My experience with the MV Deuce

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on track to what I was trying to do with this post...my experience with the Deuce.

OK...My family and I went to the Del City race this last weekend. Took Friday off from work to get there for open water and spent most of my open water time trying to find a tune on this boat (my mono ran good pretty much right away, so put it up before I broke it). Spent LOTS of time trying to figure the deuce out...only to finally realize that the carb was not opening all the way, even with full trim. This, and the fact that my radio TX and RX were not bound together...makes me wonder what happened with the radio install in the boat (training day at the factory??). Anyhow, had to move the linkage to the carb out to the last hole in the servo arm. Still needs more work, the servo arm for the throttle is resting on the hub of the servo arm for the rudder when at WOT (which is where it is most of the race).

OK...Then in the third out of four heats, when I went to start the boat for my daughter, the starter on the engine was stripped. Never really caught during this start, and the engine was not liquid locked...so guess it stripped during the last heat I started it. I have not taken it apart yet to see what happened (one way bearing, or gears...if there are gears in there). My daughter put a belt on it to start it for the last heat, which worked for that heat. The starter wand is a neat idea...just wish it lasted longer.

Still have not found the right tune on it...28.5 is still the highest GPS speed I got out of it...and the water was too rough in Del to open it up during the race (not that I have it tuned right yet anyhow).

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Vegas Deuce about 2 weeks ago. I soon found several problems that have already been mentioned in this thread. The stuffing tube and flex shaft didn't line up, the carb didn't open all the way, the flex shaft was really draggy in the tube, the collet...well, you know how that works. I haven't had any problem with my starter but a friend of mine had his lockup. I put a drop of very thin oil around the shaft after each run or so. I think your going to find that breaking this engine in is a little different than an OS. Mine did not run consistently until I got it broke in. I accidently got mine really hot when something blocked up the cooling system. After that little episode it runs fine. I also found that to get mine to pull a 36/55 Grim prop I had to cut the slot in the strut a little deeper to get the prop up higher. The Grim turn fin is absolutely necesary to get it to turn. The stock one simply won't cut it. I changed my tank when I realized the cap did not hold pressure well. I have seen my friends have tanks that failed due to breakage and disintegration.

In my opinion, I think the boat is worth the money. Sure it has problems, but for the speed you get, it's worth the work you need to do to get it reliable. I got into racing boats 4 years ago and I didn't own an RTR until this one. I looked at them but just wasn't impressed until I saw Chuck Hildreth race Mike Z's Deuce at Evansville last month. Chuck was able to pass at will. So far I have raced in 8 heat races with mine. I DNF'd one heat. I got the needle way rich on one and just stayed out of evryone's way. I've won the other 6 heats.

I'm enjoying this while it lasts. I'm sure more and more of these will begin showing up making it harder and harder to win heats.

I would really like to see the clubs in our district (14) offer separate trohies for kids in this class. I take no pleasure in taking trophies that they would just be tickled to death to win. This is about the only class that is slow enough for some of these little guys and gals and this boat, with it's speed potential, is going to change the makeup of the entry list,s for this event.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I got my Vegas Deuce about 2 weeks ago. I soon found several problems that have already been mentioned in this thread. The stuffing tube and flex shaft didn't line up, the carb didn't open all the way, the flex shaft was really draggy in the tube, the collet...well, you know how that works. I haven't had any problem with my starter but a friend of mine had his lockup. I put a drop of very thin oil around the shaft after each run or so. I think your going to find that breaking this engine in is a little different than an OS. Mine did not run consistently until I got it broke in. I accidently got mine really hot when something blocked up the cooling system. After that little episode it runs fine. I also found that to get mine to pull a 36/55 Grim prop I had to cut the slot in the strut a little deeper to get the prop up higher. The Grim turn fin is absolutely necesary to get it to turn. The stock one simply won't cut it. I changed my tank when I realized the cap did not hold pressure well. I have seen my friends have tanks that failed due to breakage and disintegration. In my opinion, I think the boat is worth the money. Sure it has problems, but for the speed you get, it's worth the work you need to do to get it reliable. I got into racing boats 4 years ago and I didn't own an RTR until this one. I looked at them but just wasn't impressed until I saw Chuck Hildreth race Mike Z's Deuce at Evansville last month. Chuck was able to pass at will. So far I have raced in 8 heat races with mine. I DNF'd one heat. I got the needle way rich on one and just stayed out of evryone's way. I've won the other 6 heats.

I'm enjoying this while it lasts. I'm sure more and more of these will begin showing up making it harder and harder to win heats.

I would really like to see the clubs in our district (14) offer separate trohies for kids in this class. I take no pleasure in taking trophies that they would just be tickled to death to win. This is about the only class that is slow enough for some of these little guys and gals and this boat, with it's speed potential, is going to change the makeup of the entry list,s for this event.

Just my 2 cents worth.
We give trophies to all entries in the RTR class at the Masters, as you said the new kids need something no matter how far down they finish.

Ronnie
I know of the issue you speak of.. we had a bach of bad plastic (found this on the alligator tours boat as well). Sean did not mention this to be the issue and nor has this been the (typical) issue in the past.

Good catch however the spider crack tanks were more then bad.. a complete swing and a miss on the marital.. I have NO IDEA why they changed them.. I do know this however.. they got STRICT ORDERS to address the issue ASAP! lol.. that was my political way of saying that!

Current boats are not shipping with the spider crack tanks.. and if anybody somehow happens to get one let me know ASAP!

ROCK ON!

Grim
I got one of the crap tanks with my Deuce. Did what I have done to my other 3 MV's. Epoxy the seam all the way around, remove the large screw in takeup and apply plumbers tape and reinsert, add large rubber bands on the front to hold the lids down.By the way, I removed the standard pipe and replaced with a Macs. It really increased the speed.

Back