My experience with the MV Deuce

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

I will probably get beat up for this...but here goes...I have been out with my Deuce twice...the first time out was about 7 tanks, and I think I was on my second run of my second outing when I broke my flex.

OK...lets look at some of the things wrong with the first releases of the MV (pre-deuce)...

1 - Rudder is cast instead of milled (needs to be sanded smooth)

2 - The inside of the hull could use a coat of epoxy...not only to make it smooth and easier to clean, but because the wood mounting blocks and side wood supports don't appear to be sealed. Also the mounting blocks in the early MVs had a tendancy to come loose from the hull.

3 - Engine sometimes does not line up with the stuffing tube.

4 - Radio...a few of us had problems with the old AM radio.

5 - The flex shaft collet does not run true due to the brass collet under the flywheel not being true.

6 - The flex collet wears out on the first release, and does not want to let go of the flex with the second release on the pre-deuce MVs.

7 - There is a small washer between the prop and the prop nut that is LARGER than the hub of the prop.

8 - Radio box breaks easily.

9 - Fuel tank lid does not close well, allowing pressure to leak past the lid.

10 - Header cooks the exhaust coupler leading to early failure.

11 - The drain plug/hole is on the wrong side of the hull.

12 - Speed...two ways of adding speed...either do a sponson mod, or change the engine out.

OK, lets look at what is fixed and what is not fixed out of the list...

1 - Rudder looks like the same rudder...still cast.

2 - The inside of the hull, mounting blocks, and the side wood supports all look the ssame. So far I have lost one of the screws from the fuel tank, and when I noticed my box had water in it, I went to tighten the screws in the bottom if it (common place for leaks in the old version) and the screws just spun. Upon a further look at the fuel tank, I noticed the screw was shorter. I think this is probably the cause of the problem.

3 - I never had a big problem with the early boats (I own four of them) not lining up properly...if they were a little off, I could loosen the screws that held the mount to the wood mounting blocks, push the engine a little left or right and tighten it back up to fix it. Well, this one does not line up and you can't fix it like the old ones...tighter tolerance between the screws and the mount. I lost a flex, S/B Y535, and bushing on my second time out due to a broken flex shaft that I think was caused by this misalignment. It also appears the engine is a little high for the stuffing tube. I guess that is my fault for not trying harder to line things up better when I realized they were not lined up well from the factory. I have never lost a flex before that was not part of a collisiong with the shore or something like that, till now.

4 - No problem yet with the radio...once I figured out how to bind the TX and RX. I have never had a 2.4 radio before...and when this one came without being married, and the instructions not saying anything...it took me a little while to figure out to take the receiver out of the baloon, and push the little recessed button on it to bind the RX and TX. If its in the instructions, I can't find it...and I looked twice.

5 - This collet does not run true from the factory. It is not far off, but it is off. The earlier boat, I never had this problem until I started messing with the flywheel (taking it off and putting it back on). This one was not true from the factory.

6 - The flex shaft collet on this one holds the flex too tight. It is a ***** to get loose. The flex actually looked sanded a little from the factory...the windings looked a little flattened. Also, the flex does not appear to be soldered...I had one strand that was trying to unwind when I first removed the flex.

7 - That little washer is still there...and still too large.

8 - They supposedly fixed the radio box...I have not had my boat long enough to know if it will be a problem or not.

9 - Same fuel tank...same problem. This one is probably the worst tank I have seen.

10 - Header comes with an SV27 cooler that a lot of us added to the early release MVs...nice upgrade.

11 - Drain plug and hole are still on the wrong side of the hull. This surprised me because they redid the molds to include a built in sponson mod...so I would have thought they would have moved the drain hole too.

12 - Well...the sponson mod is built in...and I only got a couple runs into my second trip out, so have not found a tune yet (only had one run with the GPS, and it was 28.5 MPH). The speeds I am hearing from folks that are using a Y535 is 35 - 40. I am a little baffled by this, because I had heard tell of 40+ MPH speeds with a sponson mod and the stock AQ engine...and I am pushing 40 - 43 MPH with the stock hull (no sponson mod), Y535, and a CVRM. Part of the reason I am baffled is because the new engine is listed with the same numbers as the CVRM. If this was true, I would think the ST engine would push the boat well up into the 40s with a built in sponson mod and a Y535. I think the ST engine specs are a bit exagerated, or the muffled pipe is not letting the engine fully unload. I will do some more testing when I have time.

An added problem I had on my Deuce that I had not experienced with the earlier releases of the MV, was that the bushing to flex clearance is too tight. Not sure if the bushing is spinning in the stuffing tube, or if the flex is turning in the bushing with how tight it was.

The HSN come set 4 turns out from the factory. This is blubbering rich, to the point (in my environment) that it would not run without the glow plug igniter attached. I had to turn it in about 3/4 of a turn to get it to run on the water so I could start the break in process.

This boat handles rough water better than the older MVs. Not sure if it is the sponson mod, the deep strut setting, or a combination of both. This boat went through water that my Mod MV would not have handled well.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Been waiting to see a lengthy review on this new boat..

Honesty is the best policy..

Thanks for sharing

Alden

Ran mine Saturday Sean, got about 8 tanks through it before OKC. Runs well, I stayed with a 2 blade on this one. Lots of attack angle on he sponsons and I would imagine that above 40 the boat would be really light. I am taking this one to OKC with nothing touched except prop. Blaine will run it in Juniors and Sam will run it in Mod. I would say I saw mid to high 30s when I ran it. DT drinks fuel in a big hurry, you will not finish if you start imediately at the start of pit time.

Kelly

Ran mine Saturday Sean, got about 8 tanks through it before OKC. Runs well, I stayed with a 2 blade on this one. Lots of attack angle on he sponsons and I would imagine that above 40 the boat would be really light. I am taking this one to OKC with nothing touched except prop. Blaine will run it in Juniors and Sam will run it in Mod. I would say I saw mid to high 30s when I ran it. DT drinks fuel in a big hurry, you will not finish if you start imediately at the start of pit time.

Kelly
I just heard tonight that stock RTR made class too (mod RTR had already made). Glad to hear it. I think Ash will run the Deuce in stock, and my mod MV in mod RTR. need to see if I can get the deuce figured out a little more before then though. I am at about 2.5 turns out on the HSN, with the strut set to 1 1/8th inch below the hull (bottom of hull to center of stuffing tube where it goes in the strut)...and it is running like it needs the strut moved up. If this wind will ever stop so I can get some speed runs in, I want to finish up the GPS tunes to figure out the right HSN setting. Do you know where you wound up with the HSN?? I hope the boat works out, I really want to try it with a CVRM in it and an M440 some day...

BTW...we are in for some LOOONNNGGGGG days during the race. I think we are over 200 boats now...also heard we have a guest anouncer :D .

Sean

GRIM May I?

I have found that if I feel I might get beat up for my post I back up and re-read a few times. But reading your post I don’t see it that way..

I would like to comment on a few things however.

Sean: I will probably get beat up for this...but here goes...I have been out with my Deuce twice...the first time out was about 7 tanks, and I think I was on my second run of my second outing when I broke my flex.

Grim: 1-12 is old news and Im just going to pass that up

Sean: OK, lets look at what is fixed and what is not fixed out of the list...

1 - Rudder looks like the same rudder...still cast.

Grim: If its not broken it does not need fixing..

2 - The inside of the hull, mounting blocks, and the side wood supports all look the ssame. So far I have lost one of the screws from the fuel tank, and when I noticed my box had water in it, I went to tighten the screws in the bottom if it (common place for leaks in the old version) and the screws just spun. Upon a further look at the fuel tank, I noticed the screw was shorter. I think this is probably the cause of the problem.

Grim: If its not broken it does not need fixing.. don’t know why its on this list?

3 - I never had a big problem with the early boats (I own four of them) not lining up properly...if they were a little off, I could loosen the screws that held the mount to the wood mounting blocks, push the engine a little left or right and tighten it back up to fix it. Well, this one does not line up and you can't fix it like the old ones...tighter tolerance between the screws and the mount. I lost a flex, S/B Y535, and bushing on my second time out due to a broken flex shaft that I think was caused by this misalignment. It also appears the engine is a little high for the stuffing tube. I guess that is my fault for not trying harder to line things up better when I realized they were not lined up well from the factory. I have never lost a flex before that was not part of a collisiong with the shore or something like that, till now.

Grim: I like to remove the radio box and bend the brass to get the alignment.. its easy to do and when set stays put… also in testing we have found that a miss aligned shaft for the most part just makes a bunch of noise.. I personal have not broke a shaft since the old .125” units

4 - No problem yet with the radio...once I figured out how to bind the TX and RX. I have never had a 2.4 radio before...and when this one came without being married, and the instructions not saying anything...it took me a little while to figure out to take the receiver out of the baloon, and push the little recessed button on it to bind the RX and TX. If its in the instructions, I can't find it...and I looked twice.

Grim: I have no idea why your system was not bound.. I will make sure we investigate this one!

5 - This collet does not run true from the factory. It is not far off, but it is off. The earlier boat, I never had this problem until I started messing with the flywheel (taking it off and putting it back on). This one was not true from the factory.

(Grim: we worked on this and well.. its better but just a tad.. Im still not 100% happy.. but……… you pick your battles…)

6 - The flex shaft collet on this one holds the flex too tight. It is a ***** to get loose. The flex actually looked sanded a little from the factory...the windings looked a little flattened. Also, the flex does not appear to be soldered...I had one strand that was trying to unwind when I first removed the flex.

Grim: its really a matter of soldering the end of the cable and clean up.. Every cable IS soldered.. to do it right with the fits we have one has to just about remove all the surface solder……..leaving the rest inside the cable.. the part you can not see.. regardless its likely the fray that was causing you to have to yank extra hard to remove the cable.

7 - That little washer is still there...and still too large.

Grim: the dia of the strut bullet is 9mm.. the washer 6.5 and the drive dog 6.3.. having said that as many times as I have asked them to just leave the washer out they some how just keep adding it.. again you pick your battles.. Im not sure this was even worth the time it took for both of us to type this up…lol.. but I guess you saw some value in it…

8 - They supposedly fixed the radio box...I have not had my boat long enough to know if it will be a problem or not.

(Grim: We tested and tested plastics and found the best we could.. Testing shows is better but until its wood.. it will never be as good as I feel It could be!)

9 - Same fuel tank...same problem. This one is probably the worst tank I have seen.

(Grim.. I would like to have somebody prove to me the tank is a problem.. I have HOURS on what is a good tank and what is a bad tank and still can not prove the tank is causing any issues.. the ONLY thing I don’t like is the vibration sloshing that the darn thing leaves in the boat… relay.. silly as it sounds.. I have really tried to prove the tank a problem and.. well.. could not PROVE IT.. so.. the tank stayed.. I would much rather have a standard style tank in the boat because it’s the way we do RC boats but again.. it works….

10 - Header comes with an SV27 cooler that a lot of us added to the early release MVs...nice upgrade.

Grim: Thanks!

11 - Drain plug and hole are still on the wrong side of the hull. This surprised me because they redid the molds to include a built in sponson mod...so I would have thought they would have moved the drain hole too.

Grim: Sorry but I have to disagree with you on this.. “IF” the drain hole was JUST A HOLE AND NOT MENT FOR A PLUG.. you would have a point but the fact that it has a plug changes things. I for one (along with others in this business) would get HUNG for drilling a hole in the boat and “just leaving it open” do you see my point?.. hope so.

12 - Well...the sponson mod is built in...and I only got a couple runs into my second trip out, so have not found a tune yet (only had one run with the GPS, and it was 28.5 MPH). The speeds I am hearing from folks that are using a Y535 is 35 - 40. I am a little baffled by this, because I had heard tell of 40+ MPH speeds with a sponson mod and the stock AQ engine...and I am pushing 40 - 43 MPH with the stock hull (no sponson mod), Y535, and a CVRM. Part of the reason I am baffled is because the new engine is listed with the same numbers as the CVRM. If this was true, I would think the ST engine would push the boat well up into the 40s with a built in sponson mod and a Y535. I think the ST engine specs are a bit exagerated, or the muffled pipe is not letting the engine fully unload. I will do some more testing when I have time.

Grim: Sounds like you need more break in and test time.. Mine runs 40 with the 36X55… The boat will race this weekend and after its over Im going to give the boat away.. you can ask the person who wins the boat how fast it goes.. you don’t have to believe me, dunny. Ken H or the others..

An added problem I had on my Deuce that I had not experienced with the earlier releases of the MV, was that the bushing to flex clearance is too tight. Not sure if the bushing is spinning in the stuffing tube, or if the flex is turning in the bushing with how tight it was.

Grim: well one or the other is happening… maybe just maybe the tight bushing is the reason for your slower speeds..

The HSN come set 4 turns out from the factory. This is blubbering rich, to the point (in my environment) that it would not run without the glow plug igniter attached. I had to turn it in about 3/4 of a turn to get it to run on the water so I could start the break in process.

Grim: Yes it is..

This boat handles rought water better than the older MVs. Not sure if it is the sponson mod, the deep strut setting, or a combination of both. This boat went through water that my Mod MV would not have handled well.

Sean

Thanks for allowing me to add!

Grim

I agree with most... but not the tank issue. They are junk. We bought three of the MV and two of them had tanks that all but came apart from cracking. They looked like a shattered windshield within two weeks of purchase. They were drained of fuel and kept inside between runs, and still broke. Not a biggie though, just put in a Dubro or Sullivan tank, and have fun!

Ronnie

I know of the issue you speak of.. we had a bach of bad plastic (found this on the alligator tours boat as well). Sean did not mention this to be the issue and nor has this been the (typical) issue in the past.

Good catch however the spider crack tanks were more then bad.. a complete swing and a miss on the marital.. I have NO IDEA why they changed them.. I do know this however.. they got STRICT ORDERS to address the issue ASAP! lol.. that was my political way of saying that!

Current boats are not shipping with the spider crack tanks.. and if anybody somehow happens to get one let me know ASAP!

ROCK ON!

Grim

Sounds like I'm not missing all too much buying the Miss Vegas RTR I got (not the Deuce). I had one of those bad tanks too, I have since upgraded to a Dubro tank but I got one too :(

Grim as it sounds to me the New Duce vegas has the same proublems as the old MV second gen..I wouldve thought on this new vegas the proublems/bugs would be corected..But as it sounds it's not..I think I would just get a supertiger.18 and do the sponson runners mods to my second gen vegas.. Ya the tanks are junk.. Mine cracked before the 5th tank run in 07...Now I'm seeing guys replacing them with after market tanks..But was told in 07-08 that wasnt alowed for rtr classes..

Ronnie
I know of the issue you speak of.. we had a bach of bad plastic (found this on the alligator tours boat as well). Sean did not mention this to be the issue and nor has this been the (typical) issue in the past.

Good catch however the spider crack tanks were more then bad.. a complete swing and a miss on the marital.. I have NO IDEA why they changed them.. I do know this however.. they got STRICT ORDERS to address the issue ASAP! lol.. that was my political way of saying that!

Current boats are not shipping with the spider crack tanks.. and if anybody somehow happens to get one let me know ASAP!

ROCK ON!

Grim

I just check my boat for the bad tank and i got one!!! I have only had 6 or 7 tanks throw mine and there is all ready spider cracks in it.. Grim what do i do?

Also a Little Mod im going to do is Drill out my tank mounting holes and put some Groments in there . any hardware store has them.. this should help?

Tim,

Call hobby services (number in the manual) and Im sure they can hook you up with a new tank.

I want to carify.. you have a U-18 Miss Vegas and not a Miss Vegas Deuce?

Grim

Well,

I currently have a new Duece. Alex will be racing it at Evansville. When I got it, I put a thin coat of epoxy on some dry wood. No biggie, 5 min top. I realigned the shaft as I had already taken it out to grease it. So far, I have left the Teflon in but I am not a big fan of it. I am waiting to see if shaft oilers will be legal or not. I must not have a bad tank, as the boat itself now has eight runs on it. And the tank has done an extra 4 as we helped a girl in Celina who had one of the bad tanks. (standard vegas) As was stated earlier, mine came out to the lake so rich I had to lean it to get it to stay running. I have no problem with this. Mainly because if you start an new engine lean you will probably score the piston and may blow it up. Neither of this things are something I am fond of. The first four runs was with the stock prop. The boat was running well enough to let Alex drive and he ran the boat completely out of fuel....Three times. haha!!

On the fifth run, we switched to a 36X55 that I sharpened and Balanced. The boat ran well even rich. I did not bring my radar gun. But I know for sure I was in the high thirties to low forties, I did not touch the strut, but the boat was too loose for my preference. However, Even with my son driving it hard into the wind, it never blew off. I will get a gun on it at Evansville on Friday and post what I find. I never had the strut bushing problem. I pulled off the washer that you guys were talking about being too big. I didnt like it either, so I tossed in my junk screw drawer.

I dont like the turn fin, so, its gone, right now, I have a U-L 1 fin on it, but I have ordered the standard grim replacement to stay within the rules. I dont even know how the stock fin worked as It never made it out of the shop. The rudder, while I dont like what it weighs, Its tough and its functional. So it stays. I did sharpen and round the bottom, But I did not polish it. I like the sanded finish. It matches my sanded ride pads.

I am with Grim on the radio box. Until its wood, that may be as good as it gets. I will bring an idea to him at Evansville, But I am not sure how it will work on a production line. I hope I dont forget it.

The drain hole, hmmm, I have holes on the back of my boats to drain water when it comes in. they are usually taped when its running. To me, this whole is no big deal.

All in all, This is a good boat for the money. Yep, you can get a better boat, but you will have to BUILD IT and you will have to buy everything separately.

As for Anna, I think she already has a few cool looking good boats. Since you have the sponson mods, I think I would just buy a motor and not worry about a new boat. But then again, think of all the work you would put Joe through modding that boat to your liking. haha My two cents. Ken

I just wanted to add...I like the first post as it is a great product review and I did not see any BASHING in but just facts or issues that he noticed.

Grim's response to this post was awesome as he did not take offense but offered possible solutions and honest answers to the first post.

This is an awesome thread!!!! Let's keep it that way....NICE AND CLEAN.... no mudslinging.

Just my .02

Robert

Well, I currently have a new Duece. Alex will be racing it at Evansville. When I got it, I put a thin coat of epoxy on some dry wood. No biggie, 5 min top. I realigned the shaft as I had already taken it out to grease it. So far, I have left the Teflon in but I am not a big fan of it. I am waiting to see if shaft oilers will be legal or not. I must not have a bad tank, as the boat itself now has eight runs on it. And the tank has done an extra 4 as we helped a girl in Celina who had one of the bad tanks. (standard vegas) As was stated earlier, mine came out to the lake so rich I had to lean it to get it to stay running. I have no problem with this. Mainly because if you start an new engine lean you will probably score the piston and may blow it up. Neither of this things are something I am fond of. The first four runs was with the stock prop. The boat was running well enough to let Alex drive and he ran the boat completely out of fuel....Three times. haha!!

On the fifth run, we switched to a 36X55 that I sharpened and Balanced. The boat ran well even rich. I did not bring my radar gun. But I know for sure I was in the high thirties to low forties, I did not touch the strut, but the boat was too loose for my preference. However, Even with my son driving it hard into the wind, it never blew off. I will get a gun on it at Evansville on Friday and post what I find. I never had the strut bushing problem. I pulled off the washer that you guys were talking about being too big. I didnt like it either, so I tossed in my junk screw drawer.

I dont like the turn fin, so, its gone, right now, I have a U-L 1 fin on it, but I have ordered the standard grim replacement to stay within the rules. I dont even know how the stock fin worked as It never made it out of the shop. The rudder, while I dont like what it weighs, Its tough and its functional. So it stays. I did sharpen and round the bottom, But I did not polish it. I like the sanded finish. It matches my sanded ride pads.

I am with Grim on the radio box. Until its wood, that may be as good as it gets. I will bring an idea to him at Evansville, But I am not sure how it will work on a production line. I hope I dont forget it.

The drain hole, hmmm, I have holes on the back of my boats to drain water when it comes in. they are usually taped when its running. To me, this whole is no big deal.

All in all, This is a good boat for the money. Yep, you can get a better boat, but you will have to BUILD IT and you will have to buy everything separately.

As for Anna, I think she already has a few cool looking good boats. Since you have the sponson mods, I think I would just buy a motor and not worry about a new boat. But then again, think of all the work you would put Joe through modding that boat to your liking. haha My two cents. Ken
Gim if I stick in a after market tank and stick a supertiger.18,will it be legal for rtr?? at the Celina races 3/4 of the vegas had after mark tanks in them..

Miss Hydro,

At this point and maybe forever.. its going to depend on what the local club decides.

We are going to put on the AquaCraft web site our (standardized rule set) in hopes that new people coming in have some guidance regarding racing the boats.. "IF" others (i.e. current clubs) decide to give them a try its just a "confusion removing bonus"

ROCK ON

Look for that soon on the Vegas Deuce web page

Grim

Our District 8 Rules for Sport 18 RTR allow upgrades to original hulls using parts(engine/tune pipe/) using parts from the original mfgs. I plan on running the Vegas Deuce in Sport 18 Stock this Saturday and then stick the ST engine and quiet pipe in my MV w/sponson mods to race the Mod Class on Sunday.

Grim is right on when stating that the local clubs/and or district should establish the rules. Allowing a replacement tank to provide reliability seems like a no brainer to me.

JD

Jerry,

Thats not 100 percent what im saying. but thats not a bad deal either.

I personally feel quite strong that some standard org should whip up the rules.. OR.. let us (AquaCraft, others) help guide the clubs and or racers to removing confusion. Lets face it we (aquacraft and others) drum up the new people.. if they deiced to race clubs and orgs need to help guide them.. Most will never race out side the dist……so its not that big a deal.. or… will they aspire to? Hard to want to aspire when its not like “the local club” does it.. lots of people get green when it comes to travel anyway..

No real wrong way to do it..

Having said that I have a hard time seeing any real growth past what we have now regarding racing RTR boats, just too much confusion.

ROCK ON

Grim

Off the the races

Jerry,
Thats not 100 percent what im saying. but thats not a bad deal either.

I personally feel quite strong that some standard org should whip up the rules.. OR.. let us (AquaCraft, others) help guide the clubs and or racers to removing confusion. Lets face it we (aquacraft and others) drum up the new people.. if they deiced to race clubs and orgs need to help guide them.. Most will never race out side the dist……so its not that big a deal.. or… will they aspire to? Hard to want to aspire when its not like “the local club” does it.. lots of people get green when it comes to travel anyway..

No real wrong way to do it..

Having said that I have a hard time seeing any real growth past what we have now regarding racing RTR boats, just too much confusion.

ROCK ON

Grim

Off the the races
Thats one of the reasons why I'm not racing yet..If that vegas duce is faster then my stock vegas I'm not going to keep the aquacraft.18 in my vegas.Just upgrade the motor tune pipe and tank..That should be legal?? Plus I rather save money to upgrade my vegas..Remember when proboat had the .15s in there hydro's and vegas where spanking them??If I remember wright we were talking about that on RCU.. Having the proboat guys running the vegas motors in there hull's to make it fair...Now since pro is making the.18 the pro guys can upgrade there.15s to the.18s...Its just alot of mess thats needs to be address,so we can make things easyer to follow a guide on whats legal and not legal...

Back