NAMBA RULE PROPOSALS NOW ONLINE - 1/2A Class, FE updates, Gas Thunderboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin Jordan

2013 NAMBA Propwash-FE Proposal

Proposals:

http://www.namba.com/content/library/rules/rule_proposals_2013-01.pdf

Propwash:

http://www.namba.com/content/library/propwash/2013/March/

There are 5 FE rule proposals for your consideration. There is also a 1/2A (.12) Nitro power class proposal, 1/2A Sport Hydro inclusion, proposals for racing rule/course updates, and a proposal that affects what type of driver figure is required for a Gas Thunderboat.

Please access the following documents for detailed information regarding these proposals.

All seem reasonable to me, with the exception of the Gas Thunderboat driver figure rule. WHY??? Don't the "Scale" guys have enough classes to be nit-picky about? I'm around a lot of Gas Thunderboats, and it seems to me to be a FUN class, and I enjoy seeing the funny drivers some of you guys pick. Why go "scale snob" on this class?? I guess that's why we have voting... ;)

I was wondering when NAMBA would get around to a 1/2-A (.12) class! I've been running .12 sized nitro boats since before they were popular, way back around 2000. As an IMPBA member though, the only thing that has even come close to taking off is the outrigger class. I currently have 2 mono's and a Sport .12 that after building it a good 3 years ago has yet to see water. These boats are faster than many think and the most fun that you can have on 4 ounces of fuel.

The biggest complaint that I've seen so far is that at many one-day races you'll hear "that's just what we need, another class in an otherwise full day of racing!".

At least get it on the books so that the NAMBA racers do have an option, you might just like it!

Brian and Tyler tested some .12 stuff at the SAW event in LA last weekend. Looked like fun to me. Ran a JAE Rigger. I know that Glenn Q. has been running a .12 shovel nose sport hydro as well. I think it's a good idea. Local races only have to support the boats that show up. Having it in the rules gives clubs a consistent option. I vote YES... :)

Its too bad NAMBA (since they are using the number descriptors) don’t follow the standards for a nitro engine.

Just more confusion..

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard that NAMBA patterned this form is the A,B,C system thats been used for EVER in modeling. BUT.. For some reason NAMBA jumped up one letter in there "displacement-vrs-Class"

What should be:

1/4A

1/2A

A

B

C

and so on, is off one letter regarding the "normal" displacement callouts..

IMPBA DID follow this pattern and so there in allow "a normal" understanding of letter -vrs- displacement.

No big issue either way.. just too bad..

Grim

By not being a NAMBA member I really don't have a dog in this fight. The IMPBA proposed at one time just going to 20,40, 60, etc. to help simplify things instead of the alphabet. now if you really want to mess things up, the AMA uses 1/2-A as their .049-.051 engines.

Just be happy that no matter what they call it, they are looking forward and want to allow the .12's to race.

Ron,

Point being that.. the AMA has had that in place FOR EVER.. the IMPBA adopted those standards (made sense.. why reinvent the wheel) when they formed but for some reason NAMBA slipped a letter. I just have never understood it that’s all.

I have an AMA designated D free flight engine; I have an IMPBA D hydro, displacement on those is one and the same… but for some reason NAMBA C hydro is also the same displaement.

Now they are talking a 1/2A class and that (normally) is a motor that has a displacement of.000-.0504 Cubic Inch

Grimracer

I agree with Darin. I will vote yes for all but the TB driver rule which seems silly to me.

It is definitely time for NAMBA to have the .12 motor designation and classes on the books.

How ever you choose to vote is up to you, but please do vote.

Kelly.

Just to note.. this is not a *****.. its a "well.. thats to bad"

If you are a NAMBA member.. please VOTE!

Grim

Back