Need help for best methods to fill an area (Fiberglass cowling)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay I survived my first epoxy/resin/fiberglass cloth mod. I think I should have used the Denatured alcohol to dilute the resin a bit because as cautious as I was, it just glooped on and was a real pain to sand down. Luckily I have a hand held power sander which made the smoothing job infinitely better and faster than if I had to do the job manually.

I have it to the point to where it's relatively smooth but still can feel the ridge even though it's much better. My thought is, I can finish the job using putty the rest of the way, sand that down to a smooth finish and see how it looks with a shot of primer in the area.

I'm afraid to hit it with primer and realize it looks awful, lol. Time will soon tell.

That's one of the things primer is for, to see if the surface looks good or not. I'd use a rattle can primer for this step since it's inexpensive and will show how well you did.

That’s my thinking too. Would show the warts really quick. And then putty? Here’s some photos of my progress. It’s hard to tell to be honest in photos.

Attachments

• IMG_5290.jpeg
    IMG_5290.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5289.jpeg
    IMG_5289.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5288.jpeg
    IMG_5288.jpeg
    560.4 KB · Views: 0
Back