NASCAR creative thinking items not well known

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Caruso

Pretty good!

Ford / Mercury 427 cu" engines would get P&G 'd would come up 426.5 cu" perfect lets race. Hmmmm but a side by side hammer down all you could hear was the other guys 427 as he pulled you off every corner hard? WTH Well before the P&G test these big teams would remove the exhaust or header mounting bolts, then remove the Allen screws or some had 1/2 turn Allen set screws that where in the bottom of the bolt hole drilled into the combustion chamber. Creating a leak so the displacement would check 426.5 cu" these engines had nice stroker cranks and at 482 cu" ran a little harder than your 427 LOL

Best one!

How about using the engines oil pressure to raise the carb off the intake manifold the what looked to be welded in place restricter plate to gain an easy 100 HP? Yes you can buy installing small pistons in the intake manifold acting like a hyd jack. Fun part is getting it jetted so it would not melt pistons.

Drag Cars

Have to weight a certain amount to make class.

Doors filled with water, slick's with water all which were drained before racing. Oh too light a concrete filled spare tire will help an adding the weight just were you need it.

Rules make all you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another trick was to fill the roll cage with fuel before getting to the track, and having a pressure valve open to let the extra fuel to run the engine to get a few more laps in before the 1st pit stop. One very well known racer did this for almost a year before the inspectors found it..

In the lower stock classes at the local track most people were running Chevy's and could turn the short tracks very well the, Fords did not turn to good but if you moved the right front upper and lower a frame back about 3" this made the Ford turn better that the Chevy, and could win A few races, most inspectors did not know the ins and outs of the Fords like they did the Chevy's, and unless you knew what to look for you would never notice the difference.

Walt Barney

Another trick was to fill the roll cage with fuel before getting to the track, and having a pressure valve open to let the extra fuel to run the engine to get a few more laps in before the 1st pit stop. One very well known racer did this for almost a year before the inspectors found it..

In the lower stock classes at the local track most people were running Chevy's and could turn the short tracks very well the, Fords did not turn to good but if you moved the right front upper and lower a frame back about 3" this made the Ford turn better that the Chevy, and could win A few races, most inspectors did not know the ins and outs of the Fords like they did the Chevy's, and unless you knew what to look for you would never notice the difference.

Walt Barney
Good ones LOL

Hey Walt,

In a land far far away before Spintron testing machines. There was Harley-Davidson Bagger that ran in NHRA Drag racing which ran XXXXX camshafts and turned 8000 rpm. Well if you rifle-drill the valve stems and install a hardened tips on the rocker arm end and not changing anything else ...... you gain 800 rpm. Great thing was @ 8800 rpm it did allow it set a record in stock class. Too long ago but I want to say it ran low 12's. That was 35 years ago a full dress bagger HA

Walt Barney
Good ones LOL

Hey Walt,

In a land far far away before Spintron testing machines. There was Harley-Davidson Bagger that ran in NHRA Drag racing which ran XXXXX camshafts and turned 8000 rpm. Well if you rifle-drill the valve stems and install a hardened tips on the rocker arm end and not changing anything else ...... you gain 800 rpm. Great thing was @ 8800 rpm it did allow it set a record in stock class. Too long ago but I want to say it ran low 12's. That was 35 years ago a full dress bagger HA
Mike,

Never ran any bikes just played with the cars until I got knocked out from being T boned, and the wife said, me or that @#$%^ car I chose the wife, and she got me into boat racing, by buying me the Atlas van lines boat , engine and radio that was a long time ago, around 1975. Still have the wife now for 48 years, she was and still is a keeper!!!

Walt

Walt Barney
Good ones LOL

Hey Walt,

Mike,

Never ran any bikes just played with the cars until I got knocked out from being T boned, and the wife said, me or that @#$%^ car I chose the wife, and she got me into boat racing, by buying me the Atlas van lines boat , engine and radio that was a long time ago, around 1975. Still have the wife now for 48 years, she was and still is a keeper!!!

Walt
I have a great wife too 44 years for us......after my 1st open heart operation she told my Daughter to hide my new crash helmet no more driving.

Petty's NOS in the roll cage Is still my favorite.
I have a favorite and that is when the cars started going faster through the corners. They built a false double floor board which housed the electronics which had wheel rpm sensors that feed inof to the black box. The black box in turn would drop out cylinders allowing the car to get more bite in the corner. The public know it as Traction Control LOL.

One other oval track trick was my friend made a Left rear axle shaft and spline d hub assembly so you could adjust camber and caster on the left rear wheel . That baby worked.

simple trick i used to use at the dirt track, different offset wheels on each side. this was in a "bomber" class, VERY limited mods allowed. ran a 78 valiant 2 dr. NOBODY at the local track knew much about mopars. ran the heaviest torsion bars mopar offered. never got caught. they did catch someone almost every weekend in a chevy, trying to run a cut down truck coil spring in the r/f.the rules stated stock suspension. kyb high pressure gas shox. peel the sticker & paint them black. plus, with adjusters stock on the torsion bars, i had wedge adjustments :ph34r: . v-8, 2 barrels, cast iron stock intake & ex., .500" max lift cam. it wasn't about power, it was setup......ran a 360 with 915 J heads off a 71 C body 2 barrel. same as 340 6 pack heads, just with smaller valves. class rules said no 2.02" intakes.

Back