a Stalker pro radar gun.

The boat was officially clocked through the traps at 117.4 MPH. Stan's Stalker showed a top speed during that pass at 119.8 MPH.

Hmmmmmm....I wonder how fast the boat was really going if Radar guns are reading WAY slower. :)

P.S. If you point your radar gun at the boat with the gun at 90 degrees to the line of boat travel, you will find that your boat is going ZERO MPH. :D

It was a joke guys, maybe some didnt get it.

The ole..."My boat has got to be running 60mph!", when in reality the gun shows 42mph.

Just not the same when you have to explain it. :rolleyes:

~ James

lol.....thats funny.... hey james,,,you get my pm's???? let me know....

my bushnell for the money is all im looking for...i intentionally bought it for tuning snowmobiles...but it works great on my boats...staying straight on with your target is key....that gets some what scary when you have 136 mph snowmobile headed at a line thats 4ft away from you...key factor is,,,stay still,,dont move at all....lol...

thanks everyone i need to now where i am at. the guessing is getting old and the closest lake that has a measured coarse is 3 hours away so a stop watch is not helping right now . so a 200 or 300 dollar gun will work cool .

howard

**** it James!!! How the heck am I supposed to know your joking if you dont put in one the smiley faces!!! I just dont understand people sometimes. It really pisses me off. They get on hear and start typeing away and no one can understand what emotion they are trying to convey. I am really steamed.

PS Just kidding. :p :p :p :p :p :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back