ML SX400 Nitro Build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What engine is that? I've never seen Nylon water inlet/outlets on head? Anyone have experience with those?

Boat is coming along nicely. Looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything is about ready,.. started the engine and got it running,.. finding the spot on the remote needle for the first time is a pain..

I still need to put something on for the rear cowl attachment.. a couple fasteners and Ill be ready to give it a try..

any suggestions on cowl attachment at the rear?

IMG_11711.JPG

IMG_11741.JPG

IMG_11731.JPG

Anthony,

Looking back through the pictures it looks like the front of your cowling slips under the front of the hull, correct?

If so, I have had great luck with the rare earth magnets from Lee Valley Supply http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=58750&cat=1,42363,42348

The 3/8" is more than enough to hold your cowling in place..... but breaks free without tearing up the cowling in a blow over or accident

Thanks Rick,.. I found some domestically with a countersink for a fastener.. Get them faster this way.. Ill be giving this a try..

Where did you find them at Anthony?

Just a note, if the cowling is able to slide back, it will. I use a small piece of wood on the bottom side of the cowling that will hit against the inside of the transom to keep it from sliding aft....

AND OFF

I got them from http://www.kjmagnetics.com/

I bought 1/4 and 3/8,.. using the 3/8 on the sp40,.. I would use the 1/4 on a rigger.. I got the ones that are counter sunk for a flat head screw. shipping is high on these for some reason.. I will use these now forever!!

1st run report

Went to the pond today. The first runs are where I usually find what I forgot to tighten. So...

I started with a 448 2 blade, aa45 engine and pipe. Pipe at 9.5 65percent fuel. I am running a flat bottom strut that rounded the edges of a little. The boat is set up flat, tub level, strut dead level.

The engine is mounted with the center line right on the sponson heal.

Man, the boat is really a winner. Needs a bit of a push to launch but just a little. First runs were not insane fast. No radar today but compared with my rigger which I know the speed of, this is running right about 58-60 mph. Pretty fast really. My hull is built with stepped sponsons and all flat running surfaces. The bottom is sanded to 400.

The boat is on the big side for 40 boat. It builds light though. Rocked right through some rough water.

I'm sure there is a lot more speed in it. More prop and a little shorter pipe will get to mid 60s I think

This boat is different than mikes GP series it doesn't have the drooped sponson rears that were creating more lift than some liked. It takes a bit to get this set up for nitro but it's well worth it Might go again tomorrow.

The only issue I had today was that the carb barrel and linkage came loose. Boat was slowing and I didn't know why. Was only getting to half throttle.

So. This boat is as good or better than any sp40 I've seen. I'm loving it

Video update..

The linkage between the carb barrel and the carb arm came loose so I was not getting full throttle on this run,. Still. the boat looks good on the water..

No comments? I know it's slow in the video but I think it's still pretty good. Suggestions please
Anthony,,, what I see looks pretty dang good. For you first time out with it, it seems to be motoring right along.

Bring that bad boy down and lets mix it up in Florida in January. The Nitro boys are planning a party,,, lets make a BASH

I have my Macs pipe,.. looking for an exhaust stinger muffler.. Don't want to get kicked off the lake! I have looked at the ones John has at Technology Hobbies.. Any comments or suggestions on others?

Might just put the AA quiet pipe back on for this weekends testing.

Test report #2,.

I was able to put the boat and engine through the paces a bit more today. Things went well. I can see that I do need the CG a little more forward,.. I lowered the strut a bit more than optimum to keep it in the water,.. still blew off a time or two when the tanks were low. Overall a super running SP40..

I ran 2 props today and a a few pipe settings. The first prop was a x448,.. stock ,. Pipe at 9.25,.. shortened pipe to 8.625,.. and yeah,.. it was turning serious RPM,.. and fast.. I switched to x450,.. The boat was stupid fast but this showed the need for moving the CG,.. at less that half tank the boat would lift.. also it took a long time to spool up.. but ****,.. it was really freakin cooking that first half,.. very impressed.. After a very long wait while the boat got close enough to cast for I decided to pull the pipe back but run the same prop.. just to get more time learning to drive the boat.

The video here is with the 450 and the pipe at about 9.125,.. not the fastest setting by far.. but still cookin.. The boat did blow off at the end of the run. I will be getting the CG to 1in behind the sponson heal..

Still I think this boat rocks.. The boat is big for a sp40, and it's real fast.., and handles fantastic. now I have not had it in a lake full of sp40 boats.. and this video was calm water,.. true.. but more testing and video to follow.. Also.. this was far from the fastest runs.. it was a good deal faster with the short pipe.. but I didn't want to go back there till I get the CG adjusted. flipped anyway.. but still BIG FUN MAN

Next testing will be with a MS 450 with some slight improvements. Also a macs pipe with Rumracing stinger.. Might try the stinger on this pipe to see if it gets real quite,.. gotta keep the lake man..

Please provide comments and suggestions,..thx

Looks fast. Maybe add some weight to keep from having to move the motor forward or add some air defussers to keep the air away from the air traps.

Bring it to Evansville in the fall. 28 Sport 40's.

Back