Modifications to an Octura Y-537/3

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-O

Guys,

I have acquired a Y537/3 and it looks to me like this prop could benefit from some modifications. (Detounging etc, etc..)

I would like to know what others have done to improve the performance of this prop. :huh:

I am thinking of running this on a P-Mono or P-Sport hydro.

Any & all comments welcome.

Thanks,

Steve,

It depends what you want to accomplish (speed or oval set up)

That blade can be modified for either.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund

Steve,
It depends what you want to accomplish (speed or oval set up)

That blade can be modified for either.

Good Luck,

Mark Sholund
Mark,

Thanks for responding! Seems like no one wants to talk about props.

If I wanted to modify this prop for oval, what would you suggest doing to the prop?

Regards

Steve,

I would profile the blades for better efficency in the water.

That should make it work quite well. As far as working the propeller

Steve, call me and I can tell you over the phone.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

231-590-3023

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,
I would profile the blades for better efficency in the water, Mark Sholund
Mark, Thanks for the response!

Can you explain what you mean by "Profile the Blades for better efficiency"?

Also I have heard many experienced racers say that you should not work (polish) the trailing (rear) surface of the blades, just work the leading edges and blade surface. What's your take on this comment?

Regards,

Steve,

The reason you're not getting responses is because great propeller work is an art. Most of us don't do our own props. We rely on the artist.

Your prop is the key to the performance of your boat. A prop that is correctly modified will make the most of your boat motor combo and is the cheapest gain in speed available.

If you haven't worked on props before, I'd leave it up to the prop gurus out there that know what works and what doesn't. And believe me, for the work that goes into a prop, they're cheap.

The person you're chatting with, Mark Sholund is just that. He's one of the best out there and will do you right.

Do yourself a favor and just let Mark do you a prop. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it.

After you get it, you can compare it to a stock one and a lot of your questions will be answered.

Happy boating!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve,
The reason you're not getting responses is because great propeller work is an art. Most of us don't do our own props. We rely on the artist.

Your prop is the key to the performance of your boat. A prop that is correctly modified will make the most of your boat motor combo and is the cheapest gain in speed available.

If you haven't worked on props before, I'd leave it up to the prop gurus out there that know what works and what doesn't. And believe me, for the work that goes into a prop, they're cheap.

The person you're chatting with, Mark Sholund is just that. He's one of the best out there and will do you right.

Do yourself a favor and just let Mark do you a prop. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it.

After you get it, you can compare it to a stock one and a lot of your questions will be answered.

Happy boating!!
Walt,

Thanks for the reply!

I do agree with you completely about Prop Masters like Mark! They really are artists, and their work is worth the price, for sure.

But.. That's not really the point. I would like to understand how and why one prop works better than another. Is cupping the blades better or more important than backcutting or pitching up for oval racing? Is cutting down the overall diameter better than making a Texas Cut? If I detounge a prop what am I gaining vs losing, etc, etc. My objective is to learn something about the art, in order to understand what to ask for and discuss.

Thanks for the reply, and stick around hopefully this will get interesting.

Regards,

Steve-O

Steve,

Just give me a call,I don't have time right now to type out all of the information

that you want.

Sorry Very Busy Right Now,

Mark Sholund

steve, take the time to call mark. very nice person to talk to, & you will LEARN A LOT. i enjoy doing my own props, have made some good ones, but in the end the money i've spent ruining new props, is way more than having an expert artist do them ;) . check out the general boat forum over at rcu, some very good stickies on props there. also, it would be worth your while to join screamandfly, a full scale high performance boat sight, you can learn a lot from those guys. virtually everything that affects a boat doesn't care what size it is. you'll recognize a lot of names over there :rolleyes: . hope it helps. no i don't, i KNOW it will!!

Back