Mixing nitro fuel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noelb

Hi everbody from New Zealand, I'm wanting to run my OS XM Outboard on 65% nitro, but cannot buy here, so i'm going to mix it myself. I've mixed 50% successfully, but i'm told that over 50% requires an additive to stop nitro splitting from methanol. Can any body tell me if this is correct or not and if it is,then what is the additive and what is percentage neccessary. I mix my fuel by vol. Thanks for any help.

I think that you are referring to the castor precipitating out at high nitro%. MeOH and Nitro mix just fine. I regularly mix 70-80% fuel with pure synthetic (morgan blue and LB625) with no issue. DEpending on hte ambient temp, a little propylene oxide may also be added.

Hi everbody from New Zealand, I'm wanting to run my OS XM Outboard on 65% nitro, but cannot buy here, so i'm going to mix it myself. I've mixed 50% successfully, but i'm told that over 50% requires an additive to stop nitro splitting from methanol. Can any body tell me if this is correct or not and if it is,then what is the additive and what is percentage neccessary. I mix my fuel by vol. Thanks for any help.

I think that you are referring to the castor precipitating out at high nitro%. MeOH and Nitro mix just fine. I regularly mix 70-80% fuel with pure synthetic (morgan blue and LB625) with no issue. DEpending on hte ambient temp, a little propylene oxide may also be added.
Thats great news, i'm using full synthetic oil. I know about problems with castor, which is why i switched to syn back in the 70's, as my nitro %s got higher. Thank's for the info!

What is Morgan Blue and LB625 if you don't mind me asking?

Dave

Morgan Blue is the Blue synthetic oil sold by Morgan Fuels in Alabama. LB625 is a glycol ester material made by Union Carbide. It is a very effective synthetic lubricant as well. I use them in a 1:2 blend. I also use a fairly low oil % in my fuel. (9% oil in the 65% nitro fuel, and 12% oil in 50% nitro)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jon, The oil i,m using is Mobil Jet 2. turbine oil. Have used it for years, originaly in 1/8 onroad cars at 5% oil and 50% nitro with no problems. I was going to use 10% oil in my 65% nitro boat fuel, I then see that you use 9% so im thinking my reasoning was pretty good. Thanks again for the info,no reply from local NZ forum or modelpowerboat forum. Thank you, Noel. Jet 2 similar properties to LB625

We use Klotz Super TechniPlate and run our .21s on 66% (2 gal nitro, 1/2 gal methonol, 1/2 gal Super TechniPlate). Mix the oil and Methenol together first makes it a little easier to mix. Works great wins races, never had any trouble,

Hi Noel

You probably didn't get a reply from anyone on the NZMPBA Yuku forum because hardly anybody, if anyobody at all, runs nitro percentages that high here in NZ.

If I were you I'd get some time on the water with what you have at 35% or 50% and get some water time under your belt. As you probably know, you'll more than likely find a 1000 things to do to make the boat faster, stay on the water without needing any extra nitro for now anyway.

Not sure where you are based, but take a look at NZMPBA.co.nz to find your local club and you'll get more help that way than on a forum.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Noel

You probably didn't get a reply from anyone on the NZMPBA Yuku forum because hardly anybody, if anyobody at all, runs nitro percentages that high here in NZ.

If I were you I'd get some time on the water with what you have at 35% or 50% and get some water time under your belt. As you probably know, you'll more than likely find a 1000 things to do to make the boat faster, stay on the water without needing any extra nitro for now anyway.

Not sure where you are based, but take a look at NZMPBA.co.nz to find your local club and you'll get more help that way than on a forum.

Cheers

Bob
SORRY I made a human error and pushed wrong button.

Hi Noel

Cheers

Bob
Hi Bob 2nd try Am member of MMPBC and no one answered on their forum, first run boats 28 yrs ago, now back again.

Hi Noel

Know what you mean about the MMPBC Forum, I tried to join that forum a year ago and still haven't evene bee approved. (Maybe my reputation preceded me! LOL)

Good to have you back in the sport.

Cheers

Bob

Back